What Dog to buy?

Addis

Hi all

me and SWMBO will be moving into our own house shortly and we both want to get a dog. i really want a boxer but despite searching on the net i still don't know alot about them. does anyone else have a boxer? or would recommend a dog to a young couple?

SWMBO has had dogs in her household all her life but i'm somewhat new to it. she has narrowed it down to a chihauha or a sauage dog :thumbdwn:

can you imagine the stick i'd get?!?!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My cousin has a boxer - very boisterous, so might not be the best dog to get if you're planning on starting a family anytime soon. Then again, some friends of ours have a Staffy and a German Shepherd-cross, and neither of them are any bother around their baby - just depends how diligent you are with training, I suppose. :ne_nau:

About the only thing I know about chihuahuas and dachshunds is that they suffer health problems (as many pedigree dogs do)

Boxers are lovely dogs, but inclined to be manic, and need a lot of attention and exercise. They can do an awful lot of damage if bored (I speak from experience)

It depends on your lifestyle and what you like, really.

Border collies are incredibly clever but need a lot to do.

German shepherds are similar but worse

Labradors and retrievers are the most laid back and easy going, with Greyhounds (really!) a close second.

We have a Tibetan Terrier. She's the gentlest, most loving dog you could find -once she knows you, you can do anything with her. On the downside, she's as stubborn as a mule and will bark if someone 3 streets away farts in bed. It's because her breed are originally watchdogs.

In short, think about what you want, research the breed you fancy for good and bad characteristics and try and meet examples of the breed before you decide. Go to a good breeder, and meet the family if you get a puppy. This is a long term relationship, and if you're not 100% certain don't get one.

Phil

My cousin has a boxer - very boisterous, so might not be the best dog to get if you're planning on starting a family anytime soon. Then again, some friends of ours have a Staffy and a German Shepherd-cross, and neither of them are any bother around their baby - just depends how diligent you are with training, I suppose. :ne_nau:

About the only thing I know about chihuahuas and dachshunds is that they suffer health problems (as many pedigree dogs do)

Boxers are lovely dogs, but inclined to be manic, and need a lot of attention and exercise. They can do an awful lot of damage if bored (I speak from experience)

It depends on your lifestyle and what you like, really.

Border collies are incredibly clever but need a lot to do.

German shepherds are similar but worse

Labradors and retrievers are the most laid back and easy going, with Greyhounds (really!) a close second.

We have a Tibetan Terrier. She's the gentlest, most loving dog you could find -once she knows you, you can do anything with her. On the downside, she's as stubborn as a mule and will bark if someone 3 streets away farts in bed. It's because her breed are originally watchdogs.

In short, think about what you want, research the breed you fancy for good and bad characteristics and try and meet examples of the breed before you decide. Go to a good breeder, and meet the family if you get a puppy. This is a long term relationship, and if you're not 100% certain don't get one.

Phil

thanks guys! hmm yeh maybe a boxer isnt the best idea then. Those Tibetan Terriers look brilliant! i might do a bit more digging into them. tbh that is the size i was thinking, rather than a little yappy thing.

where would i find breeders? just on the internet? how do i know if they're legit?

Tibetan Terriers? I had no idea about these until I met a lady who had one at the same agility course that I attended with my Border Collie, Zuki.

Must say, I thought the TT was a great dog! Good natured, obedient and very good at the agility stuff.......not as good as my Border Collie:P, but good nonetheless.

Highly recommended, as are BC's, however the TT is probably a far easier dog to own.

Good Luck:thumbup:

If you like the size of a boxer I would suggest a poodle -the big one, not toy/miniature. My sister is on her second poodle bitch: very friendly, not boisterous, clever/intelligent (can be trained guide dogs) and don't leave hair everywhere which is a good thing and even means that allergics may tolerate them.

thanks guys! hmm yeh maybe a boxer isnt the best idea then. Those Tibetan Terriers look brilliant! i might do a bit more digging into them. tbh that is the size i was thinking, rather than a little yappy thing.

where would i find breeders? just on the internet? how do i know if they're legit?

Tibetan Terrier Association

Or make sure they're Kennel Club members.

If you like the TT, just bear in mind what I said about how stubborn they are. It makes them quite hard to train. They're a very long lived dog and often last 15 years, which means they grow up slowly. This means they don't grow up until they're around 2 years old

A friend of ours (where we got ours from) just sold his 5 pups, or I could have pointed you his way!

Phil

Staffy all the way:) OK im biased!! But there are lots of ones here Northern SBT Rescue that need a new mummy and daddy:)

As said above boxers are a handful and can drive you insane in no time!!....We had two!!..Hard work!! Whatever you get think of it from a dogs point of view and not an owners point of view. Some dogs do better in certain enviroments and some dont, some are prone to disease and health problems. Whatever you do be repsonsible and enjoy the life and times of having a dog in your life:) Staffy Staffy Staffy :)

<<<<<< i mean just look at her wee face!!:)

K:)

There is only one breed of dog that fits the bill in this instance:

29923.attach

And they can sometimes look like this …

29925.attach

… or this …

29926.attach

… but only if they have a serious genetic disorder :eek:

Seriously though, whippets have a lovely temperament, loyal, well-behaved, intelligent, and bloody quick :rofl:

thanks guys, i think that whippets awesome (not the ugly ones) i may look into them aswell.

going to a dogs home sounds like a good idea. i just spoke to SWMBO and i think we'll have a look (not get) on saturday so i'll let you know.

Hi all

me and SWMBO will be moving into our own house shortly and we both want to get a dog. i really want a boxer but despite searching on the net i still don't know alot about them. does anyone else have a boxer? or would recommend a dog to a young couple?

SWMBO has had dogs in her household all her life but i'm somewhat new to it. she has narrowed it down to a chihauha or a sauage dog :thumbdwn:

can you imagine the stick i'd get?!?!

Don't buy one get one from a home or a recognised rescue centre RSPCA/PDSA/Dogs Trust etc...

I have a Retriever and an American Cocker , both great dogs. you can see by the picture that they dont really get phased by little people.

29928.attach

29929.attach

29930.attach

Oh and DO NOT BUY ONE, take a dog that needs a good home.

our greman shepherd was amazing with the kids, the rottie we have now is daft as a brush as well.

seriously look at greyhound rescue , we were at a show with them last sat. brilliant day.

reading that thred was like readin one i would write! im in exactly the same situation and wanted a boxer, but now we have settled on a bull dog bit pricey though

thanks guys, i think that whippets awesome (not the ugly ones) i may look into them aswell.

going to a dogs home sounds like a good idea. i just spoke to SWMBO and i think we'll have a look (not get) on saturday so i'll let you know.

:really: A well trodden path,'just have a look' can quickly turn into 'awwwwwwww look at his

big brown eyes' etc, best get some dog food in just in case;):rofl:

We had a German Shepherd years ago, we got a second one as company for her,

then someone told us if you've got two you might as well have three as losing one of

two would leave a very lonely one, and you'll hardly know the difference between 2 & 3:rolleyes:

So that's my recomendation, get three German Shepherds:thumbup:

Also, yes, don't be put off by rescue dogs, our Shepherd that outlived all the others

was a rescue dog:)

You could try looking on here Find puppies in U.K. for free, Find a breeder, Sell puppies for free

We found our dog(miniature Yorkshire Terrier the best dog i have ever had) on here really good site.

I am a member of the site and if you see something on there and the ad is within 5days old pm me and i will lend you my log on details so you can view the full ad.

Chris