Sell Ibiza FR? Go for Fabia Vrs?

Hello folks, I'm a member over on SeatCupra.Net and I have a dilemma...

I test drove a black 06 plate Vrs this AM and TBH I was impressed! The car was clean and fine inside, no dings or dents and drove really well (45 min test drive on my own)

At the moment I have a 55 plate Ibiza FR 20VT and I was wondering should I sell up and plump for the Fabia? The bloke at the garage said he could only give me about £4k for mine in exchange for the Fabia (£6k). I do lots of mileage to and from work (20k per year) and the fuel bills are killing me a bit so I thought the switch to diesel would be the best bet! (I have worked out I will save £700 in the first year through fuel and tax with the Fabia Vrs).

Link to Vrs

Hi there. I have no idea how your Seat drives but i would imagine it would be good. All part of the same group. What i can say is that i have a Fabia vRS which is re-mapped and the performance and fuel consumption is astonishing. Also the engineering and build quality is excellent.

If you did go ahead and buy it i'm sure you wouldn't be dissappointed. Please keep posted.

Derek

Hello folks, I'm a member over on SeatCupra.Net and I have a dilemma...

I test drove a black 06 plate Vrs this AM and TBH I was impressed! The car was clean and fine inside, no dings or dents and drove really well (45 min test drive on my own)

At the moment I have a 55 plate Ibiza FR 20VT and I was wondering should I sell up and plump for the Fabia? The bloke at the garage said he could only give me about £4k for mine in exchange for the Fabia (£6k). I do lots of mileage to and from work (20k per year) and the fuel bills are killing me a bit so I thought the switch to diesel would be the best bet! (I have worked out I will save £700 in the first year through fuel and tax with the Fabia Vrs).

Link to Vrs

So £2k to swap - If you are doing it purely to save money you won't see a saving for about three years according to your calculations if things don't change. It's up to you (unless you just like the car better!)

So £2k to swap - If you are doing it purely to save money you won't see a saving for about three years according to your calculations if things don't change. It's up to you (unless you just like the car better!)

That's what I thought. I reckon I could squeeze that £2k gap down a little but to be honest at this moment in time it doesn't seem to be the best decision. If I could get it down to £1k I would go for it!

If you like the chuckability of the FR then I'd suggest you went for the PD FR over the Fabia vRS.

I think the Fabia is nicer built, a bit more refined etc, but different cars for different folks. :)

There are quite a few comparison threads on here if you do a search. :)

Most of threads conclude that they are basically the same car and it comes down to personal preference, especially with regard to the looks.

One thing I notice which is common on both the Ibiza and Fabia forums though is that people seem to regard the VRS as having a better ride quality and more space.

Most of threads conclude that they are basically the same car and it comes down to personal preference, especially with regard to the looks.

One thing I notice which is common on both the Ibiza and Fabia forums though is that people seem to regard the VRS as having a better ride quality and more space.

My mate's got an Ibiza FR PD130 and he said he was amazed by the difference in ride quality in my vRS compared to his. The interior in Seat's is a nicer place to be IMO though in terms of the look of the dashboard etc., which if you are doing 20k a year you will notice more!

My mate's got an Ibiza FR PD130 and he said he was amazed by the difference in ride quality in my vRS compared to his. The interior in Seat's is a nicer place to be IMO though in terms of the look of the dashboard etc., which if you are doing 20k a year you will notice more!

I did notice the Fabia was a little softer than my FR when I took it for a test drive.

Youd be right in saying the Fabia is more refined than the Ibiza FR, it is a slightly heavier car. There are more Fabias to choose from than Ibiza FR's and a wider price range, You have calculated that the savings on fuel and tax but don't forget another saving which is insurance, a big difference. If you like driving your Ibiza don't discount the Ibiza FR diesel or Ibiza SE 130. Only you can decide. Don't forget to push the dealer on price, its a buyers market at the mo. but not for much longer as new car builds are being massively reduced, used cars will soon be on the up again. Good luck. Bernie.

How much are Ibiza TDi Cupras going for now? Might be worth considering.

yeah wish i'd gone for one of these :)

stronger turbo

FMIC

Brembo's

160 intake

3 doors

didnt even know theyre was such a thing when i chose the vrs, because i thought the fr was the top of the range and preferred the vrs :thumbdwn:

If you can get away without a car for a few days your best bet is to sell yours privately and then buy one privately. At least then you'll get as much as possible for your car and chances are you'd buy a Fabia cheaper privately.

That should bring your gap well inside a grand I recon.

When I bought mine, I had the choice of the Fabia vRS or the Seat Ibiza PD130,I chose the Fabia because it was cheaper, for pretty much the same car, plus the fabia looks nicer, but the main thing was that there isnt a Seat garage in sight in Central North Wales.

But if it was between the 20vT then I would probs keep that to be honest. I agree with Tom, you wont see you're money back for at least a couple of years. I'm sure you'll make the right decision. If you were to swap for the vRS, you wont be dissapointed.

Good luck mate. :thumbup:

stronger turbo

FMIC

Brembo's

160 intake

3 doors

didnt even know theyre was such a thing when i chose the vrs, because i thought the fr was the top of the range and preferred the vrs :thumbdwn:

I had a brand new 57plate one for 5 weeks, it went back to Seat as it was leaking desial and oil all over the place and after taking back to the dealer 15 times it still wasn't fixed. Thats when I decided to go for a used fabia as it just seemed more solid.

And the breaks are AP not Brembo :)

stronger turbo

FMIC

Brembo's

160 intake

3 doors

they do look a nice car

Thanks for all the advice folks, what a nice and friendly bunch you all are. :thumbup: I don't think I can justify changing cars at the moment, maybe in 6 months it might be different! Going for a new job you see...

i would have the fabia over an ibiza anyday..one of my friends has an ibiza 1.8 20v turbo petrol.and wen his was in gettin fixed at seat they gave him alone of a car for the day which was an ibiza cupra tdi..which was absolute **** to be honest and it was remapped to supposedly 190bhp..was alot slower than my fabia didnt have the same pull.fabia drives alot better to an ibiza there very basic even my mates cupra is basic with no toys like cruise control,heated seats etc....fabia anyday