new vrs 2.0tdi cr 170

**edit** Would have liked a CR but way over what I was looking to pay.Don't imports come with 2 year warranty instead of 3? **edit**

Speaking of which, anyone like to guess where ebay item 370217638134 has been for the last 2 years? Green calipers, 17's , no jumbo box - but BRAND new?!:eek:

I noticed alot of old stock around when looking around (I bought my vRS PD less than 2 weeks ago) - PD 170's on 09 plates...:(

Edited by modra_vrs

Yes, good price if you want a CR.

If they are EU parallel imports (e.g. from Malta) they come off the same production line as cars destined for UK, but have 2-year factory warranty. You could buy a third year warranty for around £300. 'Official' UK-dealer sold cars actually also have only 2 year factory warranty, the third year is provided by Skoda UK (hence the slightly different terms and conditions in Year 3).

Quite correct, as long as buyers are aware of this, and go into a purchase with their eyes open :)

There may also be some standard spec differences.

Steve

That ebay car is well dodgy. Green calipers, no jumbo box etc being sold unregistered in 2009? Front end has taken a bash from something. Look at the crack in the bumper and the knackered chrome grille surround (pictured above).

And presumably if it was possible to shut the bonnet properly someone would have done so for the 'beauty pix'!

Just out of interest ... can anyone identify the largish dark coloured car pictured behind the VRS in pix #2 and #3. I can't place it at all!

Edited by youngbaz

It's a VW Phaeton. That place has got two of them. One of them has been trashed big time pre-delivery and isn't registered. Dents all over!

• 4 weeks later...

I have bought one of the Octavia CR VRS cars from Motorpoint. I pick it up on Tuesday.

They are imports from Southern Ireland apparantly. I cannot see any differences from the standard spec. They do have maxi dot however which I didn't think was standard

Wonder if they're Maltese imports again, or UK vehicles?

Steve

Maltese imports that's interesting. I don't think I would want to run a Diesel with a DPF on Malta as very few places to give the car a decent run and burn off the soot.

Cheap price though!

He's mentioned Southern Ireland in this case Matt, but in my experience that will be the place they've gone to, before coming into the UK. Where they actually originated is another matter :)

'New' Skodas Motorpoint have sold in the past have originated in Malta. That's not to say they've actually been used in Malta at all though! The island does have some quite decent tracks and country roads though, I know that much :D

IIRC, the previous cars came to Motorpoint UK branches with delivery miles on them.

Steve

I bought my Fabia brand new from Motorpoint. Basically it got shipped to a deaer in Malta where it then went straight to motorpoint. It had 26 miles on the clock and as far as the V5 goes, it isn't technically an import as it was first registered and used by me in the uk.

If you can cope with the ****e customer servce of Motorpoint, go for it. Just don't expect a bunch of flowers for the Mrs.

I have bought one of the Octavia CR VRS cars from Motorpoint. I pick it up on Tuesday.

They are imports from Southern Ireland apparantly. I cannot see any differences from the standard spec. They do have maxi dot however which I didn't think was standard

Irish RS's had a higher base spec than the UK cars, maxidot, light assit and rear electrics are standard on the irish cars. Does the car have a KM speedo?

I bought my Fabia brand new from Motorpoint. Basically it got shipped to a deaer in Malta where it then went straight to motorpoint. It had 26 miles on the clock and as far as the V5 goes, it isn't technically an import as it was first registered and used by me in the uk.

If you can cope with the ****e customer servce of Motorpoint, go for it. Just don't expect a bunch of flowers for the Mrs.

How does that work in terms of warranty though? Do you end up with just the 2yr manufacturer warranty, and loose out on the year 3 arrangement, which is backed by the dealer network?

Steve

Yes, 2 year warranty from the date of delivery to the overseas dealer. This is where you need to 'open your eyes'. I bought my car in Jan 07 (1st registered keeper) but the warranty commenced Oct 06, so i only had a 21 month warranty. To summarise:

Motorpoint pros - a brand new car 000's cheaper than dealer, no wait for build/delivery

Motorpoint cons - 'Basic' level of customer service, limited product knowledge, no OEM optional extras available, variable warranty period, car won't be registered with Skoda UK making warranty claims difficult innitially, possibility of variance between standard spec (though sometimes in a positive way), they dont 'valet' the car they just put the hoover round.

I bought my Octy last week from a dealer, and i could have travelled literally 1/2 a mile to Motorpoint and picked up a new one for the same price i paid.

Why didn't i? Motorpoint customer service is very sterile and clinical, i picked up an ex demo with only 5k on the clock (had been run in and all niggles sorted by the dealer) and being an ex demo it had loads of extras that the motorpoint cars dont have. Plus the service in the Skoda dealer was great. The staff there are willing to spend time with you, unlike Mototpoint where you sometimes feel like an inconvenience.

Obviously this is down to personal choice and there is no right or wrong answer. This is just from my experience.

Motorpoint don't only do Imports. They also handle lots of rep cars and company cars with less than 10k and a year old. My cousin bought a top of the range Astra 1.9CDTI (150) XP with 8k on the clock on a 58 for £9400 - a £3000 saving over the same car at a VX dealer.

Only thing I've ever though that if it's an imported Skoda in say 5 years time will it be able to be sold the same as any other UK Skoda. Warranty doesn't apply any more and as long as it's the same spec should they be worth the same?

I bought my Octy last week from a dealer, and i could have travelled literally 1/2 a mile to Motorpoint and picked up a new one for the same price i paid.

Did you get your Skoda from Capital? Found them really friendly last year when I was asking than about the Fabia vRS.

Only thing I've ever though that if it's an imported Skoda in say 5 years time will it be able to be sold the same as any other UK Skoda. Warranty doesn't apply any more and as long as it's the same spec should they be worth the same?

I can quote my mates experience with a 2006 plate Golf GTi. It was a new import from Cyprus, UK spec (although handbook in German) and had 2 years warranty, him as first UK owner.

He sold it a month ago with 57,000 miles on it (3 years old) for £9k . The main dealer where he had serviced it to schedule wouldn't take it for any money and because it stated registered oversee's first, every punter he had to view it offered silly money. In the end he sold it to an independent garage but would have probably got £12k for had it not been an import.

The flip side was that he bought it £4.5k cheaper than a "genuine" UK model.

So, I think the old saying , you pays your money and make your choice rings true with imports.

Yep, you pays your money and takes your choice :)

On those sums he's still ahead by 1.5k, if he got that level of discount when purchasing it.

Steve

I can quote my mates experience with a 2006 plate Golf GTi. It was a new import from Cyprus, UK spec (although handbook in German) and had 2 years warranty, him as first UK owner.

He sold it a month ago with 57,000 miles on it (3 years old) for £9k . The main dealer where he had serviced it to schedule wouldn't take it for any money and because it stated registered oversee's first, every punter he had to view it offered silly money. In the end he sold it to an independent garage but would have probably got £12k for had it not been an import.

The flip side was that he bought it £4.5k cheaper than a "genuine" UK model.

So, I think the old saying , you pays your money and make your choice rings true with imports.

The difference with mine was that it was never registered abroad. Mine got delivered to Malta where it had its delivery quality check then came straight to the UK. As i've stated the V5 has no record of it being imported because it was imported as a brand new/unregistered car. If the car had been registered to use on the road in malta it would have been subject to the usual import rules. The only reason i can see why mine wasn't given a 3 year warranty is because it wasn't sold through the Skoda UK dealer network.