Water leaking into the boot

Hi

I took my spare wheel out of the boot at the weekend and found there was about a cup full of water in the spare wheel well.

This probably explains why the back window was misting up.

I also noticed that the boot seal was full of water as well, when you squashed it water came out of the small holes in the seal so maybe when I shut the boot this is where the water was coming from.

I was thinking about cutting a couple of holes in the seal on the underside so the water drains out. Then a small hole in one of the bungs in the boot floor.

The seal otherwise looked fine it is not damaged or twisted .

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

After my dealer told me it (the wet boot) was leaking washer fluid and he'd fixed the pipe - but it happened when the car was stationary and it didn't smell of washer fluid - he accepted his diagnosis was pants, fitted a new seal and adjusted the latch to pull down a little harder. Why he didn't do that in the first place I don't know. Warranty procedures? Fine now - just be persistent with them.

Or maybe it's just the water running in when you open the boot?

Does that happen to anybody else? Every time I open the boot when it is/has been raining the excess water on the bootlid and rear screen splashes into the boot itself, wetting all the work-related paperwork I keep in the mesh pocket on the right hand side of the boot.

For what it is worth I discovered my Fire extinguisher which is a dry powder tends to create a lot of moisture on the casing when the weather is cold this is then absorbed probably in to the interior fabrics and then evaporates on the glass area in the vehicle

Hopefully picking up my used Skoda 2.0 TDI Elegance tomorrow and when I did the test drive & personal inspection of the car this is one problem I picked up?

The boot floor was damp and signs of mould under the floor door to the spare wheel which had made the carpet lift as well.

The dealership are going to rectify this...........hopefully :)

Thanks for your replies,

The water is not coming from the rear window wash spray, I think its just collecting at the bottom of the seal and running in near the boot latch.

I am going to punch some drain holes in the lower edge of the seal on either side of the boot and see if that helps.

I will let you know what happens!

Hi

I took my spare wheel out of the boot at the weekend and found there was about a cup full of water in the spare wheel well.

This probably explains why the back window was misting up.

I also noticed that the boot seal was full of water as well, when you squashed it water came out of the small holes in the seal so maybe when I shut the boot this is where the water was coming from.

I was thinking about cutting a couple of holes in the seal on the underside so the water drains out. Then a small hole in one of the bungs in the boot floor.

The seal otherwise looked fine it is not damaged or twisted .

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

I found exactly the same thing yesterday.

The rear wash/wipe seems to be working ok.

I gave the car a good wash a few weeks ago, including giving the underside a good soaking using a hose pipe. Can water get into spare wheel area this way?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Thanks for your replies,

The water is not coming from the rear window wash spray, I think its just collecting at the bottom of the seal and running in near the boot latch.

I am going to punch some drain holes in the lower edge of the seal on either side of the boot and see if that helps.

I will let you know what happens!

Did punching those drain holes fix the problem?

I put mine through a car wash a couple months since, the boot floor got absolutely drenched. When i went to use the spare recently, i found a inch of water sat in the spare wheel well.

Didn't even pong, just made the edge of the spare rust.

Mine leaked when I got it but only when I washed it. There was a puddle on the parcel shelf. It was caused by the wiring loom that goes to the tailgate being trapped between the frame and the seal. The rubber cover on the loom was not connected at the body end. When I re-fitted it, the wire was so used to being in the wrong place, it took quite a while for it to settle down and stay out of the seal's way.

D

Hi

I punched holes directly opposite the holes already in the seal on either side of the boot so the new hole was facing down.

I did that about 3 weeks ago, the seal is no longer full of water there is no water in the boot. I have washed the car a couple of times since cutting the holes but it has not really rained so it is hard to tell if it has worked or not. I will keep you posted.

I cut the holes with a hole punch like you use to put holes in leather belts.

:cool:

After my dealer told me it (the wet boot) was leaking washer fluid and he'd fixed the pipe - but it happened when the car was stationary and it didn't smell of washer fluid - he accepted his diagnosis was pants, fitted a new seal and adjusted the latch to pull down a little harder. Why he didn't do that in the first place I don't know. Warranty procedures? Fine now - just be persistent with them.

Had the same with my VRS :)

Hi

Glad to report that my boot is still dry, I have now washed the car at least 3 times since making the new holes in the seal and its been left outside in the rain. The seal is no longer full of water, as it drains out side the car not in my boot.

• 10 years later...

Had same problem recently - made 3 small holes in the seal under so water could escape from the bottom rather than leaking from the top to the boot. Only happens if car is stationary .

Does this seal hole issue apply to saloon cars and/or estates?

Edited by J.R.

I have a mk3 estate 2014 plate.  I've noticed that water tends to drip from the boot lid when it's in the open position.  Not sure if water is collecting behind the trim when it's in the closed position.  Water also collects on the bottom of the seal and trim panel resulting in a bit of water collecting in the spare tyre well.  Does anyone have any thoughts on repairs 

• 2 weeks later...