Tea & Sympathy reqd.

:confused: I've just found out that VRS's do not like drinking petrol. It's at the local garage being drained and flushed, hope that is all that is required. Whats the worst case scenario for replacement parts I'm gonna have to fork out for? Fuel filter is the first item to be replaced of course. :confused:

It all depends on how much you put in and how far you tried to drive it. If you put in 1/4 of a tank and noticed before you drove off, then even the fuel filter would just be a precaution. If you put in a full tank of petrol and drove until the car conked out, you could have walked into a whole world of pain! :doh:

On the upside, the PD engines tend to be fairly resistant to abuse, and I think you've good a fairly good chance even if you did the latter! :thumbup:

I just put £12 of petrol in a virtually empty tank and drove about 5 miles. Didn't realise what I had done until the car stopped and would not start again. Inside the car smelled of burning electrics, sounds bad doesn't it?

I just put £12 of petrol in a virtually empty tank and drove about 5 miles. Didn't realise what I had done until the car stopped and would not start again. Inside the car smelled of burning electrics, sounds bad doesn't it?

Ooh. Not so good. I'm sure Ross (Lummox) will be able to rate your chances, but I don't think they're too bad. I'd do a bit of a search to see what others' experiences have been - you're not the first, and you sure won't be the last... :o

Isnt petrol in a diesel alot better then the other way around?

Still sucks dude . . . Ive never owned a diesel, so i keep going to put super in my vRS! I guess its me wishing it was a petrol engine! :rofl:

Isnt petrol in a diesel alot better then the other way around?

Still sucks dude . . . Ive never owned a diesel, so i keep going to put super in my vRS! I guess its me wishing it was a petrol engine! :rofl:

No mate, with diesel in a petrol car you can just drain the tank clean up the plugs and carb and off you go. but the derv needs some lubrication to the pump, injectors to make it run smoothly. Petrol can quickly wash all the fuel system parts of their lubricity and kna***er the injection pump, which is what I'm dreading.

Oh no! :eek:

Fingers crossed for you Bernie. She did have a new fuel filter at last service...

Steve

So why didn't you specify a petrol blocking filter???? I wanna refund!!!!

if it is knacked you may be able to claim on your insurance.

Worth checking, I'll read my policy tonight.

Incidently, VAG .com didn,t tell me any fault codes, was expecting it to show a fuel fault code or at least " Don't fill with petrol you dummy"

Won't know till tomorrow if theres major damage.

:) I'm lucky, got away with it. The local garage just drained the tank and flushed through the fuel system with some quality derv juice and is running as sweet as ever.:)

Lucky boy! When you said you smelled burned electrics I feared the worst!

So did I, must be some thermal cut outs in pump and fuel system that protected everything.

AFAIK the only insurance company that offers cover on putting the wrong fuel in is SAGA... I doubt any other company would cover you as you drove it till it conked out, though they might have paid out for a drain/refill if it wasn't started.

Good news that all is well, though as petrol strips the oil lube from the parts it touches, it may have reduced the life of the pump/injectors. See what the garage say.

Hewesy