Remap...advice please

Aaquil

Hi there

I have an octavia elegance 1.8T 4x4

I want to get it remapped...I usually go to Awesome as I think they are very good and professional.

They do a APR remap for around £450 in total...I have had the trial which seemed pretty good...

Just a few questions

(1) Is it worth it? Bang for buck.

(2) Normal driving will fuel economy be better or worse?

(3) Will it cane my clutch/gearbox?

(4) anyone had this particular one done?

(5) I want good accerleration and thats about it not bothered about top end will it achieve that well?

(6) Do I need the brake pads uprated and if so what ones?

(7) Is it wise to get an oil change done before I get it remapped and then more often?

(8) Any other comments?

They also do a headlight upgrade for my car anyone had similar done?

What about 4 wheel alignment - Worth getting done?

Tyres are sound - New Goodyear Eagle F1 all round

Thanks

Aaquil

As vRSLen said, check the insurance first. If you get a good quote, let me know as it is the main thing stopping me getting a remap. The other option is that you don't tell anyone, but fans of Earl will know that Karma will get you back.

1) Is it worth it? Bang for buck

Yes, a remap is one of the best mods you can have for the money

(2) Normal driving will fuel economy be better or worse?

Economy will improve slightly when mapped correctly

(3) Will it cane my clutch/gearbox?

No, stage 1 software should be developed around the stock clutch

(4) anyone had this particular one done?

N/A

(5) I want good accerleration and thats about it not bothered about top end will it achieve that well?

Yes, lower rev range pick up is vastly improved, with very strong mid range torque. Our software is developed to hold torque at higher revs...not just an aggressive spike with heavy tail off...this will differ between different maps though

(6) Do I need the brake pads uprated and if so what ones?

Unless you intending to track the car, then the brakes will be fine. EBC greenstuff are good road pads though

(7) Is it wise to get an oil change done before I get it remapped and then more often?

Just make sure your car is serviced correctly. Once mapped services and oil changes are exactly the same

(8) Any other comments?

Make sure the car has a good health check and diagnostics before mapping to ensure all is well before mapping

We offer members the P-Torque remap for £265.00 all in.

Please have a read of our forum section for other member reviews :thumbup:

Edited by p-torque.co.uk

Do a bit of a check/todo list before getting it done to get the most out of your remap and make sure its all healthy. Pretty much same as

p-torque.co.uk said and depends how much you want to spend, but i'd go for:

Air filter

Full exhaust

ARB

Forge dv

Tyres depth ok

brakes if need be (OEM are fine)

Service kept up

Diagnostic check

and all levels are fine

Whether you want to or already have these done its upto you.

Id keep a bit of money aside incase anything goes wrong, as you never know, may just be a coincidence.

Hope your happy with the remap though.

I got the APR map at Awesome - first thing I did - worth every penny.

Most passengers say, "you don't need more power than that"

no issues

no change in mpg

nice and smooth especially on super unleaded

25% hike in power for under £500, can't think of any mod for that return for any car other than a VAG 1.8T

I got DNA remap for quite some time and more than 25k miles. It feels very well. I had no isssues whatsoever. I changed dump valve to forge 007p, pannel filter to piperx, denso iridium plugs IK20. That's all. It was twice cheaper than APR, Revo and similar big players:thumbup:.

I got DNA remap for quite some time and more than 25k miles. It feels very well. I had no isssues whatsoever. I changed dump valve to forge 007p, pannel filter to piperx, denso iridium plugs IK20. That's all. It was twice cheaper than APR, Revo and similar big players:thumbup:.

:iagree:

DNAs maps are among the best. Their characteristic is smooth and well balanced. They feel like you have a bigger engine rather than squeezing the last drop from a smaller one (hope that makes sense).

AND, if you want to do this on a budget, you can get a postal remap from ECU Evolution (who use DNAs maps) for about £150.

can you post the printout for your power please as I am wanting another remap and i want one that is smooth as the last APR i had wasnt smooth, was the trial thou.

TIA

billy

I had the APR trial from Awesome as well, seemed fine to me. After a couple of days it seemed to settle down (or maybe I just got used to it), and was just as smooth as standard (just twice as fast!).

