diesel spill when I fill

Quite a few times now I have been in the unpleasant position of having the diesel spill out of the fuel filler breather hole located in the base of the filler cap flap pocket.:thumbdwn:

I have tried different pumps (brands) and seem to get the same effect.

The only solution I have found is to try and go slower near the top. However, since i usually end up filling most of the tank and am in a hurry its not that good a solution.

I have checked that the nozzel is all the way in and I think this might be part of the problem. The nozzel does not seem to go as far in as the old Octavia and thus when the cut out works to stop fuel flow it is to late. This is probably made worse on a diesel as it foams when you fill up.

Does anyone else have this problem??

Regards

Brian

I have checked that the nozzel is all the way in and I think this might be part of the problem. The nozzel does not seem to go as far in as the old Octavia and thus when the cut out works to stop fuel flow it is to late. This is probably made worse on a diesel as it foams when you fill up.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Although I've only filled up once so far, Brian, I also had the same problem. Coming from an Octavia, I expected the fuel nozzle to cut out before any spillage, so I was surprised to get quite a significant "blow-back" (now then!).

I'm fairly sure that it was caused by foaming, so I'll try a slow fill on the next trip to the pumps. You're not alone! :)

Ray

Mine does it too, but it doesn't appear to be as bad when I use Shell V-Power as compared to Morrisons.

Could just be that the cut offs on the Shell pumps are more sensitive?

Bagpuss.

Quite a few times now I have been in the unpleasant position of having the diesel spill out of the fuel filler breather hole located in the base of the filler cap flap pocket.:thumbdwn:

I have tried different pumps (brands) and seem to get the same effect.

The only solution I have found is to try and go slower near the top. However, since i usually end up filling most of the tank and am in a hurry its not that good a solution.

Does anyone else have this problem??

Regards

Brian

I'm glad you raised this issue Brian, as I've noticed as much each time I'll filled up my Superb.

The nozzle access into the filler throat is restricted, unlike on the Octy. In addition, I also find fuel comes up through the breather hole, even if I fill up slowly when the tank is almost full.

Perhaps one of the technical gurus can advise whether a Superb II "ventectomy" is possible, and if so, provide step-by-step instructions?

Still on the fuel tank subject, I do wish Skoda had specified a larger 70 litre tank, as fitted to the Passat, Mondeo & Insignia. This would have reduced the need for high mileage users to fill up so frequently!

Edited by veloplus

What a relief its not just me:)

My biggest problem is getting diesel all over my suit and then going to see a customer!!

I agree I think there is a design fault with the neck - are pump nozzels a different design in Euro land - I dont seem to remember them being different.

Thanks for the replys.

Brian

I also have had blowback. At my local Shell Station the pump nozzle will enter easily, and also come out easy. it is smooth the whole length of the nozzle and quite straight. When inserted fully it will still blow back slightly at times. The first time I put it down to a faulty cut-off valve in the nozzle.

I also use a BP Station, I always used Ultimate in my previous Superb.

The nozzle at this staion has notches to allow the nozzle to be held in the neck. This nozzle does not enter easily, the first time I used it I had considerable difficulty removing it, the notches catch down inside the filler neck, the nozzle also has quite a curve.

I now only insert the nozzle until I feel it touch, and fill slightly slower, Ultimate does not seem to froth as much as Shell.

My local Shell Station does not stock V-Power.

I think the design of the new filler needs looking into. Does anyone know a cavity wall insulation installer, when I had my cavities insulated a flexible viewer was inserted to examine the cavities, a quick look with one of these might help.

I may have found an answer this afternoon. On this fill-up, I held the nozzle handle at 9 o'clock, rather than the usual 6 o'clock. This time, I heard the "death-rattle gurgle" as the top of the tank was reached and consequently I had no spillage whatsoever.

