How far can peak power be pushed up on the vRS?

Just wondering....

Peak power is 130 BHP at 4000RPM. If you asked for a special remap which was done with care - not a 'spikey' one, how far could peak power be raised?

Could it be put up to 5000?

TH

I don't think that would be possible with a remap. The reason that peak power is lower is because of the size of the turbo, the stock turbo runs out at 4000rpm so to increase your peak power then you'd need a larger turbo to take it there.

Phil is right.

However, if you just wanted to move the peak power of 130bhp you should be able to achieve this with a map.

Just wouldnt be able to map to the usual aprox 170bhp and have this peak at 5000rpm.

Just wondering....

Peak power is 130 BHP at 4000RPM. If you asked for a special remap which was done with care - not a 'spikey' one, how far could peak power be raised?

TH

Out of interest - why would you even want it there? You're bouncing off the limiter at 5000rpm :D

It is just that a wide power band is always nice. Some diesel cars on the market now have a 4400 RPM peak power so I was wondering if this was due to engine design or just the way they were mapped. I am happy with my vRS the way but it is nice to contemplate such issues.

TH

Just wondering....

TH

IMO....

The standard turbo is too small to flow sufficient air at higher RPMs.

Diesel engine ignition limits revs at which power is produced.

The PD system including the camshaft is setup/timed for 4K(ish) rpm not 5K rpm.

On the other hand....

Fit a larger turbo and free up the breathing as much as possible with a decat and free flowing exhaust. Fit a new factory air filter and the likes of a PD160 intake pipe and it'll improve across the board.

J.

Mine runs up to 5,000rpm but with no limiter moving, so that is where it bounces off the limiter too. I don't like max power being too high in the rev range which is why I like having a ceiling of 240+ bhp from 3400rpm to 4600rpm. My dyno graph is a little odd as it appears poor low down, but that's just the way it overfuelling on the dyno and kicked in quite a bit later as a result. Having 240hp still at 4600rpm though does mean I am often bouncing off the limiter :o I am (fingers crossed) hoping to have my limiter raised to 5500rpm on a new map soon.

You have to remember that the standard vRS produces more then 130 BHP. According to Superchips Graphs the PD130 engine produces 138 BHP @ 4040 Rpm. When I had a rolling Road sesion my standard Furby produced 142.1 BHP @ 3910 Rpm (143.3 @ 4055 after fitting K&N filter) and 249.9 lbf @ 2116 rpm of Torque, I think Skoda claim 230 lbf. I think Garry (Oilburningnut) got 155 BHP on his bog standard Fabia SE at Awesome.

I would personally want a power boast at about 3500 RPM because I never run to the red line, realy run to 4,000 revs and normally change at 3500 even when "pushing it". So you would have a kick at 2K then another at 3-3.5 K.

Something like this Jim? Feels like a naturally aspirated engine coming on cam at 3400rpm lol. Nice to overtake with though, as you usually pull out at around 2500-3000rpm and as you're coming past the car it winds up a gear past 3400rpm.

I've mapped my car like this because the clutch is rubbish and need to get maximum life out of it :D

kevsskoda.jpg

Something like this Jim? Feels like a naturally aspirated engine coming on cam at 3400rpm lol. Nice to overtake with though, as you usually pull out at around 2500-3000rpm and as you're coming past the car it winds up a gear past 3400rpm.

I've mapped my car like this because the clutch is rubbish and need to get maximum life out of it :D

That must be an excellent map for track day action?

Yeah, feels good, i like to rev my diesel. Toying with the idea of de-cat but think i'd be pushing my luck on the standard KKK turbo. I've already surpassed the office bets on how long my turbo would last so my days must be numbered :D

Kev

Yeah, feels good, i like to rev my diesel. Toying with the idea of de-cat but think i'd be pushing my luck on the standard KKK turbo. I've already surpassed the office bets on how long my turbo would last so my days must be numbered :D

Kev

Congrats: You are the the official "Let's see how a KKK turbo lasts" experiment. :D

J.

Congrats: You are the the official "Let's see how a KKK turbo lasts" experiment. :D

J.

Haha thanks, im up to 84,000 miles at the minute (about 20k mapped), i rack the mileage quite quick.

Boost sits at 1.5bar untill it hits about 3000rpm where it picks up to 1.6bar then starts to drop :)

Kev

Haha thanks, im up to 84,000 miles at the minute (about 20k mapped), i rack the mileage quite quick.

Boost sits at 1.5bar untill it hits about 3000rpm where it picks up to 1.6bar then starts to drop :)

Kev

Amazing what correct fueling, air mix and then a nice amount of boost can do!

Peak 1.6Bar isnt that OTT either really, ive seen 1.75 peak on a few maps in my time....