My Octy II vRS after a good clean

Got a bit confused with the polishing and sealing part.

Washed first with Megs Gold class, then clayed with Megs clay and a dilute mix of water and fabric conditioner (works very well), wasn't sure whether to put on the Autoglym sealant or polish first.

Ended up polishing with AG ultra deep shine (black label), then AG paint sealant (gold label), then applied a coat of zymol cleaner wax as this stuff offers great protection and the water really beads off it.

Never dressed the tyres as I forgot to pick up the tyre gel at halfords (doh)

Nice. Really like the wheels you have, might save up for some as mine are in a right state. All scratched and the centre plastic hubs are a bit white.

I only tend to give my car a wash every 600-1000 miles (3 weeks?). I would do it more often but it looks crap after a day or so. I only spend about 30 mins doing the outside, but with a proper clean like you have, how long would you expect it to look good for?

The wheels are the first thing to look bad, they seem to get covered in a black film of road filth, and then I end up getting mud splatters all up the front wings/doors. I only clean the car when the boot gets mucky. I don't get why my car gets so filthy, it's not as if I can really rag the **** off of it since it is a 1.9. I drive it on decent roads and it has mud guards on all wheels.

Nice. Really like the wheels you have, might save up for some as mine are in a right state. All scratched and the centre plastic hubs are a bit white.

I only tend to give my car a wash every 600-1000 miles (3 weeks?). I would do it more often but it looks crap after a day or so. I only spend about 30 mins doing the outside, but with a proper clean like you have, how long would you expect it to look good for?

The wheels are the first thing to look bad, they seem to get covered in a black film of road filth, and then I end up getting mud splatters all up the front wings/doors. I only clean the car when the boot gets mucky. I don't get why my car gets so filthy, it's not as if I can really rag the **** off of it since it is a 1.9. I drive it on decent roads and it has mud guards on all wheels.

600 miles between washes is quite a bit imo, what colour is your car, some colours such as silver can look clean for ages whereas others such as black look dirty again after 50 or so miles.

I give mine a shampoo with megs gold class at least weekly.

I wax at least monthly and 2-3 times a year I clay it, it's hard work but very worth it, I never let the car get dirty and always find it only takes a 20 minute hand wash as the dirt lifts very easily.

As for the wheels, I wash them and use a wheel brush to do the backs when washing the car weekly.

I'm actually a bit obsessive about having a clean car and tbh get great satisfaction from keeping it tip top all of the time, all my neighbours must think I'm mental...lol

Please tell me you have children...

That's probably why he wants to get out of the house :P

"600 miles between washes is quite a bit imo"

I try and wash mine weekly, I do 500-600 miles a week so doing it more often would be challenging :)

It's only a shampoo, rinse & squeegee dry. I've never really been a washer type and would like to know more. Never heard of 'clay', as far as I knew, it was what stuck to my wellies when I played in the garden as kid :confused:

I do wash the wheels and get my hand behind the spokes etc. and they look OK - badly scuffed by the previous owner though :mad:

Anybody used one of those foaming guns ?

D

• 2 weeks later...
600 miles between washes is quite a bit imo

Not really, takes me about 2 weeks to do 600 miles, but if I am honest I probably wash it monthly.