AP coilover fitted

Managed to get my ap coilover fitted and finish a bit more of my diy intercooler.

Also fitted supersport 10mm lowering poly front top mounts and removed the rear adjuster on the coilovers before fitting.

P1000658-1.jpg

P1000659-1.jpg

P1000661-1.jpg

P1000660-1.jpg

Anti roll bars bush's are noisy now though so next weekend to replace them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. Same stance i had with my weitec coilovers. I ended up raising the rear a bit as the rear tyres rubbed slightly when going over uneven roads, plus wanted to get the front end pointing down to get the handling better. It felt a little bogged down at the rear..

Looks superb, good to hear more positive comments on the AP`s, as I`m getting mine fitted on the 16th. A few questions for you 1)How much is that lowered by on the pics? 2)Why is it a good idea to remove the rear adjuster before fitting?...and 3)Why did you fit the 10mm lower front top mounts...is it because the AP`s don`t go low enough?

Edited by VeedubyaGTi

50mm is only really 25mm on a VRS and i wanted it a bit lower so fitted the lowering top mounts to adjust for that plus they are an uprated version over standard.

The rear adjuster was removed as this gains another 20mm of lowering to compensate for the extra 10mm on the front and i dont like the look of the car with rear to high compared with the front.

The only thing i had to modify was the front adjuster as they are quite big and if running 40-50mm drop will catch the tyre slightly so just reduced the face by a couple of mm.

• 2 weeks later...

I no this is an old thread, but I'm planning on getting coilovers in a couple of weeks. I would like to have the AP's but I definitely want it lower than 25mm as I'm dropping it on the standard 17's and want to fill the arches. The sales people at awesome assure me that i will be able to further than 25mm on the AP's. I'm so confused :confused:

I think you will find that AP coilovers offer adjustment of approx 50mm which if fitted to a none VRS is a true 50mm lower. As the VRS sits approx 25mm lower than a none VRS, If you actually had the coilovers set to minimum adjustment it will have raised the VRS by 25mm. Therefore when set to there lowest position the true setting will equate to only 25mm drop.(if that makes sense)

As AP do not make coilovers specific to the VRS awesome my be quoting the drop for a standard Octavia. .

Weitec / KW variants offers a true approx 50mm drop on a VRS

I have had to raise mine at the front as the ride quality around town is poor most of the time and will be looking to replace them later in the year.

Got to take all the part numbers off the front suspension and email them to AP to check if the correct ones are fitted.

If you own a VRS i would say dont go for the AP as to get the ride quality to a good enough level you are back to standard ride height.

AP's answer was runnig at the lowest setting you are basickaly on the bump stops so not realy a true -50mm lowering kit.

Thought they would be a lot better being made by KW but sadly not.

Venom motorsport mate, im looking into them at the moment, want it a bit lower on the front with the fsd's.

ditto, I don't need it any lower, and I've repeatedly told myself I won't go any lower, but temptation and all that

Yeah just noticed your sig, same set up as me fsd's h&r springs, i keep saying that too mate, but like you tempted! Mine just sits a tad too high on the front still, an extra 10mm would be spot on i reckon, and make the overall apperence look better with a slight forward stance.

I think you will find that AP coilovers offer adjustment of approx 50mm which if fitted to a none VRS is a true 50mm lower. As the VRS sits approx 25mm lower than a none VRS, If you actually had the coilovers set to minimum adjustment it will have raised the VRS by 25mm. Therefore when set to there lowest position the true setting will equate to only 25mm drop.(if that makes sense)

As AP do not make coilovers specific to the VRS awesome my be quoting the drop for a standard Octavia. .

Weitec / KW variants offers a true approx 50mm drop on a VRS

Think I've got it. That rules out the AP's for me. I will now start looking at the KW V1's. I think that they are the next step up in price to. I don't suppose you know if i will need a new arb or drop links with the KW V1's?

