How to get the buggers to keep their seat belts on properly?

Since my son has moved up from a toddler seat to a booster seat he doesn't keep the belt on properly. The seat belt is used to strap him in, whereas with the last seat the belt secured the seat and there was a soft 3 point harness in the seat itself to strap him in. He couldn't get this off, but obviously can now get the seat belt shoulder strap to go behind his back.

If he isn't moaning about his seat belt he has got it behind his back, I have heard horrible stories of kids being paralysed by being in an accident when only being strapped in with the waist band. Short of getting the missus to sit in the back and hold his hands so he can't play with the strap I can't think of much else to do.

I did see on dragons den on dave that they bought an invention that locked the belt to the seat so it couldn't be adjusted, so there wasn't the slack to put the shoulder strap behind the back. Does anyone know if this is on the market yet, or if there is something similar to stop the strap being adjusted.

I was thinking of getting one of those strap covers in case the strap is digging in and that's why he is moving it, but I'm not confident that will work - but is worth a go. Any other ideas?

My son complained of the belt chafing around his shoulder/neck and kept flipping it behind his back, after we got him a belt pad he stopped complaining. You can get them in all sorts of designs, check ebay, get him to pick one he likes, that will encourage him to wear it if it makes him look 'cool' and its got a cartoon character on it he likes or something.

Im no expert, but Im sure If the belt is coming across his shoulder too high (if that is the problem of course!), the booster seat neds to be higher or one of the booster seats with a removable back that will lower the angle of the belt coming across his shoulder. The best bet for me would be somewhere that fits car seats, mothercare, maybe even Hellfords, etc. Who are qualified to assess your needs. Usually they will offer free advice on what you can do.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I have the same issue as my lad is just moving from full seat with 3 way harness to a booster with normal belt and he does the same thing, I suspect largely just because he can rather than any isssues of the belt being uncomfortable.

I would suggest that as with most other things, the only real success route with kids that age (or any age!) is straightfoward bribery - mines a sucker for choccy buttons, so having a packet in the car with the promise that they are his only if he keeps his belt on until the end of the journey works a treat - play their weaknesses :)

Maybe just have a bigger car seat with harness until hes of the age where he can understand why he has to wear it or he can be bribed

or you could try something along the lines of this

21f5_1.JPG

which should limit the potential of putting the belt behind him

The seatbelt fits him properly and safely when he is in the booster seat - he just puts it behind his back because he can. He doesn't do it all the time, just depends what mood he is in and if he can be distracted from playing with it. Thanks for the picture Rhoobarb, I will look for something like that because it should stop him putting the strap behind his back.

Or try to get him a booster seat with a back. This back will hold the seatbelt and it will not be so easy for him to move the belt to his back. These are actually boosterseats with an attached backsupport and headrest.

There are also seats to fit from 9 months to 36kg, These will always have a back with holders for the seatbelt.

(have a Young Sport Recaro for the granddaughter (of the wife)).

Can it be, that your son is still a bit too small for the seat? If he is too small, the seatbelt will not run over his shoulder, but a bit above his shoulder.

He than has more freedom to move the belt. Or try to fasten the belt behind the back of the seat with a clamp. So it will be a non moveable belt, like he had in its former seat (the harness).

could try what i did with my friend, she refused to wear her seatbelt, so i trickled the car along at a few mph 5 at the most and then stamped on the brakes, she was gobsmacked when she came out of her seat, always worn it since

There are probably a few places he likes to go regularly, swimming, McD's, play areas or whatever. If he doesn't wear his belt properly, he doesn't go. Make sure you stand by any threat, and if he creates, double the punishment or tell him that until he complies he will be banned from the car. You can't let them control you, no matter how hard they try !

I told my kids that if they wanted to behave like a baby then they could go back into a Baby Seat. If they want to be like the big kids they will sit properly like grown-ups and wear their seat belt.

I also sat in the driveway for long periods because one of the kids wanted to undertake a battle of wills. I have much more patience than them.:rofl:

It's also illegal (down here) not to wear your seatbelt, so I told the kids the Policeman would get them & put them in gaol.:thumbup:

my daughter once took her seat belt off on the motorway when she was about 4 years old. first i knew about it was when i looked in the rear view mirror and saw her stood up on the seats looking out the back.

Told her off, got her to get her seat belt back on and when i got home showed her the picture of my car i had just before she was born which i wrote off and told her that if i hadnt been wearing a seat belt in that accident that i wouldnt be here today. Since then she has worn a seat belt and has the picture of the car in her photo album to remind her why seat belts are important.

We give our 4 year old son a job of being 'responsible' for making sure ALL our seatbelts are done up, we do sort of roll-call and have to confirm to him we are all safe before we set off. Only takes a sec and it means he feels the big man and that way keeps his belt on and sitting in his booster properly. Might work for you?

My son complained of the belt chafing around his shoulder/neck and kept flipping it behind his back, after we got him a belt pad he stopped complaining. You can get them in all sorts of designs, check ebay, get him to pick one he likes, that will encourage him to wear it if it makes him look 'cool' and its got a cartoon character on it he likes or something.

Im no expert, but Im sure If the belt is coming across his shoulder too high (if that is the problem of course!), the booster seat neds to be higher or one of the booster seats with a removable back that will lower the angle of the belt coming across his shoulder. The best bet for me would be somewhere that fits car seats, mothercare, maybe even Hellfords, etc. Who are qualified to assess your needs. Usually they will offer free advice on what you can do.

Hope this helps.

I have to agree with this comment!

As a taxi owner, I asked the traffic police for advice on carrying children.

They said that if the child was under 10 years and no booster seat is available just put the belt on normally and tuck the down section under there arm, instead of over the shoulder.

They said the same can apply when using a booster seat,