Leather settees. Yes or no?

pixi

As per the title. I like comfort aswell as something looking nice. My main concerns are,

Are they too cold to snuggle up on?

Is it a really bad idea to have leather when you have a dog that will sneak up on the settee when you leave the room?!

Thanking you.

Are they too cold to snuggle up on?

No

Is it a really bad idea to have leather when you have a dog that will sneak up on the settee when you leave the room?!

Maybe. Guess it depends on the breed and what its claws are like. Also, different leather finishes will be more or less resistant to scratching.

Polls are great, but I'm hoping for a rationale with the opinion.

I should qualify my "not cold" comment above by saying that I assumed you don't live in a fridge

HTH

Andy

OK, my rationale being that they're not as comfy and welcoming as a sofa finished in fabric :)

Yes, but you can't blame fabric sofas for rude noises, if you get my drift (which hopefully you won't from that distance - pardon me) :P

I have a leather sofa, and i love it. Comfortable, easy to clean, looks nice.

Only issue is it needs leather moisturiser every month or two. Wish i could buy the stuff in bulk, as with a 3 seater, a 2 seater, a large chair, and a footrest all in leather, i go through cleaner stuff very quickly :rofl:

leather. I have two dogs and a cat; they all sneak on the sofa when we go out (and jump off when they hear the car pull up outside).

So far, had no issues with scratch marks, the leather is the same temperature as the rest of the room so it's never cold; and I've wiped up so many tea/coffee/beer etc spills the leather has paid for itself in the 8 months we've had it...

I have a leather sofa, and i love it. Comfortable, easy to clean, looks nice.

Only issue is it needs leather moisturiser every month or two. Wish i could buy the stuff in bulk, as with a 3 seater, a 2 seater, a large chair, and a footrest all in leather, i go through cleaner stuff very quickly :rofl:

We have a leather Suite, it's our first one and it's 3 years old and still looks like new so a thumbs up from here.

The reason for quoting the post ....... for the last 3 years I have been using car stuff to treat, clean and condition the leather, Poorboys leather stuff, it goes a long way and has had no adverse effects. I use it on my bike leathers as well and they are virtually unmarked after sliding down the track at 50 mph on my bum.

The only minor negative though is that they do need to be "fed" every 3 months or so to keep them soft and supple, but with having 7 year old twins they are great, all the kid muck and juice spillages just wipe away.

Maybe train the hound to hop on a blanket that's put on the suite?

Maybe train the hound to hop on a blanket that's put on the suite?

We keep a cushion on our leather sofa that the cat sits on.

Claws are bad news, but otherwise leather is fantastic. Ours is probably 9 years old now and still looks good.

Just the dog hair situation alone will change my life if I do swap to leather! I swear that's what's killing me hoover, aswell as being a pain putting all the covers in the washing machine all the time. My fault for having a white one I suppose. :rolleyes:

I'm looking at getting a corner chaise one, so I guess the maintenance will still take some time. I was going to bid on one on ebay that looked perfect the other night, but it went up to £650 before I even went to bid :eek:

We've had a leather suite and exta chairs for nearly 20 years and they still look new. :cool:

The main thing is to avoid buying 'cheap' ie from certain large warehouses. The leather is paper thin and is very easily torn. Also some of the 'cheap' hides haven't been treated properly and you get the horrendous pong of dead cow - or worse - after a year or so (at most!). Another drawback of the 'cheap' models is that the dye fades very quickly and you are left with something like a rainbow with cushions.

Yes, they can feel cold initially but they soon warm up :thumbup:

Edited by westerdam2
Additional words of wisdom

We have had a leather sofa for the last 15 years and dogs throughout that time.

In answer to your question I would say leather can be as comfy as fabric, depending on where it is then it will feel hotter or colder than fabric,( like leather car seats do). The dogs have never marked our sofa, however we do tend to have a fabric thow over it atm due to daughters springer spaniel being a mucky git and swmbo not being arsed to clean the leather every week :)

Wipe clean though. :thumbup: [no further comments...]

was thinking just that! i had a cream leather sofa and loved it, they may be a lil cold but like people have said it depends on the room temperature. i went through a slight phase of insomnia and found my leather sofa easier to sleep on than my bed. yes, i am strange!