What pug 205 is this????

WelshLoon

Hi guys/gals

Had a bit of a play with a Pug 205 Gti today on a clear private road ;), fair play from 80-120 ish he stuck right with me then i slowed and let him past.

Was thinking it must of had an mi16 or Gti6 engine transplant, he didnt have enough to overtake but i didnt pull away from him at all, totally standard looking too.

Thoughts please :)

Guest westallc

a normal 1.9 gti will keep up they weigh nothing and are quick so dont be so surprised lol

small car lot of power to weight ratio....

i

tbh a 1.9gti won't be that much different on the move to yours due to them being so effing light, especially the runout 130bhp model.

i would have thought that if it had an Mi16 in it it would beat you quite easily, surprising old cars these :thumbup:

As you say could have been a 16v transplant.

Even the standard 1.6 and 1.9s can do 0-60 in 7-8 seconds because they're so light.

Mate of mine used to have a stripped out turbocharged 1.9, that made about 190bhp and weighed about as much as a bag of nuts :eek:

Hi guys/gals

Had a bit of a play with a Pug 205 Gti today on a clear private road ;), fair play from 80-120 ish he stuck right with me then i slowed and let him past.

Was thinking it must of had an mi16 or Gti6 engine transplant, he didnt have enough to overtake but i didnt pull away from him at all, totally standard looking too.

Thoughts please :)

I'd have said a 1.6 GTI, a DTurbo or some of the normal non-GTI models with larger engines could have kept up with you.

DTurbo was 90bhp, but probably weighs half a fabia.

1.6 should keep up without an issue.

I've driven a 1.9 GTI (130bhp ish version) and and seen them against fast cars and as long as the driver doesn't lift off mid corner then I would say that even standard that should absolutely muller a standard fabia VRS. That plus they handle well too ;)

Putting a GTI6 engine (From a 306) into a 205 isn't great anyway and the stnadard engine can be very well tuned as can an Mi16.

Maybe it was one of the 200 odd 205 T16's. 200BHP and weight of a fag packet.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

For some reason I thought fabia.

Octy VRS -->180bhp /1350kg = 133bhp/Tonne

1.9GTI --> 130bhp/850kg = 152bhp/Tonne

1.6GTI --> 105bhp/850kg = 123bhp/Tonne.

1.6GTI with modern head (later models) --> 115bhp/850KG = 135bhp/Tonne

DT --> 90bhp/850kg = 106bhp/tonne

I still think if your car was standard it was a 1.6GTI.

EDIT: Update to correct weight on Octy.

My old 1.9 would destroy my vRS hands down, well upto about 110 mph. Hit the limit in top gear about then, but bloody hell did it get there in a hurry. As has already been pointed out, they corner well too, again this is helped by the empty fag packet weight.

My brother owned a 1.3 Fiat Uno Turbo which was frightening, it saw off quite a few pugs in its time over short distance, but towards the top end would fade off badly

Crazy mad Italian Shoebox.........

My 309 GTI was similar. It would have beaten my modded Octy vRS hands down to about 80-100mph & run out of steam. My 309 was running about 160bhp on the 1.9 8v lump, but It had a sports cam & twin 45 dellorto carbs fitted & had a lot of torque:D It was Ideal for hill climbing & handled much better than my Octy will ever do.

one of the members of jem-uk.com has a striped out 1.9gti. my otavia and frends leon compleatly lash it!

neather the 1.6 or 1.9 can not match an octavia. i would have to have been modifide

if its not a larger engin with more valves, it could of bean a 2.0l franckenstin made from a 2.0l and the modifide gti injection system. but that still carnt keep up.

one of the members of jem-uk.com has a striped out 1.9gti. my otavia and frends leon compleatly lash it!

neather the 1.6 or 1.9 can not match an octavia. i would have to have been modified

if its not a larger engin with more valves, it could of bean a 2.0l franckenstin made from a 2.0l and the modifide gti injection system. but that still carnt keep up.

Totally agree, even though yours is remapped, in gear power at high speed the standard 1.9 gti will not keep with a standard octy vrs as i have driven both in standard form, hence why i was wondering what was under the bonnet.

