Tyres for a standard estate

Hi all,

Just waded through most of the tyre posts, but it struck me that most tyre posts are concerned with performance - not for boring drivers like me!

I need two front's for my Fabia estate 1.4TDi. I'm looking for a mix of grip, life, mpg and if possible fairly low noise (I do more long journey's than short).

Been quoted for Nexen and Kleber so far, read the reviews and the Kleber's seem to edge it? The lower wet grip of the Nexen concerns me - is it that big a problem?

The car did have BF Goodrich all round, which I liked. However I don't think they have lasted well, around 8k miles on the fronts.

I'm a conservative driver, always stick to the speed limits but I do like country lanes so some grip is required!

Any thoughts or opinions greatly recieved!

Hewesy

Mine has had Michelin Energy's on it since I got it and I must say I am not impressed with them. They don't offer much grip and are even worse in the wet (not surprising) and not particalluy quiet.

I know this isn't strictly what you asked but I would aviod them if I were you. Exprensive and not worth the cost.

Other tyre posts might be for the higher performance cars, but you'd still want everything a good tyre offers no matter what you drive. Autocar did an article about budget tyres a few weeks ago - as you might expect they do not come highly recommended! They also did a road test of a Kia Soul and cursed it's Nexen tyres.

Standard tyre size for most Fabias is 185/60/14 and most of the performance tyres are available in that size. I'd probably get a set of Continentals if I were you.

Thanks for the replies.

This does seem to be a can of worms! Obviously a lot of personal experiance and preference but for the "average Joe" choosing tyres seems to be a bit pot luck.

I'm tempted to go for the Klebers, but I will ask if they can quote for Conti's as I have seen lots of recommendations for them here.

Thanks,

Hewesy

If they are the same as our 1.9 TDI (100Hp) i.e. 185/60 14 then I would recommend Vredestein Hi-Tracs. Vredstestiens always win or come close in Auto-express tyre tests and the Hi-tracs won the test in that size a couple of years ago. We also have a pair of Quatrac 2 all season/winter tyres which are brilliant on snow/slush. I wish they made something similar in my size for the vRS as the Goodyear F1s were absolute pants when it gets cold, but there are too many threads about vRS Tyres. Price wise, well I think they were both were approx £40 each when we bought them early last year. I wouldn't bother with Klebers, they will probably be "dichfinders", stick with well known makes.

The only problem with Vredestiens are they could be hard to find so ring around or look on there website and/or ring them up as they are very helpful.

HTH :thumbup:

Edited by Jim H

Hi hewesy, I have put a pair of LASSA tyres on the front of mine (pair for the back to come soon) and they seem to be okay. I had a diesel corsa that I put 190,000 miles on mostly done on the Lassa's with no problems. I don't cane the car - getting too old for that sort of thing now, but I don't hang about either. Hope this helps.

Edited by PD75
adressed post to wrong member

Hi hewsey,

I had 2 Dunlop SP 2000 fitted just before Christmas to replace the origonal Dunlop SP2000`s that were on the car when I bought it. They had done 25,000 miles with no problems at all, I was pleased with the mileage. I purchased the new ones from `etyres` and they were £100.79 the pair fitted at my house. I thought that was a result.

I hope this helps with your decisions?

I haven't been over impressed with the mileage out of the Conti on SWMBOs 1.4 TDi estate (two sets on the front in about 30,000 miles). So I have put Goodyears Eagle NCT5s on all round. I think that they seem better and are not showing any signs of wear yet.

Another vote for the Vredestien Hi-Tracs here. I have had at least two sets on the Fabia and they have proved excvellent in all weather conditions.

Don't bother with Toyo Proxes, I had a couple on mine and they wore too quickly (10 K approx)

Just replaced all my tyes with Firestone FZ300 for £160 all in. Had Firestones on my MK4 Golf and they lasted forever so may be worth a look.

Thanks for the replies all. Went for the Kleber's and they do look suspiciously like a Michelin tread I had on my prevous car (Rover) which ran all Michelin tyres.

Will let you know how they go..

Hewesy

I've put Michelin Exalto on my wife's Polo (195/55 x 15) and they seem okay, and Michelin Primacy HP on my Passat (205/55 x 16), and a friend who has had Conti's is trying to avoid fitting them again on a Mondeo after his Hanooks run out - so he is migrating across to Michelin even although I'm trying to get him to stay with something "sportier" - he just wants miles per pence with a balance of low noise, reasonable grip and good fuel economy. The OP stipulated that he was only after a budget tyre that was budget "all round" - Michelin seem to provide that if its the complete service life of the tyre that you are considering when doing your sums. Personally I liked the SP9000s 205/55 X 16 ZR 91Ws that I had on my Passat and they seemed to last for ever strangely! In my case not a wise choice really as my car was 4X4 and these tyres are directional - but I got off with it!