Common Rail Remap: P - Torque Review

Well, I finally took the plunge today, and after much deliberation of who, what and where I settled on P-Torque in Wolverhampton.

As some of you know, I had considered waiting for a bluefin, looked at a local tuners and mailed anyone and everyone. Will was by far the most responsive, answered each and every question I had quickly and precisely, and most of all, was by far the most enthusiastic person in his profession.

Being from Kent I had waited till I had meetings in Birmingham and got myself booked in. Will was very accomodating and agreed a time of 5.30, as I believed this was the earliest I could arrive ( I was slightly earlier after fobing off some meetings!).

As I turned up and noticed everyone else on the industrial estate was leaving for home, I felt slightly guilty for making Will stay back to work - this was obviously diminished by the excitment I had for the map!!

Waiting area is comftable, managed to use Wills wireless net to get some work done whilst waiting, and had a laugh watching Clarkson drive some shocking US cars for an hour and a half!

When all was done Will explained that there was an issue with my car on the dyno - apparently the Tyre pressure monitor kept sensing a flat rear tyre and cut the power at 134bhp. Will has had this issue with some of the new shape Focus ST's, but this was the first with an Octy. However, he was real apologetic and has chucked in a pipercross panel filter foc for me. Dont in any way let this put you off Wills maps... the drive is incredible.

After a very impressive test run, I paid, had a chat, then left to enjoy my Octy... one word... incredible. The power band seems never ending... seems like it kicks in very slightly earlier, but just keeps going to the top of the rev range. Pulling onto the M5 I was doing 70+mph in 3rd and it was still booting. Maintaing grip in 1st, 2nd and 3rd was the only issue with all the power its kicking out. Love it!

Will.. thanks again...

Everyone else... Dont underestimate Wills maps..... very very impressed. Thanks again!

James

Edited by JamesyG

2 of my cars have been fettled by Will now, and I am a happy customer and have no reason to stray away to any other tuner :)

My PD105 power / torque curve is still the best of any PD105 that I have seen, verified on 2 different dyno's. The guy knows his stuff and customer service is right at the forefront of his operation.

do u have a scan of your dyno's tests? if u don't mind, may we see it? :rolleyes:

There are several scan's of various RR results here ....... search is your friend.

Welcome to Briskoda BTW, Wolverhampton is a long way to come for a remap ;)

apparently the Tyre pressure monitor kept sensing a flat rear tyre and cut the power at 134bhp. Will has had this issue with some of the new shape Focus ST's, but this was the first with an Octy.

:eek: The tyre pressure monitor can limit the power?! :confused: :eek:

Hi

To confirm...

I am looking into why the power was restricted on the dyno, I pointed out the tyre monitor which I haven't seen when running TT 2.0 TDI's.. so I am looking to see if there is a link here :thumbup:

I don't think this was the cause, more likely the new EDC17 ECU not liking the back wheel being stationary

Hi

To confirm...

I am looking into why the power was restricted on the dyno, I pointed out the tyre monitor which I haven't seen when running TT 2.0 TDI's.. so I am looking to see if there is a link here :thumbup:

I don't think this was the cause, more likely the new EDC17 ECU not liking the back wheel being stationary

Thats more likely. As far as I can tell, the Tyre pressure monitor has no control whatsoever over the ECU (and therefore being able to limit engine power in any way).

We reset them :thumbup:

So remap only detectable if they start looking at the values of which there are a lot. Obviously when driven it's obvious.

Think I've asked this before, do you do offer a Bluefin / ST3 type device?

Do you have any regional agents that do your remaps or are they all done at you HQ? Wolverhampton is a long way from Newcastle...

Hi

To confirm...

I had my 170 Tdi Cr remapped a few weeks ago and had a dyno run 4 days later and all was good. 200.5 bhp and 352lb/ft (as per sig). No issues with the ECU limiting the power:confused:

What can I say - just got back from the 200 miles I travelled. Was for meetings too, but tied it in with map.

Incredible performance throughout the rev range - when Ive got the bottle Ill keep the power through in 4th - but at 82 in 3rd before gear change I didn't have the guts in the weather today!

I filled up with BP ultimate diesel before the journey - averaged about 70mph due to conditions, maxidot reported 54.2mpg - this was some 5mpg higher then a run like that usually reports.

Will - good to see you reseted the counter, wasn't aware until I read this.

Highly recommended - wish I had done it sooner. Even worked out on my mileage with the increase in MPG - it would pay for itself in just under a year.

What can I say - just got back from the 200 miles I travelled. Was for meetings too, but tied it in with map.

Incredible performance throughout the rev range - when Ive got the bottle Ill keep the power through in 4th - but at 82 in 3rd before gear change I didn't have the guts in the weather today!

I filled up with BP ultimate diesel before the journey - averaged about 70mph due to conditions, maxidot reported 54.2mpg - this was some 5mpg higher then a run like that usually reports.

Will - good to see you reseted the counter, wasn't aware until I read this.

Highly recommended - wish I had done it sooner. Even worked out on my mileage with the increase in MPG - it would pay for itself in just under a year.

Sounding good :thumbup:

So remap only detectable if they start looking at the values of which there are a lot. Obviously when driven it's obvious.

Think I've asked this before, do you do offer a Bluefin / ST3 type device?

Do you have any regional agents that do your remaps or are they all done at you HQ? Wolverhampton is a long way from Newcastle...

Hi

We can offer a device like the ST3, although this unit does not yet support VAG EDC17

I had my 170 Tdi Cr remapped a few weeks ago and had a dyno run 4 days later and all was good. 200.5 bhp and 352lb/ft (as per sig). No issues with the ECU limiting the power:confused:

Thank god for that ! :)

I was seeing a future of no more fun and banter at a RR day for example :eek:

Slightly off topic but I thought I'd just throw in another thumbs-up for Will and p-torque. On my TFSI I'm also seeing slightly improved economy (maybe 10-20 miles on a full tank), but more impressive is how the remap has smoothed out the power delivery - I'm seeing that little yellow flashing light a lot less than I used to, which is not something I had expected at all from a remap.

Edited by Guinness
dodgy spelling

Slightly off topic but I thought I'd just throw in another thumbs-up for Will and p-torque. On my TFSI I'm also seeing slightly improved economy (maybe 10-20 miles on a full tank), but more impressive is how the remap has smoothed out the power delivery - I'm seeing that little yellow flashing light a lot less than I used to, which is not something I had expected at all from a remap.

I had the same result with my remap from Auto-Tune. It is so smooth I dont get any wheel spin in 3rd