Fuchs vs Castrol

Hi Everyone.

Looking at getting either Fuchs Titan GT1 Longlife III 5W-30 or Castrol Edge 5W-30 for my VRS on fixed service schedule. Not used either before as this is the first time the car has been serviced in my ownership.

I know many members here use the Castrol, it's just the Fuchs is about £5.00 cheaper on Opie Oils and wondered if anyone had used it and was happy with it.

Thanks

The paperwork I got after my service the other week said Skoda had put Castrol GTX in it so I got a small bottle of that for top-ups.

Castrol GTX thats a blast from the past ,didn't know they still made it.Have they modernised it and now make it in 5w-30 to suit a vRS?

Castrol GTX thats a blast from the past ,didn't know they still made it.Have they modernised it and now make it in 5w-30 to suit a vRS?

Not to my knowledge. I can see this becoming a do skoda recommend semi or full synthetic debate. Fully synth Synta Gold/Castrol edge or Shell Helix, can't go wrong:thumbup:

I have been using the Fuchs Supersyn LL Plus 0w-30 (VW506.01) on variable service intervals without any issues for the last 3 years.

Me too, but even longer than 3 years :) I have found what when I drive the car a bit harder, it does burn a bit more oil (maybe about 1 litre in a 30k service interval, but that is within spec)

I have used their gearbox oil too.

I use Castrol because that's what Skoda use.

Or do they use shell or mobil1 or fuchs?

IIRC the factory fill was Fuchs.

Dealers use whatever meets the standard they get a good price on and skoda "recommend" Shell oils iirc.

by the way £58 for 5L :eek::eek::eek:

Halfords currently have 4L of mobil1 ESP for £37 and 5L of their own oil for £41.

If you go to a local motor factors you will get the Millers VW504/507 oil at £35-£40 for 5L.

Look for the VW specification, eg 504.00 and ignore the sticker on the can. Unless you are into fashion, oil fashion that is. Choose the correct specification for your car and away you go.