Some Insurance quotes that raised eyebrows...

My insurance profile is as follows...

male

licence for 4.5 years

4 years ncb

6 points, two sp30s

I was recently quoted £550 to insure a new mkvi golf gti fully comp, £530 to insure a new scirocco gt fully comp and £450 to insure a standard fabia vrs.

Is it me or should the gap between the fabia and the vws mentioned be a little wider? As soon as mods were added to the fabia (brakes, suspension but not remap) the quote rocketed to £710. I know I could get all quotes down by talking to chris knott etc but I thought the insurance companies wouldn't have been so in favour of me insuring a costly new vw!

1. Don't count on CK or AF doing wonders - they can for some, but not for others (like me)

2. Golf GTIs and Scirocco GTs don't turn up on their roofs as often as vRSes seem to, due to 'over-exuberant driving'...

in 1988 not long after passing my test i looked at an Opel Manta GTE. Cost of the car was £2500 insurance was £4k.

This week got a quote for brand new Volvo V50 2.0 Tdi. Fully comp is £243 my current 10 year 161000 mile Slx Tdi Octavia is £320 ish. All useage details are the same.

I spoke to a 21 year od guy last week, driving an MG-ZT (yeah I know...) and asked him how much his insurance was.

He initially said "Don't ask..." but when pressed he told me £360.....A MONTH!!!

When I pointed out to him that that added up to over £4000 he said "I know, but I like to have a nice sporty car! :lol:

So why buy a ROVER then?

in 1988 not long after passing my test i looked at an Opel Manta GTE. Cost of the car was £2500 insurance was £4k.

This week got a quote for brand new Volvo V50 2.0 Tdi. Fully comp is £243 my current 10 year 161000 mile Slx Tdi Octavia is £320 ish. All useage details are the same.

That's nuts - I passed my test in 1988 and HAD a Manta GTE within the first year, it was about £350 fully comp. The following year I had a near new Astra Sri, rapidly exchanged for a 4 month old GTE16V - even that was only about £450 fully comp, and yes it got nicked!

Guest musky

When much younger someone offered me a TVR 2500M for £1100 which I could afford just, but my best insurance quote was £1200 which I couldn't!

cheers for the replies. some good thoughts there. Still can't believe how much the young uns are willing to pay.

I always thought the vrs was a bargain to insure but maybe insurance companies really have started jacking its premiums up.

a lot of things add to and subtract from insurance quotes. where you live, how old you are, the type of car, how many claims have been made in the past year on that particular type of vehicle, your licence. how long you had it, mod's, claims and with some if you have passed an reconised advanced test.

imho what you have been quoted for a vrs with 6 points seems good to me, but thats just my opinion.

a lot of things add to and subtract from insurance quotes. where you live, how old you are, the type of car, how many claims have been made in the past year on that particular type of vehicle, your licence. how long you had it, mod's, claims and with some if you have passed an reconised advanced test.

imho what you have been quoted for a vrs with 6 points seems good to me, but thats just my opinion.

your comment about the fabia seems to suggest it has a certain amount of notoriety amongst insurers though and that's what I found interesting too. I've had two before and don't remember thinking the insurance was strange. It's not necessarily the price of the quote for the fabia, more the fact that the two vws aren't significantly more expensive. The Vrs really must have a dodgy profile!

A modified fabia VRS has a very bad rep as lots of them end up off the road or on their roof. By lots I mean enough to be noticed and it does seem to have attracted a certain number of the saxo generation too.

When I was checking out quotes for mine recently I came across one place that wouldn't insure Skodas at all (or Saxos). Another place I rang quoted me something like £500 before mods were even taken into account (I'm 30 and have 10yrs ncd).

I have insured it for alot less than that now.

Unfortunately I know the answer to this one - type of speeding fine! :thumbdwn:

yeh, fixed penalty for exceeding a 30mph.

Comically, I've had one bad month in four years of driving where I racked up two offences. :rotz:

I'm still disappointed with myself :confused:

Whats an sp30?

You could say it's a fee for failing to see the big yellow box or white van whilst at the same time failing to notice that you're exceeding the speed limit .Ofter referred to as contributing to road safety ,but if so, how come no action is taken at the time of offence . :confused::confused:

Now if it is offered by a gentleman in a brightly colored car ,following you down the road ,it could be called a penalty for failure to observe said car .:eek:

You could say it's a fee for failing to see the big yellow box or white van whilst at the same time failing to notice that you're exceeding the speed limit .Ofter referred to as contributing to road safety ,but if so, how come no action is taken at the time of offence . :confused::confused:

Now if it is offered by a gentleman in a brightly colored car ,following you down the road ,it could be called a penalty for failure to observe said car .:eek:

I could have, but I haven't the energy to deal with the huge lump of self-rightousness that would have been tossed my way by the goody goodies!

I spoke to a 21 year od guy last week, driving an MG-ZT (yeah I know...) and asked him how much his insurance was.

He initially said "Don't ask..." but when pressed he told me £360.....A MONTH!!!

When I pointed out to him that that added up to over £4000 he said "I know, but I like to have a nice sporty car! :lol:

So why buy a ROVER then?

thats surely a comedy sketch off a harry enfield esque program, it amazes me though as the car ive just bought cost not much more than that!! and its one of the best cars ive ever drove!!!

You'll also find that as you get older the insurance companies put less emphasis on performance. I have a friend in his 60s who was paying £300 for his Mk1 Octy VRS and was quoted £370 on an M3 of the same age.

Yeh, and chris knott (not him himself) told me yesterday that as soon as claims / faults / convictions get a couple of years old. they get ignored to a point anyway.

I always wince when my dad gets his insurance quote for his 96 Subaru Impreza Turbo. It's under £250 a year. :eek: I suppose that's called grey hair and an age that starts with a six. ;)