I would imagine it would have been a 1.9. I had a 1.9 309gti with Kent Cams and piggy back ecu and that thing used to shift upto 110mph ish then would slow down, and it would easily out handle a vrs

My brother owned a 1.3 Fiat Uno Turbo which was frightening, it saw off quite a few pugs in its time over short distance, but towards the top end would fade off badly

Crazy mad Italian Shoebox.........

I used to have one of these!! Ironically enough I also used to have a 205, but a 950cc version. It handled fantastic though. Can't say the same for the Uno... Unfortunately a taxi driver managed to ram into it and the boot was made from fibre glass, and so it literally exploded.

I'm running a 205 gti with a mi16 conversion- which gives around 200bhp/tonne.

Managed to pull 6 seconds with a g-tech with old tyres in the damp, they are certainly quick.

I think every car nut should own one of these at some point in their lifes. I've had some great fun in it and surprised alot of cars, for example an e46 M3 is around the same bhp/tonne. Sure past 100mph I'd imagine the m3 would pull away, but i've had a couple plays 30-90mph and there was nothing in it. Not sure the guy with his girlfriend was too impressed that his shiney BMW couldn't outrun a 17 year old french hatch back ;)

Edited by fordfan
Unauthorised advertising removed

Sorry all the people posting that a VRS will murder a 205 are ignoring basic physics here.

More bhp per tonne and better handling means a standard VRS won't leave the 205 etc until they run out of legs due to gearing.

Sure the VRS might have a higher top speed due to gearing etc, but they weigh more. In the real world on most of the non motorway roads in this country the 205 will see a VRS shaped object in it's rear view mirror as it can handle unlike the MK I VRS on standard suspension.

The 205 and the MKI/MKII VW Golf GTI were the hot hatches of the day.

VRS official 0-60 = 7.9 seconds

Golf MKI 0-60 = 8.2 seconds

Golf MKII 0-60 = 7.9 seconds

Golf II Limited 0-60 = 7.2 seconds

205 1.6 GTI = 8.9 seconds

205 1.9 GTI = 7.6 seconds

You'll notice the differences are hardly in the leave it for dead range.

Good reading this. I no longer feel so bad about the 205 gti that to be quite honest took me like a king a few month back. And that was uphill too.

Back in my younger days I used to have a 205 with a MI16 engine conversion, I'll see if I can dig out the pics but that was truly an absolute bonkers car.

The weight of a fag packet with 160 horses shoe horned into the front ment it suprised many a car and bike for that matter-not to say I ever beat a bike cos it could never happen but it certainly earnt many a nod in respect. I went for the old keep it standard looking and make it quick, just the roll cage gave it away! It had the 1.9 8v box so it reved like a maniac and was limied to 8k pulling all the way to it, doing 70 you could drop it into 3rd and floor it and it pulled with more fury than you could imagine throwing your head back-never have I known a car like it!. It was built by mikeanics in congleton, if you know his work-he's very good!

I've currently got an octy 1 jabba tuned and on a full a-b trip the 205 would have killed it with it's handling and instant power though the whole rev range, because of the torque of the engine you didn't always need to use the brake just lift off and it pulled you forwards, pas the bend then power on again and get punched in the back...much fun.

You should never be ashamed If your caught in that situation as you know a tuned octy vrs is a 'quick' car and on the right roads with the right driver you need to have something quite impressive to make you look stupid, so then you just have to accept that someone has got something pretty cool and cheeky enough to make you smile and say 'fook me that's quick!'. In my eyes that's all part of the fun

My 309gti:thumbup:.

It shamed alot & sounded gorgeous with the twin45 carbs bolted on.

I think after having the pleasure of driving both the 309gti (1.9) & 205gti (1.9), that the 309 handled better out of the two as the longer wheel base didn't have the twitchyness I found from the 205.

One regret was not fitting the MI16 engine:rotz:

Pauls20Car200041.jpg

Pauls20Car200011.jpg

Pauls20Car200021.jpg