Broken my Fabia via the OBD port!

lotusandy7

How to repair the damage.....

Sell Fabia and get something simpler like a Felicia or Favorit.

No fancy computer controlled stuff so no need to meddle with vagcom.

Could you not run that program again and pay closer attention? it might have a way of disabling it.

A 2000 Fabia.....I dont think it will have any warranty being 8 years old unless its a garage approved one but computer controlled cars keep records (I dont know exactly what they log but my mates Toyota has logged a max speed of something like 135mph as read from a dealer computer)

The obvious benefit to this is if something has buggered, they can see what it is and fix it prob my just just doing a "system restore"

Edited by Captain Sisko

Doesnt VCDS allow the saving of a good config, so if you do messup, you can restore stuff?

Lotusandy - might not be wise to tell the dealer what you were doing, especially if you still have any warranty cover. it just stopped working ;) ;) ;)

VCDS does record changes but only in text file format.

I tend to copy and paste any long code (or settings) into a word document BEFORE and AFTER changing them, then if something goes wrong it is easily restored by installing the original long code back again.

You can save the results of an autoscan and we highly recommend that the first action taken is to do precisely that. The saved scan result will have all the coding for the modules and in the event you mess something up, you can go back to this scan log and copy the information for the module that you messed with. We even tell professionals that the first step in diagnosing a car is to save the present condition when the car rolls into the shop. When you finish fixing/changing, then you save another autoscan for future reference. That way the change history is always available.

It's a main dealer visit job... no way around it full stop.

One way round it is to get the engine ECU, dash panel insert, locks and keys all from the same car, you should find part numbers on your present ECU and dash panel insert or through VCDS to ensure that you get the correct parts.

If it was me, my first source for these parts would be here:

Newly arrived skoda cars for dismantling and recycling by Sko-Spares

As mentioned earlier, the mileage would be incorrect.

VCDS is quite foolproof and you have to be quite determined to do any damage with it, unlike coding keys for a certain Japanese make of car, where if you were to lose power to the car or diagnostic tool at a certain stage, it will brick just about every control unit in the car.

Edited by fordfan

I tried disconnecting the battery then re-connecting, but sadly had no effect.

Have had to resort to booking it into a dealer on Monday, so will have to see what they say, whatever they say I am not expecting it to be cheap!

Thanks to all.

Hello lotusandy,

How did you get on with the dealers intervention ?? 25/02/2009

I feel bad for Andy. The problem, from my point of view, is that the eBay vendors do not support their products with information that would let the user know what it is they are buying and what the potential for problems might be.

How many eBay vendors are participating here to try to help Andy? eBay is a great sales tool but I just wish people would take the time to check out details before they buy and especially evaluate the support that comes with the product.

In the end, Andy will be out of pocket probably several times what he would have paid for a real VCDS.

And that other program that he ran? Why was it even there?

This is a sad story.

Andy if you read this post, I do hope you go back to report this on the eBay site. Let others know what you learned.

How about I buy one, then bring it round to you for some lessons on how to use it??????

( I now have two VAG cars, both with the EMLs on, and my door control module needs coding to the car I think)

If you don't get around to Stu you've also got an offer to do it for you as I'm around the corner and can get rid of the MK I manual :rofl:

One way round it is to get the engine ECU, dash panel insert, locks and keys all from the same car, you should find part numbers on your present ECU and dash panel insert or through VCDS to ensure that you get the correct parts.

If it was me, my first source for these parts would be here:

Newly arrived skoda cars for dismantling and recycling by Sko-Spares

As mentioned earlier, the mileage would be incorrect.

VCDS is quite foolproof and you have to be quite determined to do any damage with it, unlike coding keys for a certain Japanese make of car, where if you were to lose power to the car or diagnostic tool at a certain stage, it will brick just about every control unit in the car.

No offence to the OP but going by the first post the OP might not be up to this level of work... hence the dealer (poss independant garage) route.

A potentially expensive but valuable lesson learned Andy :(. I feel for you. And I was worried about blowing my ECU with a handheld scanner :o How lucky do I feel now – I get a light on the dash; I plug in the scanner; I get a code; I investigate on Briskoda.

Good luck mate. It'll all work out and you'll be laughing about this down the pub before long :thumbup:

Thanks to all for the support & helpful comments.

The dealer picked up the car this morning, they have just called to say it will need a new dash unit, but until it is fitted thay cannot gauantee that it will fix it.

So now I have to decide, do I spend 500 quid to get the dash panel & take the risk that it may need the same spending again or do I try to fix it myself, I am perfectly capable of having a go, but my problem is that I will struggle to find the time....

Andy

It seems odd to me that the dealers would need to replace the entire dash pod because of a badly coded EEPROM. Could they not just reflash it themselves?

Would it not be possible to call round a few scrap yards to see if any of them had a similar fabia in stock, copy that EEPROM and re-write your own?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to draw this to a close, the car is now repaired & ready for collection, the dealers replaced the dashboard unit & re-programmed it.

Lesson to all, if you are not exactly sure what you are doing when connecting a laptop to the OBD port dont do it at all!

Should add that the dealers have been extremley helpfull , would recommend them most highly - Express garage in Herne Bay.

Andy

• 1 month later...