How you finding the performance and size?

kprida77

I started off not liking the Superb that much but having had a second look at a Superb II I'm starting to like it, especially the inside. I'm considering a manual 170 Elegence, how are people finding its performance? Particularly overtaking/joining motorway situations. I've currently got an Octavia VRS (petrol), so have got used to the easy life when it comes to overtaking etc.

Also how is it about town? Any issues with its size when it comes to parking (my Octavia sometimes only just fits in some multi-storey spaces) or manovering it?

Ta!

I have the 170 elegance and love it! Being a diesel and the low RPM, 1st is over way to quick but then there is 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th. Pulling a way in 1st can be a pain sometimes as you are straight away pulling back into 2nd. Having said that I had a long term test in a 170 DSG and couldn't get on with it, hence the manual. In gear acceleration is startling and always puts a smile on my face, no matter what gear you are in.

Size wise, I find it very easy to manoeuvre. The only thing I still misjudge is the front when nosing into a parking bay. Reversing is fine with the sensors, though when the screen is flashing red you still have around 20-30cms left to play with.

Just done 5000 with mine since mid dec and really getting used to it. Loads of motorway miles - can get 50mpg with a little effort and not to much harsh use of the right foot.

I agree with beaker, plenty of grunt on the motorway when you need it as well.

It is quite big in town so if you do loads of parking in a multi it might be a little tiresome compared to the Octavia ( I had an octavia before this one and do notice a diffeence in turning circle)

Overall pleased with it - i even caught some guy in the hotel car park explianing to his friend about the twin door :thumbup:

Brian

We've done 6k miles in our Manual 2.0 CR TDi

The Engine has always delivered enough torque and power for every situation I've been in.

In fact I would say it is a car which requires a "light foot" on all the pedals. (It took me a while to get used to them, but its fine now I have).

You need to be very careful before using full throttle in 1st or 2nd gear.

Once you've "learned the car" - joining motorways, changing lanes is a dream. There is shed loads of torque - and it is delivered at the speeds you need it.

Some pillock (who seemed to be objecting to the way I had stuck to the speed limit for the previous 5 miles) tried to cut me up on the inside joining the M11 a few weeks ago. Flooring the throttle in 3rd gear left him standing (thus avoiding a dangerous situation).

---------------------

One small detail is (based on Honest John) we are using the "Ultimate Diesel". We are seeing the claimed improvement in MPG (but it is only enough to cancel out the increased cost) - but I also tend to agree it makes the engine smoother.

I think it is a great "drivers" car.

And size ?

Internally - everyone who has sat in it has loved it. Loads of comfortable space.

Externally. It is a big car. But the turning circle is reasonable, the power steering effective and the packing sensors are brilliant. (Make sure you get sensors front and rear!). The Door mirrors are also good. The combined effect is I have no more trouble parking the Superb than I had parking the Pug 306 it replaced.

A.

Some pillock (who seemed to be objecting to the way I had stuck to the speed limit for the previous 5 miles) tried to cut me up on the inside joining the M11 a few weeks ago

Would I be wrong to presume that you were sitting obstinately in the middle or outside lane saying 'I'm not pulling over, I'm doing the speed limit. If that's too slow for him, tough.'?

Damn annoying that and if I'm right I'd have done the same.

You would completely and totally wrong to presume any such thing.

The Road leading to the M11 was all single carriageway with no real opportunities to overtake. Where opportunities had existed. it rather looked like "The Road Planners" had made damn sure to block them off (islands or barriers in middle of road etc).

Much of it was 60mph limit, some big bits 40mph limit. This comedian drove up my rear every time I dropped to 40.

Come the roundabout to join the M11, there's a filter lane in from left joining the (single) exit lane from the roundabout, but the then two lanes rapidly merge into one. Said comedian tries to cut into filter lane and take me on the inside.

Would I be wrong to presume that you were sitting obstinately in the middle or outside lane saying 'I'm not pulling over, I'm doing the speed limit. If that's too slow for him, tough.'?

Damn annoying that and if I'm right I'd have done the same.

undertaking is illegal. no ifs no buts. doesnt matter how obstinate the other driver is being. to undertake is dangerous. dont do it. period.

"its 70mph for a reason"

undertaking is illegal. no ifs no buts. doesnt matter how obstinate the other driver is being. to undertake is dangerous. dont do it. period.

"its 70mph for a reason"

Except when, and I quote from rule 268 of the highway code;

"In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right."

And living in the West Midlands this is often the case.

In terms of answering the original post I am extremely happy with the performance. My last car was a (non turbo) 2 litre petrol Audi A3, boy that car was slow in comparison. I have had to seriously re train my right foot, otherwise I would be in trouble with the law.

Dan

Yep. Undertaking is illegal (except as noted).

Cutting up someone on the inside is illegal.

I'm also happy to agree that driving in the RH land when there's usable space on the left is also generally wrong, whether done arrogantly, sanctimoniously or otherwise.

"its 70mph for a reason"

Sorry JCB. Thanks for the info. Taken on board. I won't, I promise. :D

what i hate is when you are in the fast lane, doing 70mph, overtaking someone in the middle lane and slow lane who is doing 60mph and someone comes up behind you and taligates expecting you to go faster. If I am doing the speed limit and the other two lanes are full then what am i expected to do ? break the law so someone can get home 5 seconds earlier ?? i think not !

thanks for the highway code extract. I didnt realise this ! i guess its obvious but nice to see it in writing

No such thing as a "fast lane" or "slow lane" on the motorway ;)

Left middle and right or 1st , 2nd and 3rd lanes

what i hate is when you are in the fast lane, doing 70mph, overtaking someone in the middle lane and slow lane who is doing 60mph and someone comes up behind you and taligates expecting you to go faster.

Happens to me a lot on the way home from work. I just get back into the 1st lane as soon as it's safe to, if they want to burn up the dual carriageway at 90+ then it's up to them. I'll be the one laughing when they get pulled by an unmarked car or flashed by a gantry camera a couple of miles up the road :)

daring to bring the subject back on topic.....

Have done just over 5,500 miles in a 170 Manual since Dec, and love it. Yes it's a big car, but providing you have the all round sensors (ie, opted for Park Assist, or spec'd the front ones), manoeuvring is a doddle. Haven really noticed any problems with turning circle, but virtually every car I've driven has been large saloon or estate (learnt to drive on a Volvo 245 - now *that* was a tank)

Performance is good, especially given the size of the car. Doesn't need any more power, but I'm planning on getting it chipped anyway (mid April hopefully if p-torque is reading this), if only for the fuel economy.

Apart from some techie grumbles, it's been an excellent purchase.

what i hate is when you are in the fast lane, doing 70mph, overtaking someone in the middle lane and slow lane who is doing 60mph and someone comes up behind you and taligates expecting you to go faster. If I am doing the speed limit and the other two lanes are full then what am i expected to do ? break the law so someone can get home 5 seconds earlier ?? i think not !

thanks for the highway code extract. I didnt realise this ! i guess its obvious but nice to see it in writing

Please dont tell me you never exceed 70mph on motorways

Please dont tell me you never exceed 70mph on motorways

not now I dont. I never intentionally drive above 75mph. i have the speed warning set to 80mph in case I have a lapse of concentration - although this rarely happens as i engage the cruise at about 73/74mph.

It not worth getting caught and not worth ruining my life / someone elses life by having an accident.

Saying that i did do 125mph the other day...but that was down Hangar Straight at Silverstone !!!