Fabia vrs economy

newskoda

I got 400 miles out of a full tank of diesel. 70% of the driving was motorway. Is 400miles quite low? i drove very conservatively and lastnite on a 120 mile drive mainly motorway at the end of it i averaged 54mpg according the computer.

Is their also an optimal gear to use when on the motorway in terms of fuel saving?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of fill-up was it? Was it a "stop at first click and see miles when fuel beeper goes off" ??

If I chuck an extra £2 worth from the first click in mine, using the venting trick, and then push the miles to go to close to 0 (even ran it on zero for 10 miles, no worries as good spare capacity) I can easily see over 500 miles.

Depends very much on motorway speeds. The later VRs has a shorter 6th gear, and at 70MPH you are using some boost, which reduces MPG. Optimum cruise is about 67 MPH which on the flat with no head wind should give about 64 MPG

What kind of fill-up was it? Was it a "stop at first click and see miles when fuel beeper goes off" ??

If I chuck an extra £2 worth from the first click in mine, using the venting trick, and then push the miles to go to close to 0 (even ran it on zero for 10 miles, no worries as good spare capacity) I can easily see over 500 miles.

I filled upto a full tank on "stop at first click". The reset the counter as soon as started her up.

whats the venting trick?

Depends very much on motorway speeds. The later VRs has a shorter 6th gear, and at 70MPH you are using some boost, which reduces MPG. Optimum cruise is about 67 MPH which on the flat with no head wind should give about 64 MPG

57mph actually :P 1500rpm in 6th gear, sees me at almost 69mpg ;)

Interesting. We drove to Malham cove in Yorkshire today from Preston Lancs, some nice twisty roads and a few dual carriage ways. Computer said 63mpg.

I've seen as much as 55l going into the tank, and I can easily get over 750 miles on one FULL tank (including the expansion tank).

My 2006MY has a high-reading fuel economy readout, so I reckon it's about 15% optimistic, but I once drove from Swindon to Swansea and back at exactly 55mph on cruise control and I averaged 102mpg on the readout.

If you're wondering why - I forgot my wallet, I was 180 miles from home, I had to go to Swansea and I had no means of refuelling, so I reckoned an economy run was the best option. I pumped the tyres up to 42psi at the front and 38psi at the rear and off I went;)

I just gotta say... anyone who regularly gets over 450 miles on a single, non-vented tank of derv in a vRS really ought to terminate their Briskoda account as they fly counter to what the name represents. Go join/form Sloskoda, Slugskoda OAPskoda or similar. ;)

newskoda, you're doing just fine, son. :thumbup:

I just gotta say... anyone who regularly gets over 450 miles on a single, non-vented tank of derv in a vRS really ought to terminate their Briskoda account as they fly counter to what it represents. Go join/form Sloskoda, Slugskoda OAPskoda or similar. ;)

newskoda, you're doing just fine, son. :thumbup:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Spot on, keep that turbo clean. It's amazing the buzz you can get going from 30 to 70 in a hurry and be completely legal. Got to be worth a few MPG just for the grin factor.

I though i might aswell add to this save another thread. What gear do people use at what speed?! If im going for a eco drive, then is sitting at 1500rpm ideal?! or is that a tat low for the engine? On A roads i tend not to use 6th as i find its not long before i need to change down.

For anything under 30 MPH tweed jacket and flat cap. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry mate, just couldn't resist that.

I though i might aswell add to this save another thread. What gear do people use at what speed?! If im going for a eco drive, then is sitting at 1500rpm ideal?! or is that a tat low for the engine? On A roads i tend not to use 6th as i find its not long before i need to change down.

35-55mph 4th gear

55-65-5th

65+ 6th

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Spot on, keep that turbo clean. It's amazing the buzz you can get going from 30 to 70 in a hurry and be completely legal. Got to be worth a few MPG just for the grin factor.

keep that turbo clean? how do i do that? do u mean regular oil changes?

keep that turbo clean? how do i do that? do u mean regular oil changes?

Giving it serious beans every now and then keeps the vanes working well. Helps if the PCV is vented to atmosphere or a catch can as well :thumbup:

For whats it worth I played Diesel chicken, who would run out of guts first me or the car!

On the MFA2 overall average of 46MPG and the gauge showing 5miles left I got 435 miles

That was a first click tank too (£40 at 97.9)

I pick up my vRS on Saturday... does that mean I need to start worrying about MPG? Current car is a V5 Bora so I've kind of gotten used to a car that downs pints of fuel every time you even look at the accelerator.

I hope I've not accidentally bought into an economy car group... ;)