Uphill-start off-assist

i was told mine had it when i bought it but can never find it nor has it worked.. vrstu will proably know the answer and if its on vagcom and if it can be enabled (awaiting stu's post now as i want to know too) :thumbup:

There are two levels of ESP:

1) Basic --> ABS + EBV + MSR + ASR + EDS + HBA

2) Full --> Basic + DSR + HHC

---

ABS - Anti-lock Brake System

EBV - Electronic Brake Variator

MSR - Motor Speed Regulator

ASR - Accelerator Slip Reduction

EDS - Electronic Differential Shutter

HBA - Hydraulic Brake Assistant

DSR - Driver Steering Recommendation

HHC - Hill Hold Control

There are two levels of ESP:

1) Basic --> ABS + EBV + MSR + ASR + EDS + HBA

2) Full --> Basic + DSR + HHC

---

ABS - Anti-lock Brake System

EBV - Electronic Brake Variator

MSR - Motor Speed Regulator

ASR - Accelerator Slip Reduction

EDS - Electronic Differential Shutter

HBA - Hydraulic Brake Assistant

DSR - Driver Steering Recommendation

HHC - Hill Hold Control

Yep we know that , but myself and smstext are wondering what difference in hardware is there or is it a vagcom thing.

Don't bother would be my advice... The sensor is a apparently set to 5%, but how do you know whether you are on a 4.5 or 5.1% incline? Take your foot off the brake and see if you roll back?

So yes it does work, but is rarely useful.

One of my frustrations with Skoda is that although the hard work has been done, the details have been forgotten about: No maxidot display of hill hold, cruise control speed etc... No dash display of front fog lights... These should have been the easy bits! :(

I am confused - would a 2007 vRS manual petrol wagon have hill hold - mine does not appear to - I had it on a previous car and found it to very useful when I got used to it.

I also notice that one of the German users on here (from Leverkusen?) mentions he has hill hold on his vRS TDI wagon in the listing of his car spec.

Don't bother would be my advice... The sensor is a apparently set to 5%, but how do you know whether you are on a 4.5 or 5.1% incline? Take your foot off the brake and see if you roll back?

So yes it does work, but is rarely useful.

One of my frustrations with Skoda is that although the hard work has been done, the details have been forgotten about: No maxidot display of hill hold, cruise control speed etc... No dash display of front fog lights... These should have been the easy bits! :(

was out in a vw passet today and didnt show the above either, even tried the fogs whilst bored in traffic and just lights up the light on the light knob as in the skoda so it looks like its a vag thing.

My 2008 Scout has the hill-hold function. I don't think it is a standard feature of the VRs. I don't think it can be enabled in VAGcom because there needs to be a tilt sensor to sense the angle of the slope.

In practice I find the facility frustrating. It is fine on a steep slope, especially when I have my caravan in tow. However in more normal situations you never know when it is going to work. How do you judge 5 degrees? What would be more effective is for a tell-tale light in the intrumentation to light up when the tilt sensor detects an angle of 5 degrees or more and the car is stationary. Then you know it would work.

I agree with scouter2 that the instrumentation could be more user friendly.

My 2008 Scout has the hill-hold function. I don't think it is a standard feature of the VRs. I don't think it can be enabled in VAGcom because there needs to be a tilt sensor to sense the angle of the slope.

In practice I find the facility frustrating. It is fine on a steep slope, especially when I have my caravan in tow. However in more normal situations you never know when it is going to work. How do you judge 5 degrees? What would be more effective is for a tell-tale light in the intrumentation to light up when the tilt sensor detects an angle of 5 degrees or more and the car is stationary. Then you know it would work.

I agree with scouter2 that the instrumentation could be more user friendly.

Regarding the tilt sensor, it hardly utilises the tilt sensor for the alarm i wonder?

My 2006 1.9 DSG Diesel Estate definitely does not have hill start assist. I ticked the boxes for all the ESP, etc. boxes when I bought it, but don't remember hill start assist being an option.

I always hold the car on the footbrake when at a temporary standstill (to disengage the DSG drive). If I am on an upwards slope then I use the handbrake as well as the footbrake, then release the footbrake a moment before releasing the handbrake. On a gentle slope this is sufficient, on a greater slope I release the footbrake, apply some suitable power, and then release the handbrake.

When you release the footbrake you can feel (after half a second or so) the clutch bite and the car tries to pull forward. This makes it very like doing a handbrake start on a manual car.

Cheers, Mike.