A way not to spend a couple of days

Hi Guys,

I've just spent two of the most painful days of my life, started Monday night with horrible pain in my sides and lower down area's ! :o, closely followed by fever and non stop vomiting, Tuesday morning couldn't get an appointment to see the doc untill 5pm Tuesday night, spent all day in agony unable to keep anything down, but still throwing up. At last 5pm rolled round only to be told by the doc that it sounds like kidney stones, go home and drink plenty (even if you are still being sick !, oh what joy), so spent all last night tipping water down my thoat and it seemed watching it come back up again, but I guess some must have staid down as twice today I've been to the loo and fired out (quite literally) what look like pieces of spikey gravel about 6mm in diameter :eek:, god it hurt like hell :(, but I now feel 100 percent better, just extreamly tired and weak.

I wouldn't have beleived anything like this could be so painfull !.

Fingers crossed I won't get any more and I hope no one on here ever does either !

Alan.

Although I've not had it myself, those that I've known that have said it was as close to giving birth as you can get. I feel you pain. Still not sure why some folk suffer from it and others don't. At 6mm thats about the size the doctors usually intervene. ouch

Cheers guys,

Not sure what causes them I'm 41 years young, pretty fit (do alot of walking carrying a heavy bag of camera gear), eat a good varied diet, don't smoke, drink a little, as you say from searching on the net the only things I do like (and perhaps over indulge in from time to time) are cups of tea and chocolate, they can be contributing factors ?, so will cut back on both of those to try and stop it happening again, anything to avoid going through it again !.

Alan

I had a kidney stone just days before my 30th birthday , and i was also on a course for work ,away from home ,eventually i was taken to the hospital in Rugby , 1 morphene (sp) injection later , ah what a relief, work had to come and collect me and the car from Daventry, and take me home to Chester

kidney stone = absolute agony and a ruined birthday

I feel for you as I've had two sessions of Kidney Stones!

You are either predisposed to them or not according to my doctor - diet and whathave you has little impact. The only solution is to drink more and hope they pass when smaller.

At least you didn't have the full works inspections which included (for me anyhow) urine samples (came out like red wine!), a Cystoscope (basically and endoscope up you to look at the inside of your bladder) and then ultrasound scans.

Not pleasant (particularly the middle one as whilst they say the equipment is of a small diameter beleive me it aint!)

commonest stones are calcium oxalate so cutting down on dairy foods, strawberries, tea and bovril can help alittle. another main cause allowing stones to form is dehydration - urine more concentrated, easier for crystals to form and lead to a stone - so keep hydrated. if you have the pain drinking more doesn't 'flush' it out, only makes the other kidney work a bit harder. sometimes you may be given flomax (great name for a drug, does what it says on the box!) to help the stone pass. most stones under 1cm will pass, almost all under 5mm will pass.

i am up to stone no.7 now - all have passed themselves bar 1 which was removed via cystoscopy - not fun

all have passed themselves bar 1 which was removed via cystoscopy - not fun

Hmmm - Am I glad they didn't find anything in there when I had my Cystoscope! - although having said that I reckon most stones would be a smaller diameter than the cystoscope itself!

I've had three, first two were hospital jobs, morphine certainly did it's job. The third time I was quite drunk when the pain started (thought the lager might have worked it loose) so I managed to pass that one without a hospital visit as the alcohol must have dulled the pain.

Same as you I was vomiting and it also makes you feel like you need the toilet (both numbers) even though there's nothing to pass. I had loads of tests involving radioactive liquid, tennis balls and all sorts of imaging equipment :)

All hail the stone club! I had gall stones for 2 1/2 yrs then after collapsing on hols, I was whisked to a&e and on return to home admitted for the magic laproscopic cholecystectomy and life is back bliss. Even chilbirth was less painfull and far less stressfull too 1 stones size of a small pea and the other an inch across! The infection in the navel wound wasn't pleasant either!

I've seen the camera down the willy a few times in theatre, made my eyes water and I'm a gal! At those times guys smile short is better!

Keep smiling x

I have had kidney stones since 1987 in varying amounts.... about 5 or 6 currently residing in left kidney and a couple in the right one.... :mad:

Had many sessions of lithotripsy...... and quite a few keyhole surgery operations, all with very limited success. :thumbdwn:

I am only too grateful that I can manage any discomfort with an occasional painkiller..

Does however feel like a ticking time-bomb that will one day come back a trouble me some more..... only hope it doesn't..............

You have my sympathy - I've had this 3 time and it is not pleasant. Twice they were hospital jobs, 3rd time I was on holiday but fortunately after the 1st 2 goes the doc had given me some pethidine tablets to carry. - killed the pain and I was fortunate to pass the stone quickly.

Tablets are way out of date now and doc wont prescribe them any more. I'm hanging on to the old ones as they are bound to be better that nowt!

Only thing you can do is get into the habit of drinking lots of water to keep your kidneys flushed out.

Does however feel like a ticking time-bomb that will one day come back a trouble me some more..... only hope it doesn't..............

Yep same here - two sessions and it's always in the back f my mind when I start to feel rough... is itor isn't t...:thumbdwn: