VRS TDi Tyres

I've done a quick search but no succinct findings, what are you guys using and what do you recommend? I've to 18" alloys, currently shod with 3 Conti Sport Contact 2's and 1 Crap Brand budget tyre.

Having come from an Alfa 156 V6 I absolutely swore by the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's as the best all round tyre for my style of driving, ie lots of grip, I'm not too worried by noise and can live with quick wear if they provide ultimate grip - no price for safety!!

I have the same car and switched from the Conti's to the new Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric. Couldn't fault them and they love my more aggressive style of driving. My car has also had a remap and they are fine with the extra power/torque.

Will be replacing them with the same.

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta .. Massive tyre. I can't speak for the gooyear F1 assymmetric, but from other reviews i've read on them they havn't as good wet grip or wear rating as the Vredestein's. Look up Camskill.co.uk for a set @ a good price !!

I've had Goodyear F1's recently and would have no hesitation getting them again, they are excellent. Another tyre that I was very impressed with is the Toyo T1-R, good grip wet or dry, ride well and are quiet.

Avoid Kumho, they're OK in the dry, but pants in the wet. Can't wait to get rid of them from my car.

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta .. Massive tyre. I can't speak for the gooyear F1 assymmetric, but from other reviews i've read on them they havn't as good wet grip or wear rating as the Vredestein's. Look up Camskill.co.uk for a set @ a good price !!

Another vote here for the Vredesteins. I had them on my last vRS TFSI and was pleased with all round performance. I'll probably put them on my TDi when I change.

They always come in the top two on the Auto Express tyre tests.

Another vote here for the Vredesteins. I had them on my last vRS TFSI and was pleased with all round performance. I'll probably put them on my TDi when I change.

They always come in the top two on the Auto Express tyre tests.

... yet another vote for Ultrac Sessantas.

Got a set last year (Jonno VRs got his 1st) and just replaced the fronts having worn them out; would have done 12,000 miles which is not bad considering they are under £100 each. Have otherwise used Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s that are good but a little lacking in the wet; long mileage but pricy.

Have a look here for further info;- http://briskoda.net/gearbox-tyres/definitive-tyre-test/89331/

also you might like to read these threads;-

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/octy-vrs-new-tyres/89324/

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/help-tyre-choice/122269/

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/goodyear-assymetric-wear-rate/128600/

my vRS came stad with michelin Exalto's(most people on here had continental sport 2s). they were fine with the car in standard trim, but with the remap, they lacked ultimate grip. especially in the rain.

My sentiment exactly.

Strangely no-one (presently) is using Michelin Pilot Sport PS2; these will give better grip at the expense of mileage. Utrac Sessantas are still better IMHO.

My sentiment exactly.

Strangely no-one (presently) is using Michelin Pilot Sport PS2; these will give better grip at the expense of mileage. Utrac Sessantas are still better IMHO.

Mine came with Bridgestone Potenzas on 17" wheels - and the car was a real handful to the point that I wondered if I'd made a bad choice.:eek: Checked pressures and tried at both ends of the recommended range to no avail. It was ok in the dry but the esp worked overtime in the wet.

Sold them second hand after 3k and bought some Pilot Sport PS2s having been extremely impressed by Pilot Sports on my golf vr6. The vrs was transformed in the wet and dry. They were expensive but as others have said, that small patch of rubber is all that stops you crashing (or transmits all that torque to the road!). I bought mine at my local Costco - they have extremely good prices (at the time, better than any web price), occasionally offer good discounts (like £60 off if you buy four tyres) and fill the tyres with nitrogen at no extra cost. They only stock Michelins and you have to be a member (~£25). When I bought mine it came to about £415 for four. Have done 8k on them and there's still a good amount of tread left on the fronts, rears still look like new.

HTH:thumbup:

Hi,

I've got the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2... rather pricey, but what a difference to the feel on the road !

Dry performance absolutely brilliant, wet is also great (which surprised me).

They wear quickly though.

The side wall flex is very limited, but the ride is a tad harsher. Works well with the suspension I feel. Quite a bit of road noise, but I don't mind that.

Expensive, so my thanks go out to lease company who let me choose the tyres I want. I think privately I wouldn't get them as the value for money is probably not so good.

Plenty to choose from then looking at all the other threads.

Good luck with your choice! :thumbup:

Edit: nitrogen leaks less (slower) than air through the rubber of the tyre - so your tyres stay on the right pressure for longer. Realistically, and for normal use, stick to air. Leave nitrogen for race use of real racy cars.

Hi,

I've got the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2... rather pricey, but what a difference to the feel on the road !

Dry performance absolutely brilliant, wet is also great (which surprised me).

They wear quickly though.

The side wall flex is very limited, but the ride is a tad harsher. Works well with the suspension I feel. Quite a bit of road noise, but I don't mind that.

Expensive, so my thanks go out to lease company who let me choose the tyres I want. I think privately I wouldn't get them as the value for money is probably not so good.

You pays your money and takes your choice. Having used Michelins and Vredesteins recently on a £ per mile basis they are roughly the same; Michelin costs more/lasts longer.

Plenty to choose from then looking at all the other threads.

Good luck with your choice! :thumbup:

Edit: nitrogen leaks less (slower) than air through the rubber of the tyre - so your tyres stay on the right pressure for longer. Realistically, and for normal use, stick to air. Leave nitrogen for race use of real racy cars.

Any self respecting tyre fitting company will offer Nitrogen when fitting new tyres, some for a small price of £1-£2; mine provide it for free.

Essentially (as already suggested); nitrogen has large molecules than the other components of air which are therefore less likely to leak through the tyre and allow it to lose pressure over time. Also nitrogen on its own is more stable under variations of temperature, therefore tyre pressures remain more stable. Filled with compressed air that includes water vapour (humidity), tyres can increase in pressure significantly when hot. More stable tyre pressures = better wear.

Michelin costs more/lasts longer. Any self respecting tyre fitting company will offer Nitrogen when fitting new tyres, some for a small price of £1-£2; mine provide it for free.

Essentially (as already suggested); nitrogen has large molecules than the other components of air which are therefore less likely to leak through the tyre and allow it to lose pressure over time. Also nitrogen on its own is more stable under variations of temperature, therefore tyre pressures remain more stable. Filled with compressed air that includes water vapour (humidity), tyres can increase in pressure significantly when hot. More stable tyre pressures = better wear.

Agreed! Gone this route for the last year and wouldn't go back to air as I can do galactic mileages! Our dealer also offers liftime pressure checks & topups for free!

As well as Michelin PS2's I would also agree with a :thumbup: for Toyo T1-R's I was very impressed with them, got over 24K out of the last set. Nearly put Verdestiens on this last time, but got a good deal on the PS2's so went for them again instead.