VRS Tdi - Which Induction kit?!?!?!

Hi folks - long time lurker - first time poster ......

I'm gagging to get an induction kit on my Tdi VRS - (MKII Jan 07) - but having gone through the wealth of knowledge on here - I'm really unsure what my options actually are.....

I know there's the K&N - but really want a BMC or similar.......

BMC don't do a standard one for this car - and I'm not technical or clever enough to see which of the custom ones is suitable .....

Any advice on the BMC or other kits that would fit my car, would be gratefully received.

Thanks for your time!!! :thumbup:

Jon

P.S. Doh - it's my 2nd post!!

Welcome to Briskoda!

First thing that you need to know is that you haven't really bought a Skoda Octavia vRS TDI but a cloned VW Golf Mk V :D Thus, when it comes to engine and suspension modifying pretty much anything designed to go on the Golf Mk V 2.0L TDI (engine wise) or GTI (suspension wise) will fit the Octavia vRS TDI. :thumbup:

On a lot of occasions when you are researching on the web or thumbing through catalogues you will not find anything listed for the Octavia, but plenty listed for the Golf.

So; I've just done a quick bit of research in my 2008 Demon Tweeks catalogue and have found the following induction kits;-

K&N 57i for Golf Mk V 2.0 Tdi part no 57-0618 - £117.50

Pipercross Golf Mk5 2.0 TDi 140 part no PK322 - £87.99

BMC Golf Mk5 2.0 TDi 140hp - £233.68

Need I say more?

• Like 1

Welcome to Briskoda!

First thing that you need to know is that you haven't really bought a Skoda Octavia vRS TDI but a cloned VW Golf Mk V :D Thus, when it comes to engine and suspension modifying pretty much anything designed to go on the Golf Mk V 2.0L TDI (engine wise) or GTI (suspension wise) will fit the Octavia vRS TDI. :thumbup:

On a lot of occasions when you are researching on the web or thumbing through catalogues you will not find anything listed for the Octavia, but plenty listed for the Golf.

So; I've just done a quick bit of research in my 2008 Demon Tweeks catalogue and have found the following induction kits;-

K&N 57i for Golf Mk V 2.0 Tdi part no 57-0618 - £117.50

Pipercross Golf Mk5 2.0 TDi 140 part no PK322 - £87.99

BMC Golf Mk5 2.0 TDi 140hp - £233.68

Need I say more?

I paid about £90 for my K&N from Revolution Peformance Motorstore

Thanks for the info guys - prices, models and links are perfect.

Thanks again for your time - I'm on it !!!

No problem, let us know which you decide to go for and how you get on.

I'll be fitting mine today so I'll let you know.

• 5 years later...

I've been wondering if an induction kit would be good idea but for a different reason. The plastic pipe work and air box on my car rattles, buzzes and resonates like mad at low speed, especially when the engine is cold. It's really annoying and makes the car sound less refined than it is. I'd happily rip out all that Fisher Price plumbing and get it to shut the hell up!

Induction kit won't make any difference on a tdi, it has all the air it needs, if you want to got cooler air in then it's an intercooler upgrade you need, unless your just after the induction noise :)

I've been wondering if an induction kit would be good idea but for a different reason. The plastic pipe work and air box on my car rattles, buzzes and resonates like mad at low speed, especially when the engine is cold. It's really annoying and makes the car sound less refined than it is. I'd happily rip out all that Fisher Price plumbing and get it to shut the hell up!

I paid for a same mistake in my old school Skoda Felicia - K&N cone filter = lots of noise with no visible performance boost :-D

Absolutely agree, My MK II 140 TDI PD has pipework i could have made better with toilet roll tubes, fits badly rattles abit and must leak a huge volume of air before it gets close to the MAF.

So i was thinking the same, get rid of the silly scoop in the top member and get a decent sealed unit for getting the air in without losing half of it, therefore making the turbo work less than having to suck in the replacement extra air thats being lost in the intial section of the intake system.

One other thing ive notced, is that as i killed my 2005 Intercooler (there is a tread about replacing it) and replaced it with a 2009 (version which is a different design) my car has a definite increase in torque and is definitely pulling a whole load stronger and smoother. I would have loved a full alloy IC but cant spend £450 on one and i doubt there will ever be a second hand one on the market.

...and with improved air charge cooling - possibility of engine overheating resulting in better oil cooler

Talking of which where is the flipping oil cooler on a MK II TDI PD?

ive seen aftermarket ones but i assume the octy has one somewhere? its not in the bumper or Rad stack so where is it hidden? or where should an aftermarket one be placed?

It has to be a good thing to have one im sure?

Talking of which where is the flipping oil cooler on a MK II TDI PD?

ive seen aftermarket ones but i assume the octy has one somewhere? its not in the bumper or Rad stack so where is it hidden? or where should an aftermarket one be placed?

It has to be a good thing to have one im sure?

Mine 103kW 8V BMM engine has got oil cooler right under the oil filter - it's a heatsink like box. Small but better than nothing. I think all aftermarket add pipwork, reductions and proper radiator for oil cooling.

Edited by sniper29a

Ah ha. Well as I haven't serviced it myself yet I haven't bothered to look at the oil filter.

I'm thinking I might invest in a cooler at some point.

It can only be a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I've got the K&N 57S airbox on my vRS TDI and its help lose the flat spots I was having at least.

air1_zps538f7ca1.jpg

I've the same filter on mine.  Where did you site your intake hose?  I've mine linked back to original air intake, but with the air scoop heated and pushed down further to catch more of the air.

I'm with Brimma, don't waste your money.  

My opinion not backed up by scientific stuff:

For increased flow there must be less filtration so more dirt must be getting through unless the surface area of the filter is increased to enable the greater flow with the same filtration.  The stock airbox draws its air from the front of the car at outside air temperature where most induction kits draw it from the warm air under the bonnet (even if they provide a bit of aluminium to stick next to it to stop heat from the engine).  In my mind that doesn't matter too much as once the air is compressed by the turbo it is heated anyway so a more efficient intercooler may be the way to go.

Edited by andy-fisher