glowplug warning light flashing!?!

Thanks, I need to go to Peterborough Monday for a Passport interview. I simply can't miss. Will it be okay to drive as is? 3hr round trip.

Will VCDS tell my local indy this is the fault or will I need to. Or worse still do I need to venture to the main dealer?

I popped down to see Dave a DSB in Bulwell first thing this morning, but as luck would have it hes off on his jollies for a week.

I had no choice but to risk it, car performed faultessley all the way there and all the way back. slight judder evident only twice on coast down/cruise throughout journey. No more lights.

It wont be driven now for the week. Hopefully the error code is still stored in there somewhere....

Edited by miller

I had/have the same problem on 140 PD Scout.

There are lots of differently-titled threads on this forum about basically the same symptoms.

# Fault codes - I was told by the dealer that they never disappear from the memory until they are manually deleted. So if it throws a light, the code will always be stored in the memory.

# Mine does this occasionally - I've learnt to ignore it now, BUT,

# When it first started, I took it to the dealers. Faulty exhaust gas sensor diagnosed, replaced and manual DPF regen performed. Without replacing the sensor, the DPF won't regen automatically and so will build up and 'choke' the engine eventually.

# Since then it's thrown lights occasionally. Another thread somewhere on here gives fuel filter as the problem. And, looking back, my glow plug light issues have eased off since fuel filter replaced at about 40k.

Exactly as I already said it sounds like ur ex pressure sensor, u will also get a slight judder while driving,

I was told not to drive mine till I got it sorted, drove home 25 miles max from dealer and parked up, my dpf was at around 30% I think and I got the new sensor coded and blasted dpf out.all was 100% then.

Hope u didn't fill ur dpf up ;(

• 4 weeks later...

Great, just had this flash up on mine.

So after reading all of the responses here, it could be just about anything in the car that is causing the problem. So that'll be another £90 to diagnose the problem.

Only had it out of the garage a week, and now this. I must have spent nearly £2000 in the past 6 months keeping the car on the road.

Rather tempting to leave it in Liverpool with the keys in the ignition.

• 11 months later...

Thread revival!

Driving to work this morning, 70mph gradual acceleration in 6th and the same 'bong', flashing glowplug light and "Check Engine Workshop" message.

Pulled over turned off the engine and it all reset. Another few miles and the same thing.

It's booked in at the local Skoda dealer this afternoon for the £66 diagnostic check.

From this (and other similar searched threads) I've written down a few possible causes...

1) Brakelight switch

2) Throttle position sensor

3) Exhaust gas pressure sensor

4) G235 Exhaust temperature sensor bank 1

5) Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR)

6) Blocked turbo vanes

Now, I've already had the exhaust gas pressure sensor replaced last year, is there more than one? Last time it brought up only the EML (Engine Management Light) light and there was no evidence of limp home mode either.

Also the car has had a turbo on it less than two years ago so I'm hoping I can rule that out too?

One thing I have noticed over the last two weeks or so is a lack of DPF regen's, on my PD170 they are normally very evident. I remember thinking the other day the car has been so nice to drive recently, now I know why! This is why my thinking is another duff sensor but hopefully I'll find out later today.

• 7 months later...

Ah, I'm plagued!

My last post above was on my old vRS from May last year. I ended up chopping the car in as it was eating turbo's.

On the way to the airport this morning the wife rings to say the glowplug light is flashing on the Scout.

Don't think it's the turbo (please god don't let it be!) so I'm hoping for the gas pressure sensor.

I hope it wasn't my actions that caused it - I was driving it by myself on Sunday and gave it a good thrashing to clear it out and get the DPF hot as the wife just pootles to work and back.

Had that on my 08 Scout on the motorway once, spotted the glow plug light flashing and kept an eye on it, no limp mode or anything, after a while it stopped on its own accord so I just kept going.

A scan later revealed this:

Address 01: Engine        Labels: 03G-906-021-BMM.clb
   Part No SW: 03G 906 021 SS    HW: 03G 906 021 AB
   Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000SG  1302 
   Revision: --H08---    Serial number: SKZ7Z0H4763111
   Coding: 0000172
   Shop #: WSC 73430 000 00000
   VCID: 820F4DABDD7E6108B78

1 Fault Found:
001025 - EGR System
               P0401 - 000 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00110000
                    Fault Priority: 1
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Mileage: 150393 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 19:12:09

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1785 /min
                    Speed: 93.0 km/h
                    Load: 0.0 %
                    Duty Cycle: 17.4 %
                    Duty Cycle: 95.1 %
                    Mass Air / Rev.: 270.0 mg/str
                    Mass Air / Rev.: 460.0 mg/str

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Its not come back in the last 15k miles so I have largely ignored it.

That sounds a bit more reassuring, thanks Anddenton. A gummed up EGR is a real possibility as she drives it like Miss Daisy. Perhaps me giving it a good thrashing on Sunday has loosened up some gunk?

Radders, I've told her to take it to the local trusted garage in the morning and flutter her eyelids to see if they'll read the codes for her. I'm not taking it to Skoda, they'll want £80 just to plug it in.

After speaking to her a little more the light appears to be very intermittent, it briefly appears then dissappears (over speed humps she reckons, hmmm), but when she was sat in traffic at a level crossing it flashed constantly until she set off again then it went off.

The problem is she hasn't been over 40mph in it yet so she can't say for sure if it's dropping into limp-home mode or not.

Should know more tomorrow.

My first post so be gentle...

