vrs oil

hi guys

anyone know what type of oil I should be putting in my mk1 octavia vrs?

Basically I'm going to attempt to do an oil and filter change tomorrow, how much oil will i need to buy?

cheers bob

Assuming your using a fixed service plan a decent quality 10w40 will be fine.

4.4 litres.

what about 5-30 lummox? im assuming the diff number is poss the viscosity?

i dont really know alot about oil, other than the fact i spent £55 on it in halfords today

(Castrol edge 5-30)

had my oil changed 3k ago, and im planning on doin it every 2-4k from now on.

youve got me doubting todays purchase:thumbdwn:

what about 5-30 lummox? im assuming the diff number is poss the viscosity?

i dont really know alot about oil, other than the fact i spent £55 on it in halfords today

(Castrol edge 5-30)

had my oil changed 3k ago, and im planning on doin it every 2-4k from now on.

youve got me doubting todays purchase:thumbdwn:

Sounds like you bought longlfie oil there tbh.

I may be wrong though :D

If your changing it every 2-4 k you only need fixed interval oil, which is good for 10k and cheaper than longlife. Longlife is good for upto 19k (roughly), the car tells you when it needs servicing depending on how you drive etc.

HTH

Damn I didn't realise they did a Briskoda discount!

I paid £44 for 4 litres of Edge 5w30 and another £15 for a 1 litre bottle in Halfords... plus £7 for the filter and sump plug from Skoda... most expensive oil change I've ever done I think! :o

I took mine off variable service when i did a fixed change about 5k ago, up until then it had castrol edge in it and it seemed to use a fair amount of it - i went through a liter topping up in about 6-7k.

I put bog standard castrol magnatec in and have done another 5k - its not used a drop.

Is it normal for the longer life stuff to be used more quickly?

I took mine off variable service when i did a fixed change about 5k ago, up until then it had castrol edge in it and it seemed to use a fair amount of it - i went through a liter topping up in about 6-7k.

I put bog standard castrol magnatec in and have done another 5k - its not used a drop.

Is it normal for the longer life stuff to be used more quickly?

My mate always bangs on about thinner oils using more as they seep though gaps, although I don't know whjere these gaps are exactly :confused::confused::confused:

hi guys

anyone know what type of oil I should be putting in my mk1 octavia vrs?

Basically I'm going to attempt to do an oil and filter change tomorrow, how much oil will i need to buy?

cheers bob

Hello,

Might be helpful ?? I got a 2005 Fabia VRS and use 'Halfords' own brand, 5litres of 5W40 fully synthetic, VW 505.01 spec. £36.00. Filter (paper type) just under £6.00.

If you are not sure ask Skoda, what viscosity ie:- (5W40), what type (Mineral/semi-synthetic/fully synthetic), what specification (VW 500.00 VW 507.00 VW 505.01)

Brands used is the owners preference, its the small print you pay more attention to, what it says on the container.

Best Regards.

Ian. 04/04/2009:thumbup:

These are petrol engines mate, not diesel.

Cheers though:D

:rofl: was just thinking exactly the same

ive just put castrol edge in mine today, and id like to say ill keep everyone updated, but i do so little mileage its not really worth it! (i just scraped 3k in just under 7 months)