Peaked at 17psi, and I ran it on V-Power 99. Not sure about mpg, mainly because I don't care that much! Petrol won't be about forever, so make the most of it!

When I have the money, I'll be going back for the full version.

:iagree:

DNAs maps are among the best. Their characteristic is smooth and well balanced. They feel like you have a bigger engine rather than squeezing the last drop from a smaller one (hope that makes sense).

AND, if you want to do this on a budget, you can get a postal remap from ECU Evolution (who use DNAs maps) for about £150.

I got mine when they were £99 and am extremly happy. very strong power band throughout

i have an elegance 1.8t, not the 4x4 tho, and just had a re-map at p-torque. now have 197bhp and 193lb-ft of torque, a vast improvement, better low down and mid range torque, and pulls like a train all the way to 6k. seems to have improved economy by about 2-3mpg too. i'd go for it and wouldn't worry about insurance - if the worst does happen and you have an accident, the days are long gone when an insurance engineer will come out to visually inspect your car, your car will be sent to a bodyshop where the in-house estimator will take pictures of the damage, estimate the cost of repair then send all the info via an e-mail direct to your insurance company where a decision will be made to repair or write off, if the latter, a salvage company will come and pick the car up, and you'll get a nice little cheque usually a fraction of what the car is really worth!, i work in a bodyshop so know the routine! this is just my opinion and wouldn't want to influence you at all, at the end of the day its best to be honest! i just choose to not tell! the way i see it unless they put your car on the rollers, they won't detect the re-map, but i may be wrong:O

i have an elegance 1.8t, not the 4x4 tho, and just had a re-map at p-torque. now have 197bhp and 193lb-ft of torque, a vast improvement, better low down and mid range torque, and pulls like a train all the way to 6k.

Love the way people say "pulls like a train"with only 193Lbft of torque. Lol

Hi

Yes we do the trial with APR and I am sorry , but it shows you what you could have

It is a bit of a downer though when it reverts back to standard

Come and give it a try if you like next time your in and we can pop it on for you

We have done many many of these and have all been well enjoyed

The differences between standard and mapped is alot

Always go for a repitable tuner as there are so many out there and the last thing you need is trouble with a poor quality remap

I am here to help if I can , so please feel free to give me a PM if you need any help

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

I have opted for remap and brake upgrade if needed...may get uprated DV as well...going in next Friday to good old AWESOME GTI....defo will leave with a smile and empty wallet!!!

I'm lucky I live quite close to ECU Evolution in South Wales so I am hoping to get mine done as soon as I sell the 17" Spiders I have got. they seem to have their £99 postal offer on ebay again so even better value at the moment. They use DNA maps which a few users on here have.

I have a 2002 Skoda Octavia VRS it had 26,000 miles on it when I chipped it (jabba sport) it now has 97,000.

(1) Is it worth it..Well it makes it faster, with more accesible power in any gear.... If you put it up against a stock vehicle it is Negligible..but when your talking quick cars you need serious power to pull away hard. A chip will probably add 0.5 secs to your 0-60 so are you going to pull away that fast?.....with that said it is a more exciting car to drive with less hesitation.

(2) Yes it does lower your MPG more power has to! I did get 36mpg on motorways now about 30mpg and use to get 26-30 in town, now get about 20-26 mpg. The grin on your face is worth that loss!!

(3) Well it does wear the clutch quicker as more power is bound to. However I had mine done on 26,000 miles, I'm on 97,000 miles now with no indication of the clutch giving up!

(4) Awesome GTI are a really good company so can't go wrong getting it done there. Jabba in my opinion (don't want debate) is the best in the country for this sort of thing....but then again haven't tried anyone else!

(5) Accelaration will improve..Top speed is hugely governed by Cubic Capacity..but it will improve also!

(6) Can't talk about brakes but the VRS are ample for alot of BHP..did a brake test against my mates scubby (non STI) and the VRS performed better.

(7) Depends on when it was last done (in response to getting it done before) I would suggest servicing it more often, with good quality oil. But again this is dependant on your use hard all the time and short journeys I would suggest half intervals, if your more of a motorway cruiser then should be alright for longer!

Edited by squelchy