Big thanks bob

Yeah just noticed your sig, same set up as me fsd's h&r springs, i keep saying that too mate, but like you tempted! Mine just sits a tad too high on the front still, an extra 10mm would be spot on i reckon, and make the overall apperence look better with a slight forward stance.

That is the only reason I went from FSD's and H&R springs to weitecs coilovers. They just were not low enough for me. Even if I went with Venom top mounts, plus the rear could not be lowered to match. I still only have the settings half way so can adjust much more.

some pics.

SkodaCarbondash013.jpg

Oscar142.jpg

WeitecCoiloversfitted002.jpg

WeitecCoiloversfitted003.jpg

WeitecCoiloversfitted013.jpg

Think I've got it. That rules out the AP's for me. I will now start looking at the KW V1's. I think that they are the next step up in price to. I don't suppose you know if i will need a new arb or drop links with the KW V1's?

Big thanks bob

Weitecs are next up as they are £475. KW V1's are £600 upwards. No you don't need new ARB or droplinks with them. Standard ones fit.

That sits spot on imo, but would you say the weitec coilovers are a better set then the fsd's/h&r for the road?

I started out with just the fsd's and standard springs......Boy!! :eek: that was way high but drove nice, but just looked wrong! The back is a tad lower then the front on mine so the 10mm top mounts should help to level it out. Think im talking my self into getting some....:D

That sits spot on imo, but would you say the weitec coilovers are a better set then the fsd's/h&r for the road?

I started out with just the fsd's and standard springs......Boy!! :eek: that was way high but drove nice, but just looked wrong! The back is a tad lower then the front on mine so the 10mm top mounts should help to level it out. Think im talking my self into getting some....:D

Sounds like it to me.:D

That is a difficult question and probably personal choice. I had FSD's with Eibachs fitted first and they were terrible. Then went with H&R's and found this to be excellent set up. Only issue is the height. I would say that the FSD's and H&R are hard to beat for overall comfort driving feel. To get the feel with Coilovers will really mean the coilovers being adjusted to the same sort of height. With mine this low the overall driving is slightly harder and the dips in the road are more noticable. The FSD's would take uneven roads in there stride and just drive over them, wheras the coilovers tend to drop into them. I have some roads in my area that i just don't drive down due to sleeping policemen, as I would need to slow right down and get some impatient A**e probably hit the back of me. If your journeys are normal roads then no problem. The plus side is the much tigher feel overall and positive feedback on smooth surfaces, and the odd track day. I love the handling and appearance, but it is not to everyones taste. So the change to coilovers were worth it to me. I think next on the list is to get the shorter top mounts so I have options to either raise the coilovers slightly to give a slightly better comfort or have a slightly more drop if required without too much difference to ride quality than it is now. .

Sounds like it to me.:D

That is a difficult question and probably personal choice. I had FSD's with Eibachs fitted first and they were terrible. Then went with H&R's and found this to be excellent set up. Only issue is the height. I would say that the FSD's and H&R are hard to beat for overall comfort driving feel. To get the feel with Coilovers will really mean the coilovers being adjusted to the same sort of height. With mine this low the overall driving is slightly harder and the dips in the road are more noticable. The FSD's would take uneven roads in there stride and just drive over them, wheras the coilovers tend to drop into them. I have some roads in my area that i just don't drive down due to sleeping policemen, as I would need to slow right down and get some impatient A**e probably hit the back of me. If your journeys are normal roads then no problem. The plus side is the much tigher feel overall and positive feedback on smooth surfaces, and the odd track day. I love the handling and appearance, but it is not to everyones taste. So the change to coilovers were worth it to me. I think next on the list is to get the shorter top mounts so I have options to either raise the coilovers slightly to give a slightly better comfort or have a slightly more drop if required without too much difference to ride quality than it is now. .

Thanks for that mate, think ill be sticking with the fsd's and h&r springs as i find them quite hard on some of the crap country lanes i have to drive down.

Other then that like you say it's agreat setup just the height is a little high, do you think the poly top mounts will make it harsher? Cheers.