Can't decide what to get next...

*CJ*

I'm currently driving an Octy 2 VRS 170PD - its OK but amazingly not as good as the Octy 1 L&K 130PD I had before it.

Clearly I'm turning into an old man. Although I love the pace and torque of the vRS, I'm tiring of the stiff ride (even on 17ins) and constant steering adjustments on the motorway. I've also had 2 punctures from driving over potholes - although this could just be bad luck (bad driving). I've also had a long list of niggles with it - delivered with suspension packing still in, peeling alloys, loose engine cover, misaligned offside doors, intermittent cruise control, several visits to the dealer with DPF and exhaust pressure sensor problems. So...

I'm considering a wider range of options for my next company car:

- Superb 2 SE 1.8T DSG or 170CR

- Octavia 2 1.8T 4x4

- Scout 1.8T

I need some advice & insider knowledge. I've seen a Superb estate could be in the offing for 2009 - any one know any more? If one is going to be launched it could jump to the top of my list - providing an mid spec with a decent engine is priced the right side of 20K.

I'm also quite keen on a Scout but am concerned about the emissions on the 1.8T - but don't want a 140 PD engine - any one know when /if the CR one is going to or even can be installed in it? I'm also not sure what colour to go for. There aren't many about so have only seen a couple of colour combinations. If anyone has any pics or advice would be great.

The other option could be to spec up a 1.8T 4x4 e.g. adding Xenons etc.

Let me know your thoughts...

True but why would I be posting the wider range on a Skoda forum.... do you really want the rest of the list?? I could go into the conversation I'm having with my wife about buying an MPV :thumbdwn: - no thank you...

Maybe I should have asked the wider question:

- I want the largest estate car I can get for less than 20K.

- Needs to have pretty high spec - esp xenons and cruise, leather desirable but not a deal breaker.

- Needs to be quick enough and comfortable - less than 9 secs to 60 and flexible enough to surge from 80-100mph for x continental cruising.

- I spend 3 months a year in the Alps so 4WD would be great.

- I think the Mondeo ticks many of the boxes but I can't bring myself to buy a Mondeo - don't know why

- The legacy could also fit the bill but not a big fan of Subaru's and not sure the boot is up to Octavia standards.

Anyway have some time to decide so am open to suggestions...

Octy 4x4 / Scout gets my vote. I would be wary of the new Superb as its too early to see how s/hand prices hold up. From personal experience I can tell you having just sold an old Superb at under 3 years old we took an absolute pasting & some of that history might follow the new model.

Try also looking at nearly new & pre registered as some dealers are desperate to shift stock although the supply of good s/hand cars is starting to dry up & prices are rising so be quick before the bargains disapear. I know of one national dealeer who is having to pay over book at auction on some models to get good stock on some other makes so this trend might drift to Skoda

How about the new Seat Exeo SportsTourer ;) CR engines and kits levels are very generous

Hadn't thought of the new Exeo - is it out yet? Anyone got any experience. Isn't it based on the Passat?

It is basically the Audi A4 B7 with a new nose and the A4 B7 Cab interior. Looks nice imo

It has been officially announced and demos should be hitting show rooms about now.

SEAT EXEO

I think the Exeo could steel quite a few sales from Skoda, as they'll be priced around the higher end Octavia levels and, given the choice, I could be tempted. The interior is especially nice and works well, the plastic surgery to the front and rear, less so.

But exterior appearance is never a barrier to sales - how else can you explain the number of Porsche Cayennes and, more recently, BMW X6's on the roads :rolleyes:

I think the Exeo could steel quite a few sales from Skoda, as they'll be priced around the higher end Octavia levels and, given the choice, I could be tempted. The interior is especially nice and works well, the plastic surgery to the front and rear, less so.

But exterior appearance is never a barrier to sales - how else can you explain the number of Porsche Cayennes and, more recently, BMW X6's on the roads :rolleyes:

Agreed, the biggest advantage has to be the standard kit level (such as bluetooth) and the all important CR143 engine. This is real deal breaker for me as I love the Octy but if no CR 143 engine for it then my money will be back with Seat....

Looks pretty tidy and interior good - but there's little disguising that this is the previous gen Audi is there? Not that that bothers me too much - if the cars built and drives well and properly priced it could make the short list. Looking forward to seeing the spec and price list.

Am currently coming down on the side of the Scout though. The extra kit over the 4x4 for an extra grand is worth it + fitting Xenons to the pre-facelift Mk2 is 150 quid cheaper too.

Does anyone know if because the exterior upgrades aren't making their way onto the vRS or Scout whether the interior upgrades will be transferred?

Still no nearer to deciding on potential colour though. I think it needs to be a light colour to contrast with the bumpers and body kit - I've seen silver, red, grey, black and blue ones in pictures but would really like to see a picture of one in white or the new alpine green colour. If anyone has any would appreciate it.

- I think the Mondeo ticks many of the boxes but I can't bring myself to buy a Mondeo - don't know why

That's the car you're looking for. 2.2TDCi Mondeo Estate. I'm a big Vauxhall man myself, but if I needed a big diesel estate, then that's the one I'd go for. They really are the best portable wardrobe on the road.

Does anyone know if because the exterior upgrades aren't making their way onto the vRS or Scout whether the interior upgrades will be transferred?

New Octy RSs and Scouts already have the facelift interior AFAIK. Exterior facelift on the RS should come middle of this year, not sure about the Scout though. 2.0 TDI-CRs (140BHP ish ones) are also rumoured for this year but not confirmed.

How long can you wait to change car? Superb Combi should be presented at the Frankfurt motorshow in Sepetmber, and by then we should see the facelift Octy Scout and maybe more CR engines too.

New Octy RSs and Scouts already have the facelift interior AFAIK. Exterior facelift on the RS should come middle of this year, not sure about the Scout though. 2.0 TDI-CRs (140BHP ish ones) are also rumoured for this year but not confirmed.

How long can you wait to change car? Superb Combi should be presented at the Frankfurt motorshow in Sepetmber, and by then we should see the facelift Octy Scout and maybe more CR engines too.

September's probably doable. Can delay the lease company by faffing choosing replacement. Think if 2.0CR is available in facelifted scout would be the one to go for. I like the idea of the new Superb Combi - the early pics I saw make it look better than the saloon - better proportioned. But think that the estate premium - likely to be at least 1000 quid if not more will take a mid spec one out of my price range. frustratingly.

Would have gone for an L&K est if the price was more reasonable. My previous L&K MK1 est was 17.5K - you're looking at around 21 for the MK2 equivalent.

I know i should go for a Mondeo for space/value but can't bring myself to becoming a mondeo-man!!

What's the fitted cost of this set-up?

About £500; £350 for the FSDs and £150 to get them fitted.

Makes a whole new car by keeping the sharp handling when pressing on, even a tad sharper than OE, BUT giving the car a soft and compliant ride.

They do the same job as the 'electronic dampers' on the new Audi TT (and others) but at a third of the price and with the benefit of mechanical simplicity and are also OE fitment on Lamborghinis these days. :D

Have seen pictures of a white scout now... looks like could be the next choice. I also watched a you tube video of a couple of nutters in the mountains in the snow doing some pretty amazing things off road given they were driving a scout and an early A6 allroad. Must have had AT / winter tyres but still - pretty cool nonetheless...