Are your keys safe?

A warning do not leave your car keys downstairs while sleeping........

This morning I found that some had broken into the house, opened drawers, cupboards, looked in tea caddy - did take my laptop but sure were really looking for my VRS key (didn't take digital camera or other goodies in the house - but did move them.....)

Police also certain it was the car they were after - dog useless, didn't bark!

Alan:mad:

This is how most cars are stolen now. Either that or the beat your **** in at the lights and leave you in a bloody, bubbling mess at the kerb.

My keys stay under the pillow along side the mobile and the house keys.

I now know how to get yours now!:rofl::rofl:

just see what happens when you have your morning shower...

Thanks to all for the good wishes - car is safe, I am safe and the useless dog is safe.....

Alan

Edited by barlborough

I would advise everyone to take their keys to bed with them :thumbup::thumbup:!!!!

I don't want some scally coming upstairs looking for my keys. Not that it would do them any good if they did get them ;)

From experience, 99 times out of 100, the scumbags will either sneak in quietly by forcing your doorlocks, or will throw a brick through the door/window, if they can see the keys. I have only heard of one incident in my area where the owner disturbed them and chased them down the street, only for them to turn and chase him back to his house. I am not saying that worse incidents do not happen, but in the vast majority of cases, as soon as they hear you coming they leg it !!

Thanks for the heads-up, gonna hide my keys somewhere, and start using the steering lock even on the drive now!

Tipped my mates off as well, as 1 has a VRs and another a Leon FR!!

Thanks again

I used to take the key's to bed aswell but I've heard so many horror storie's (here in Ireland) that I don't bother anymore! That's what insurance is for, I know nobody like's their car being taken but these scumbag's will do what's necessary to get the car, if they want it let them have it, Car's can be replaced, whereas, fiancee/wife, kid's, etc can't!!

I follow the theory that if I am a "difficult" target the scum will take the line of least resistance and look elsewhere for something a bit easier. To this end I have :

Deadlocked solid front and back doors (with a hidden key readily accessible from the inside so I can get out in case of fire etc),

proper security front screen door (and security mesh over the glass panel next to the front door),

roller shutters on all our windows,

backyard with high fences and locked side gates (hard to get into),

two big dogs and one medium sized (that all bark, and I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of our Doberman when she goes into "guard dog" mode),

both vehicles are kept in a locked garage,

car keys are kept in the very messy bottom drawer of a locked filing cabinet,

live in a safe area (1 burglary in the last 28 years in our street).

sorry to hear that its not a nice experience, i personally keep my keys hidden upstairs and if they get that far i will be awoken and have WMD to hand ;) after all you can use reasonable force to protect yourself ;) hope things get sorted!!

I leave my keys downstairs, if they break in looking for them they don't have to come upstairs to ask me for them. A car is a pile of metal, my pregnant wife is a little more important than that.

Also, there are various heavy objects lying around upstairs that look like they would be really easy to reach if need be............

I keep both my keys up stairs.

My "spare" is in our "important drawer" in one of the bedrooms.

My usual key sits in the top drawer of my bedsite cabinet.

However bottom line - somebody breaks in and starts demanding the keys then I think I would hand them over.

I'm a big chap and I know if the need really arose I could fight.

However at the end of the day my car can be replaced.

A heavy object or far more usual these days a knife brandished by one of these people could result in either me or my wife being killed - rather they just had the vRS.

The best deterent by far is to keep the car in a locked garage (LIKE WHAT I DO !!), but the garages of most modern houses are full of tumble driers, bikes and barbecues :(:(.

Most modern garages are only fit for the above as they're not wide enough to get a car in.

This is how most cars are stolen now. Either that or the beat your **** in at the lights and leave you in a bloody, bubbling mess at the kerb.

Personally, I'll be leaving the keys downstairs. If someone wants the car badly enough to break in and potentially beat me up to get the keys, they can have it.

It has happened to someone on SCN. Cars can be replaced.

:thumbdwn::thumbdwn:On new years day someone forced a guys front door open at 9.30 pm around the corner from me he met intruder in his hallway, the guys dog started barking and the intruder ran off and jumped into waiting car and shot off. Police reckon he was after his octavia vrs on drive. There are 2 of us on our estate with vrs octys so it was either mine or his they would go after, lucky another car was parked behind mine so they went for easier target i suppose.Disclok on all time now while parked on drive and front door locked whilst we are at home now.Scumbags :thumbdwn: