New performance car for around 25 - 27k?

Yeti_Man

OK so just to throw a spanner in the works... realistically to get an RS that will hold its value a bit better than a boggo one, you will need the Lux pack 1. With blue paint it pushes the cost up to near £27K.

You can get a 2006 Audi RS4 saloon with 30K miles on the clock for £27K....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or an 07, 1500 mile RA-R, the car which broke the 8 minute barrier for a production saloon at the 'Ring....

impreza-wrx-sti-type-ra-r_48.jpg

...or an 06, 8k S204....

2006_Subaru_Impreza_S204.jpg

Mmmmm, £3k alloys and carbon seats !

I know the OP wouldn't buy a Scoob in a month of Sundays, but they are my things, so there !

i don't think he wants a scooby....

Spot on, apart from the noise (the new ones dont even sound as nice now!) they dont appeal.

After a lot more thought this weekend im narrowing things down to these few, and yes, they are all very different types of car!!! :o

1, 09 Focus RS

2, BMW 335i (3 litre straight six twin turbo) in some form or another (estate looks nicest to me!)

3, Vauxhall VXR8 - later 6.2 is within budget.

4, Keep the VRS and get the K04 installed.

Option 1 still seems right in my gut - something with a decent chassis, good chuckability, not too big, reasonable servicing & parts costs and those Recaros are probably the best seats Ive sat in! Might cope with a Mountune remap but at the end of the day it is fwd.

Option 2 is a wild card someone threw in at a bar b q yesterday afternoon. I never really wanted to think of myself as a BMW driver :P but he gets to work on some very smart machinery (Porsche, BMW, Jap stuff aminly) and he says if it was his money he'd probably be looking for a 335i and some tuning - apparently on real roads they can be genuine M3 quick without the ownership costs. I had a look at some of the better regarded tuners, mainly DMS and they certainly seem capable cars with the right tuning. In fact in all honesty I'd even consider a 335D as with tuning these see 700Nm torque and rev well for a diesel!

Option 3 is possibly too big and unwieldy for ultimate fun factor although everyone I know thats driven one says the grin takes days to go from your face :D Not many on the road which appeals, as does the sound of that V8. Tuning potential is brilliant. Loads of space for the family when it does get used for those duties.

Option 4. Well, doing this bit of research has made me appreciate just how much the Octy offers compared to other cars, even costing much more. If I added 17k to the price of the VRS sale I'd be able to get a new Focus RS. Seems a lot for a car that straightline performance wise probably isnt a million miles away from the VRS. The VRS has a more practical form and is cheap to run, insure and service. The VRS wont put the power down as well as the RS though from what I hear. I do have the K04 kit for the Octy also....

Hmmm, what to do...

Can't believe you havent thought of a new V6 4x4 superb :eek: drop of REVO and you will have an R36 or better for a damn sight cheaper :P

My choice would be to get a Focus RS in performance blue. The only thing that puts me off is the interior. Not sat in a RS yet but i have sat in numerous ST's and (dont wanna offend anyone here) they just feel Tacky :confused:

So get the focus you will regret it if you don't.

Oh and can i have first refusal on the KO4 kit please :) :) :) :) i only need the turbo an the injectors

Cheers

Carl:thumbup:

Can't believe you havent thought of a new V6 4x4 superb :eek: drop of REVO and you will have an R36 or better for a damn sight cheaper :P

My choice would be to get a Focus RS in performance blue. The only thing that puts me off is the interior. Not sat in a RS yet but i have sat in numerous ST's and (dont wanna offend anyone here) they just feel Tacky :confused:

So get the focus you will regret it if you don't.

Oh and can i have first refusal on the KO4 kit please :) :) :) :) i only need the turbo an the injectors

Cheers

Carl:thumbup:

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the post. I had actually considered a Superb estate with the 4x4 despeced R36 engine but its bigger than the Octy so Im guessing will need money spending on the handling. For a biggish car the VRS handles well with the Eibach ARB's in place. Looked at the R36 briefly but aremap will do nothing as it doesnt have a turbo sitting under the bonnet. :thumbdwn: :o

I should also have mentioned that the one that was at the top of the list over the weekend has dropped off due to servicing and parts costs - a 2 year old Audi RS4 Avant. :(

Whatever I buy needs to have a bullet proof warranty.

