Rear Parking Sensors

Got it replaced and working fine! :thumbup: But did cost me £80(sensor itself)... :thumbdwn:

Any way, yes it's not hard to access, just remove the cover and then you get better access to the sensor, when removing the sensor, make sure you don't loose the rubber ring, it stops the water and dirt getting into it and around it.

A lot of people seem to have the same same sensor failing, I think I have the answer to that, WATER.

The wire and connector to the sensor I just replaced was quite dump and the small undertray that needs to be removed for easy access to the rear righ sensor also had water on it. I tried to stop the water getting to the sensor buy stuffing the inside of the bumper(which is shallow) with bubble wrap. :D I would also consider dressing the connectors and the bit of the sensor that sticks insider the bumber, I used some small plastic bags. Anything is worth trying, remember, those sensors are £80/each and if you have a good look there is a lot of room under that bumper that could let water go straight to the sensors, all it takes it's a few puddles.

Many thanks to all of those that help me with this post!!

Best of luck!

P.S. No need to take the whole bumper down to replace any of the sensors. :thumbup:

You will have to remove bumber if you have tow bar fitted! Guess who has a tow bar:eek: ?

I've got a towbar fitted and I found it easier to get to the sensoors as there appeared to be more space, it is a Westfalia removable towbar with round tubing construction, whether that makes any difference I don't know.

I've got a towbar fitted and I found it easier to get to the sensoors as there appeared to be more space, it is a Westfalia removable towbar with round tubing construction, whether that makes any difference I don't know.

No mine is square tubing non removable type. £150 fitted

That's what I was thinking while I was removing the old one. From what I could see there is access to the wires from the top of it(or the bit that sticks in the bumper). I will have a go later on see if I can do some more damage... :D

nothing to lose, go for it!

One other idea- if it's a Short to Ground that's causing all of these failures, if you remove the shorted part of the circuit (i.e. the faulty sensor), would the other sensors continue to work again? 3 sensors are better than nothing. Perhaps the engine management would just continue to shut down everything though.

Pesky parking sensors.

anybody tried repairing one of these broken sensors? I mean are they fried when they fail or is it just a loose connection I wonder?

These devices are 'potted' which means they're resin/rubber filled. Taking them apart is possible, but it's a destructive process and they're likely to never work again.

The wires in the ultrasonic transducer are hair thick to start with - very, very easy to snap...!

I've got a 'dismantled' one around here somewhere I'll take a photo of it and put it up...

Today tested all the sensors, the only one with resistance was the faulty one on the right removed last week. Also tested wiring from Box to sensors, All ok. So I think I have four good sensors, good wiring and therefore it can only be the ECU box.

I will keep you informed.

• 1 month later...
Today tested all the sensors, the only one with resistance was the faulty one on the right removed last week. Also tested wiring from Box to sensors, All ok. So I think I have four good sensors, good wiring and therefore it can only be the ECU box.

I will keep you informed.

how did you get on with your investigations?

Is there any way without VagCom - maybe by disconnecting one at a time - to tell which sensor is faulty?

Having had a VagCom scan (thanks radioone) I bought a new sensor at £77 +VAT :eek: to replace the faulty unit (the right corner - seems to be the favourite!).

Got it connected and the fault is still there! Only difference is there is now a gap of a second or so before the high pitched squeal comes in.

Any suggestions?

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

This company's web page state at the btm of page that most oem use Veba equipment, see link

Compare Reverse Parking Sensors

The Veba AVRS1A kit is £44.99 incl 4 sensors, see link below: -

AVRS1A Parking Sensors .co.uk - AVRS1A Parking Distance Sensors to Aid Reversing and Parallel Parking

Question is what are the chances that these sensors will fit as a replacement ? Or what are the chances that Veba can supply direct if they are the oem?