boost gauge fabia vrs help needed please.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...4072009772.jpg

i brought this 2nd hand, not sure how to fit it.

managed to it to come alive by connecting 2 of the 3 wires to a live and earth, power came on and needle did a sort of start up , went from 0 to 2.0 the to -1 the stopped on 0

in the photo there is a copper valve, does this have to take a tube to the engine bay then be T ' d in somewere ? ? ? seen loads of video's etc but need to know what sort this is and how best to get it working properly.

thanks in advance.

you need to tap into your upper boost pipe or drill the manifold. Similarily if you buy an EGR bypass pipe you can get a boost take off nipple on there. You'll also need a little plastic regulator valve (from an aquatics shop) to reduce some of the air flow else the needle will be buzzing like mad.

John

Got a auto gauge boost gauge from halfords.

got it all wired up and managed to get the air tube to the engine, it came with a T piece so its not really suitable for the hard plastic on the left, could someone please tell me which thin pipe runs boost through it and were best to put the T piece..

thanks a lot for any replies.

ill post some pictures as soon as its done.

Got a auto gauge boost gauge from halfords.

got it all wired up and managed to get the air tube to the engine, it came with a T piece so its not really suitable for the hard plastic on the left, could someone please tell me which thin pipe runs boost through it and were best to put the T piece..

thanks a lot for any replies.

ill post some pictures as soon as its done.

You will have to tap into the boost pipe and use a nipple type thing, I cant think of its propper name, the black plasic pipe would be best IMO

few photo's -

25072009774.jpg

25072009775.jpg

25072009776.jpg

25072009777.jpg

25072009778.jpg

was a T piece i used but only needed one end so super glued and used some plumbers taped a screw in one end, very air tught. end that went into boost pipe was plumb taped in very tight. so cant see why gauge not moved ?

Super glue blocked the T piece ?

Take the pipe off the T piece to make sure there is air coming out of it, dumb question but you have connected the pipe to the gauge and been for a drive yeah ?

Top pikey marks but should work all the same. If you pull the tube off the boost gauge can you feel air blowing? If not you've got a block somewhere, probably where you've glued the T piece in to the boost pipe. Did you fit a regulator valve to reduce the air flow? If so make sure you've got this open i.e. not totally closed. Lastly what bar / psi is your gauge, I initially bought a 20psi gauge but it's no good as diesels run higher boost, Furby is around 2.5 bar minimum - roughly about 15psi per bar. You wont have any negative boost either. Only gauge I could find without negative values on it was a VDO one.

Good luck in getting it sorted.

John

got it all sorted, T'd into the pipe and get power to the gauge(auto gauge 7 colour) but gauge does nt move

when i rev it? not drove it yet so is that why?

nope mine does not move when you just rev it.

As for popping off mine had come of so many times that now I've just given up on it. So it may look pikey but atleast it wont come off lol

I just screwed a tapered hosetail into my pipe with some PFTE tape wrapped around the thread to prevent leaks, then run a very thin bead of black silicon around it.

I suppose you could put a washer in there to tidy it up a bit, but it works for me.

aug005.jpg

that looks like a better idea. i can get all the parts for this mod from work :P

just need the holder, not sure i'll bother though as i like my air con blowing freezing air on me from all angles.

I'll have to pull out the Haynes and have a look at the wiring diagrams, I just thought given I've threaded the gauge up by the fuse box - there would be a mountain of wires knocking around this area without me having to remove the stereo as I dont have the tool to lift it out. I'm sure I'll figure it out, just wait for my thread on Saturday evening "none of my lights work...help" :rofl:

John

got rid of the blue tape etc. got a male hose nipple from work, screwed it in and then attahced hose and used a piece of black gaffer tape to make it secure, not fell off yet.

30072009780.jpg

30072009783.jpg

30072009785.jpg

hope its not so pikey now lol... just hope is stays on , getting readings 1.5 - 1.8 so hopefully no leaks , not sure what it should be , totally standard engine and exhaust system. hopefully pd 160 air filter pipe and re-map to take it to 170bhp hopefully at xmas time.

I'll have to pull out the Haynes and have a look at the wiring diagrams, I just thought given I've threaded the gauge up by the fuse box - there would be a mountain of wires knocking around this area without me having to remove the stereo as I dont have the tool to lift it out. I'm sure I'll figure it out, just wait for my thread on Saturday evening "none of my lights work...help" :rofl:

John

I have the same Autogauge, plumbed mine into the boost pipe by cutting the supplied t-piece at the base and drilling the boost pipe. Pushed the nipple that i had cut from the t-piece through the boost pipe from the inside, made sure it was a tight fit and then epoxied the little ******* in. Works a treat, wired it up to the stereo loom by pulling out the cubby hole and scotch clipping the wires in. Looks quite neat underneath the centre console too :)

I just screwed a tapered hosetail into my pipe with some PFTE tape wrapped around the thread to prevent leaks, then run a very thin bead of black silicon around it.

I suppose you could put a washer in there to tidy it up a bit, but it works for me.

aug005.jpg

This is how i done mine in fact i used exactly the same nipple bit as ordered from the same place and it rearly works well :)

ProEvo, does your gauge dim with instrument lighting? Did you remove the fuse box fascia and connect it up there?

Thanks, John

no it does nt dim when lights on, not sure if it wired proper as it all works and can change the 7 colours it has, but always goes back to 1st colour(white) when key taken out and put back in and switched on.

not to bothered but would like to only work when i put lights on and have memory of colour i last used, im after a pillar pod gauge holder(just the holder) if anyone has one, will swap for normal gauge holder with an 60mm electric gauge fitted inside.

PM me and we ll meet up. or ill buy it if its cheap.

Edited by proevofan