Oh and I know what you mean about tacky Ford interiors - they think the plasticky silver bits on the sporty ones look good - imo they look cheap. Build quality is ok though imo, its just the quality of some of the plastics.

Lee

ps - I'll be selling the K04 as a full kit im afraid (if it goes).

2, BMW 335i (3 litre straight six twin turbo) in some form or another (estate looks nicest to me!)

Let me refer you to post #12 :P

Let me refer you to post #12 :P

Yeh, ok Tom, I'll give you that one! :o

I guess, (and absolutely no disrespect to you of course) but when someone who tunes posh cars all day long says 'if it was my money...' I guess I sort of took that on board more so. :o

And Ive just been looking again at RS4 prices... Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghh :P

On a far more serious note.

How much would you be selling your car for Lee. With the K04 kit in the boot?

Im toying in either fitting my GT2871RS to my car or just sell it and get a new car? And to be honest yours is pretty much what i would be after. Since i saw/drove it i really liked it and it has always been our choice of next car. MK2 VRS, In Blue, In Estate. So go on.... Name your price?

Kind Regards

Garry

On a far more serious note.

How much would you be selling your car for Lee. With the K04 kit in the boot?

Im toying in either fitting my GT2871RS to my car or just sell it and get a new car? And to be honest yours is pretty much what i would be after. Since i saw/drove it i really liked it and it has always been our choice of next car. MK2 VRS, In Blue, In Estate. So go on.... Name your price?

Kind Regards

Garry

PM'ed but I already have a potential buyer lined up.

Back on topic...

Yeh, ok Tom, I'll give you that one! :o

I guess, (and absolutely no disrespect to you of course) but when someone who tunes posh cars all day long says 'if it was my money...' I guess I sort of took that on board more so. :o

And Ive just been looking again at RS4 prices... Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghh :P

Bloody charming! :rotz:

No offence taken though. My money would go on the 335i all day long. Don't rule out the 135i coupe either. Not the most spacious of things, but quite a weapon, and so easily tuned.

I'm struggling to think of a more tunable engine in a 'mainstream' car that yields more impressive results... :rubchin:

Lee

Go s/hand, there are some real bargains to be had, people are crying to shift stock, have a look & see what discounds are being offered on new prestige cars & it will give you an idea of what s/hand are going for. A bit above what you are looking for but new M3's can be had for 12K off list. I know of someone who bought one preregistered by bmw in

Feb 09, had 8 miles on the clock bought for a whisker less than £38K. New RS6 can be had at 20K off list. I would have a look at the Audi range & get back into 4wd. as the economy recovers a well specced Audi should hold up well, the Ford might not, especially as they may start discounting at the end or bring out a newer version

Just re read this & noted youve looked at the Evo X. Ive had a couple of plays with one of these on the track & chased it through the french mountains. Its a well sorted car & scarily quick on the track, my M8 also let the instructor take it out & he came back very very impressed. It really is a fun car to drive & the chassis could easily handle a lot more power. I would possibly bag a test drive but be warned the fuel consumption is scary, Its close to half that of my 350Z (twin turbo) when on the track

Just a thought. How does one reconcile "bulletproof warranty" with tuneability?

I thought warranties were void if you tuned your car?

No, the warranty on the associated parts is affected so if it was remapped the engine, warranty would still be valid on other unrelated parts. Tuning companies mentioned warrant the remaps so you are still covered by this warranty or 'insurance'

Lee

Just a thought. How does one reconcile "bulletproof warranty" with tuneability?

I thought warranties were void if you tuned your car?

Some manufactures do offer after market tuning that doesn't effect your warranty.. :D

OK so just to throw a spanner in the works... realistically to get an RS that will hold its value a bit better than a boggo one, you will need the Lux pack 1. With blue paint it pushes the cost up to near £27K.

You can get a 2006 Audi RS4 saloon with 30K miles on the clock for £27K....

the Audi would undoubtedly be rapid, but I get the impression it lacks any real passion or soul; it's clinically, mechanically fast. bet it sounds lush though:O

Lol. To be honest I didnt, but hey advice was asked. to be fair on british roads, there arent a lot of cars which can outrun and impreza or evo. The power and handling makes up for the interiors. Nicest interiors at the moment has to be the new Civic Type R.

The new Type R rides like its on solid shock absorbers though.

i didn't think so after test driving one for 45mins or so. No idea what it's like longer term though.