Fabia vrs economy

newskoda

I pick up my vRS on Saturday... does that mean I need to start worrying about MPG? Current car is a V5 Bora so I've kind of gotten used to a car that downs pints of fuel every time you even look at the accelerator.

I hope I've not accidentally bought into an economy car group... ;)

Nah just enjoy it,:thumbup:

Then revel in the fact that you're only filling it once a fortnight

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, anyway, driving home from work tonight (4 miles in town, 10 on dual carriageway) in full-on Sloskoda Mode, keeping at 60mph or 1750 rpm max in any gear, I managed 59.5mpg, which is way better than my long-term average of 40mpg.

And I won't be repeating the experiment anytime soon either, as I hated each new mile more than the last.

Not sure which was worse... constantly monitoring the revs, being overtaken by everything, not being able to overtake everything, the sluggish scenery, or getting home at least 2 minutes later.

Was just no fun and way too much work.

Tomorrow's drive will be a blast.

Mongrel returned me 64mpg on my way back from tennis. It was good economy conditions though. Clear roads through 30mph villages, 40mph a-road, and a reasonable amount of NSL single carriageway. As long as I kept the revs around 1500 my gauge was reading nil boost, yet the car still felt like it could pull ok. I doubt I average better than 50mpg in reality, but it's nice to know you can tune the *** off these cars and they don't hit the fuel bill hard! :cool:

In the car's life with me spritmonitor is saying I've gotten 50mpg average. I'm running 179.3bhp and I don't hang about. But as long as you're gearing up below 2.5k and sticking to the speed limits you'll see the good side of 45mpg.

PS; I've had 600 miles to a tank before!

@Jason: When you say 'boost gauge' I'm assuming this is a mod, or is there a boost gauge in the stock car that I've missed?

Regarding economy, I'm picking up the car Saturday so will see just how BAD economy can be over Sat/Sunday (foot stuck to the floor, wohoo!). Then Tuesday I have to drop me 'post-operation' mother back to the westcountry from London, so that'll be an Uber economy run :)

Driving up the M8 today i got about 90odd MPG rolling along at just over 60. So clearly my recent remap ishaving a positive effect in that respect before that would have been 64mpg at best.

Admmittedly this pained me! However right on Q, as though sent by the heavens to allieviate my boredum some tool in a Bora undertook 3 cars. So i went after him to teach him a lesson , bye bye reasonable fuel consumption.

Just goes to show though it can be done.......I just choose not to!! Never see much more than 350 out a tank. Booting it too often!

@Jason: When you say 'boost gauge' I'm assuming this is a mod, or is there a boost gauge in the stock car that I've missed?

No - I fitted one, as I need to keep my eye on boost levels due to my tuning. It's not too difficult to fit one, but is pointless on a stock car, or on a stock car with a quite mild remap. :)

I regularly get 70 to 75mpg on the average mpg display, but when working it out by litres used and miles covered, I get something more like 48mpg in reality.

Can you really drive for 10 miles on a zero miles remaining display? I usually chicken out at 50 miles remaining :P

Fuel Tank versus Mileage

My Fabia VRS diesel holds approx 45 litres on a full tank, driven fast and slow I have worked out each of my litre's to 10 miles each. Hence 45 litres = 450 miles, or roughly 10 gallons = 450 miles.

I have seen fantastic MPG figures and have attempted to drive economically for one tankful and have been bored out of my head at the low speeds travelled and have made an extra 20/30 miles more, in total, less than a gallon or 2/3 litres.

What I saved, can best be described as marginal and if economy was my goal then I would buy a vehicle worthy of 60 MPG and cry all day long for my Fabia VRS to be returned.

25/02/2009

Can you really drive for 10 miles on a zero miles remaining display? I usually chicken out at 50 miles remaining :P

Have driven 25 miles with it on 0 - Damn French motorways and their lack of stations. I left Dunkerque with 10 miles to go and made it all the way into Belgium! :rofl:

My economy figures are quoted for aircon "missing in action" ;) If you get my drift.

Well on Tuesday, I got from Midlothian to Coventry and back to Gretna services on 7/8 of a tank, Probably could have made it home, But done a splash and dash as a precaution.

Overall consumption for the trip was 60.5mpg @ 55mph Avg.

I managed to get 64 mpg with my old fabia vrs, but this was due to me travelling at 50mph in 6th gear. This was travelling on a motorway at night with hardly any traffic.

I managed to get 64 mpg with my old fabia vrs, but this was due to me travelling at 50mph in 6th gear. This was travelling on a motorway at night with hardly any traffic.

I tend to notice that especially when changing to 6th below 60mph, you tend to get worse economy. I try to only change in to 6th at 60mph when on the level or going down hill.

I think the biggest bonus I've noticed since having the vRS is the figures when sat in traffic and crawling. The Bora V5 used to drink fuel at anything under 50, in 20mph traffic I'd be getting about 21MPG. This morning sat in traffic on M25, edging along, I looked at the instant MPG gauge and it was reading 40 mpg. Unbelievable. I cant believe this car, when I left home the range reading was 95miles. After driving 21 miles, and planting the foot heavily at every occasion, the range now reads 90miles.. love it!

I tend to notice that especially when changing to 6th below 60mph, you tend to get worse economy. I try to only change in to 6th at 60mph when on the level or going down hill.

50mph in 5th was certainly getting better mpg than 6th the other day (something like 62-65 vs 50-55?)