Got the same problem ith flashing glow plug that re-sets when ignition off/on but inevitably comes back again. Scanned the DTC's and got 2 :-

P242A Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 3

P242B.Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 3

Car is just past 3 years old and has 1 year Skoda warranty from dealer I bought from 3 months back. Will book in to have checked but does anyone know if Skoda Warranty will come out and fix? i.e is this Skoda Assist?

All advice appreciated. Great forum.

Had the flashing glowplug light this morning too on way to work, with car going into limp mode just after joining the M4. As I have to travel 40 miles to work I decided to take it to Sinclair Skoda (SS) in Swansea as they open at 8am. Halfway there the DPF light comes on too.

SS were good enough to look at the car and their diagnostic came up with a turbo issue. They cleared the fault as they couldn't find any obvious probs and told me that a 'spirited' drive in 5th would clear the DPF. If it came on again they said to come back and they'd look at it properly. SS didn't charge me a penny for looking at and clearing the faults, which was nice!

Sure enough the car was performing ok back on the M4 but it took nearly 15 miles in 5th and 2500+ revs to for the DPF light to go out, which is slightly worrying and leaves me guessing the DPF must have been quite blocked to take that long to clear.

Hoping that the problem, if it returns, is only the exhaust pressure sensor as with having to replace the engine (and numerous associated bits and pieces) on the car in 2013, and the injectors, following a failure, in 2011 (this was done courtesy of Skoda UK fortunately), I seem to be haemorrhaging money to the car since purchasing it, which is a shame as it's a fantastic car to drive and own.

Edited by jimbob77

My first post so be gentle...

Got the same problem ith flashing glow plug that re-sets when ignition off/on but inevitably comes back again. Scanned the DTC's and got 2 :-

P242A Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 3

P242B.Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 3

Car is just past 3 years old and has 1 year Skoda warranty from dealer I bought from 3 months back. Will book in to have checked but does anyone know if Skoda Warranty will come out and fix? i.e is this Skoda Assist?

All advice appreciated. Great forum.

Yes, this is a warrantable item.

The gas pressure sensors are a known weakness, so much so that the Skoda Assist technicians (usually RAC vans) often carry these sensors with them. There are three, two either side of the DPF and one on the turbo.

Your fault code suggests sensor three, although I'm unsure which of the three sensors sensor '3' is.

Get it booked in ASAP, if the failed sensor is on the DPF it is likely that if it is means the DPF won't be regenerating as it should be.

Edited by silver1011

Had the flashing glowplug light this morning too on way to work, with car going into limp mode just after joining the M4. As I have to travel 40 miles to work I decided to take it to Sinclair Skoda (SS) in Swansea as they open at 8am. Halfway there the DPF light comes on too.

SS were good enough to look at the car and their diagnostic came up with a turbo issue. They cleared the fault as they couldn't find any obvious probs and told me that a 'spirited' drive in 5th would clear the DPF. If it came on again they said to come back and they'd look at it properly. SS didn't charge me a penny for looking at and clearing the faults, which was nice!

Sure enough the car was performing ok back on the M4 but it took nearly 15 miles in 5th and 2500+ revs to for the DPF light to go out, which is slightly worrying and leaves me guessing the DPF must have been quite blocked to take that long to clear.

Hoping that the problem, if it returns, is only the exhaust pressure sensor as with having to replace the engine (and numerous associated bits and pieces) on the car in 2013, and the injectors, following a failure, in 2011 (this was done courtesy of Skoda UK fortunately), I seem to be haemorrhaging money to the car since purchasing it, which is a shame as it's a fantastic car to drive and own.

I've been where you are.

I'm not here to put you off the vRS but once my DPF light started appearing it became a regular occurance. I never did short journey's either, all motorway stuff to keep the DPF clear.

It seems the PD170 and DPF aren't perfectly suited (lots of threads on this, and there appears to be a connection with them to cars that have had the injector recall carried out too).

Edited by silver1011

Post up the codes if SWMBO manages to get them read.

She popped into the garage yesterday and had the codes read, on the way the EML came on and she noticed limp-home mode kick-in.

A quick nosey about on Google suggests that these codes point to one of the gas pressure sensors, although I'm unsure which one it is.

It's booked in for Tuesday for them to take another look.

Just wanted to say that I had this issue (flashing GlowPlug Warning light). Happened after popping the car up on a curb outside my house. When I came back to the car and started it, I had the warning light.

Turns out it's just that both my brake bulbs are out! (although the window brake light was still active).

So fixed for the price of a pair of new bulbs in my instance and not a Brake Switch replacement to be seen.

Phew! Guess bumping it up the curb killed the last of my Brake bulbs. I had recently changed the battery a few days prior, so maybe that had upset the old bulbs.

Did you not have the 'blown bulb' warning light after the first bulb blew?

Got the car back now, the garage replaced the affected temp sensor and all is now good!

It seems the glowplug and engine management light serve a multitude of purposes!

Did you not have the 'blown bulb' warning light after the first bulb blew?

Got the car back now, the garage replaced the affected temp sensor and all is now good!

It seems the glowplug and engine management light serve a multitude of purposes!

Yes! It seems the warning light can indicate all sorts of issues!

No, no blown bulb warning light, or when one of my main front bulbs went some time ago. My Skoda is a late 2004, the older version, so maybe I don't get that one!

Yes! It seems the warning light can indicate all sorts of issues!

No, no blown bulb warning light, or when one of my main front bulbs went some time ago. My Skoda is a late 2004, the older version, so maybe I don't get that one!

My mates mk4 golf had eml come on once due to both break bulbs being blown. Confused the hell out of him cause it wouldn't go off again till I reset it with vcds.