This was the first full-tank refill and in the initial 420 miles, the car did 42mpg. I was delighted with this because:

• The first 18 miles were delivery and PDI miles
  • The typical journeys were short duration (showing off the new car!)
  • It's very close to my 4-year overall average with the Octy - 36,000 miles, overall 44.5MPG

With a slightly bigger engine and considerably more output, that's a result, IMO.

I'm now looking forward to even more economic travelling once the engine's run in. :)

Ray

Just to add my twopence worth. I have the same problem. At the BP garage I usually use and at the first refill I could hardly get the nozzle in and had great difficulty taking it out (no jokes please). Since then I do not put it fully in and as a consequence get some diesel overflow. I will try 9:00 and see if that makes any difference.

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

Having started this i thought I better feed some info in.

I tried the 9 position today with positive results and no diesel over me. Thanks for the tip.

Seems a bit pants though given how much we have just paid for these things that a simple item like that has been over looked - I know its not that much harder to hold the nozel at 9 but its a pain

Brian

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I have just done a forum search to find the same problem I experienced on the Octy II 1.9 TDI. Fuel spilt on last fill up trying to get the computer to say 600 miles till next fill up. The best I have had is 565 miles on the display but get slightly more in real driving.

As I do nearly 200 miles a day, I need the car to last 3 return journeys before fill up as I prefer the local Shell garage.

When I had my 1997 Golf TDI, I would never stop fuelling until the clicks on the pump happened more often as the first one meant I just needed to slow down the rate at which the fuel was being fed into the car.

I will try the 9 o'clock idea though.

Has anyone else got the 19 TDI to show on the range on the computer as closer to 600 miles?

Hi All,

I have just done a forum search to find the same problem I experienced on the Octy II 1.9 TDI. Fuel spilt on last fill up trying to get the computer to say 600 miles till next fill up. The best I have had is 565 miles on the display but get slightly more in real driving.

As I do nearly 200 miles a day, I need the car to last 3 return journeys before fill up as I prefer the local Shell garage.

When I had my 1997 Golf TDI, I would never stop fuelling until the clicks on the pump happened more often as the first one meant I just needed to slow down the rate at which the fuel was being fed into the car.

I will try the 9 o'clock idea though.

Has anyone else got the 19 TDI to show on the range on the computer as closer to 600 miles?

Before getting a Superb I had a 1.9Tdi Octy II.

In the Octy I never had any fuelling breather blowback, unlike on the Superb. I've tried holding the nozzle in different positions, but to no avail. The solution is to stop filling after the first click, or if proceeding, doing so with caution.

Incidentally, in my Octy I could achieve 600+ miles on a tank of fuel, whereas, with the Superb's slightly larger tank I can squeeze a range of 700 miles. The average range is 680 miles.

I have tried all angles of the fuel nozzle, and still get a blowback!

Has anyone who has had the recall plastic "top hat" removed from the fuel filler system noticed that they can now "brim" the diesle tank without a blow back?

my car had a "campaign" listed last time it went in dunno what for as i am not sure whether the filler is the same or not but the nozzle does seem to go in easier and it hasnt blown back or clicked off early since the car last went in perhaps they did something or maybe i'm just lucky

• 2 months later...

Still experiencing problems and found re-fueling from the opposite side to the pump caused an issue again recently, fuel over the floor and the pump did not click once.

However the fuel delivery was very slow.

Dealer is unable to assist, they are not aware of a solution for this

Does anyone have some advice?

Still experiencing problems and found re-fueling from the opposite side to the pump caused an issue again recently, fuel over the floor and the pump did not click once.

However the fuel delivery was very slow.

Dealer is unable to assist, they are not aware of a solution for this

Does anyone have some advice?

Sorry to be blunt about it, but if the supplying dealer can't fix it, then I'd say the car is unfit for purpose and reject it.

A car that can not be correctly refuelled without spilling diesel is dangerous. Also means it could be spilling derv on the road when very full which is also very dangerous.

I found that the only way is to take a bit more time to fill up. Even then, there is still a small amount which blows back and goes down the little drain hole. My car was built at the end of September so I assume that the modification mentioned was carried out at the factory.