The Octavia Bass Tip Is Great - Thanks !

Thanks for the tip listed in the FAQ below (and someone else for mentioning it yesterday - stopan1j?)) on improving the bass by spending absolutely nothing !

I'd already replaced the front speakers with Infinty's but the sound still distorted so I just thought it was down to the head-unit being poor.

Its amazing what you can do with a screwdriver and a Stanley knife - the sound quality and depth (due to better resistance to distortion ?) is at least 50% better.

I also tried unplugging the rear tweeters as suggested but am too busy turning the bass up to notice now !

Good one !:cheers:

http://briskoda.net/forums/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=5#3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not guiltty M'lord - you wont catch me cutting the membrane - find my system quite adequate - must be an age thing - but agree that I have heard good sound in quite basic cars - the last 2 Fiat Puntos I hired seemed really good if I remember.

John

I had the front Bass unit ( HA HA ) out of my vRS the other day to see whats involved in this mod, but all there was behind the speaker was a foam cup.. Can this be removed easily???

I don't really want to take this foam out if it will damage the membrane. Advice will be most helpfull..

Cheers

Dazz

Foam cup? Is this like the "carpet pudding" over the rear speakers?

I'd advise getting rid of these, but I don't know if the door ones are attached

to the membrane as mine didn't have them!

Rob.

Its a foam backing moulded to the shape of the speaker....

It might be an new thing in the Octavia...

Speaker location in the rear is crap anyway....

And I'm thinking about installing a Alpine

Component setup... but how to get at the front door tweeter

is anybody's guess......

Cheers

Dazz

Think it might just be an vRS thing!

The speaker location in the back is good if you like to get the full effect but don't want

your parcel shelf in ;)

Front door tweeter is pretty easy to get at I think, though I've never done it. Just a question

of gently levering off the plastic cover with a screwdriver...

Rob.

Had mine replaced with a Sony component set, the tweeter does just prise off, do it gently though I broke one of the clips. Big sound improvement with the standard HU. Then I replaced that with a blaupunkt. Wow what a difference, now all I need to sort out is the vibrating internal door trim.

So anyone have this Foam stuff then???

Also is it possible to fit a new tweeter in the door and run the cabling down with removing the door panel..??

Cheers

Dazz

It did cross my mind that the speaker cabling could do with being upgraded.

However, for the most part this will require removing lots of carpet and trim,

as you'd have to essentially reloom it.

So yes, you probably could do it without removing the door trim, but it'll probably

be harder in the long run! Also, your recabling wouldn't stop there...

Ian might be a good person to advise on this, as I seem to recall him mentioning

putting some "extra cables" in his in preparation... :D

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think there were any pctures even from the Vortex days.

Anyway, if you were to remove the inner door panel you would see a plastic lining covering the door effectively sealing the window mechanism.

When you remove the front speaker (and foam cup thingy) put your hand in the hole (ooh err) where the speaker was; you should feel the plastic lining.

What you ned to do is cut a flap using the hole as a template; the flap should be like opening a tin can with tin opener. It should be still attached at the top.

I think the reason for this was to give the speaker some damp prtection (:confused: ). You can of course just cut a hole.

By cutting the linig you open out a great space for air to move and hence better sound.

I'm sure there's a more techincal description but I think you'll get the drift.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Adrian.

Originally posted by SkodiRS in this post

When you remove the front speaker (and foam cup thingy) put your hand in the hole (ooh err) where the speaker was; you should feel the plastic lining.

So I presume I'm supposed to leave the foam cup thingy out when I put the whole lot back together ?

What you ned to do is cut a flap using the hole as a template; the flap should be like opening a tin can with tin opener. It should be still attached at the top.

By cutting the linig you open out a great space for air to move and hence better sound.

Adrian.

I live in Central America and here rain a lot. Is this can be a problem??? Can the speaker get wet????:confused: Or can water come inside the car?:eek:

In Manchester, it rains a lot too...in fact, it's raining right now... :(

Anyway, my covers both have holes in them for the speaker cable to go through (and

this was done by Skoda!), so I'm wondering if the plastic really does anything...

Rob.

I removed the foam cup thingies today and guess what ? :confused:

There was no plastic membrane behind them ! :eek:

And one of them was a little wet ? :(

It has been pretty rainy recently and I use a pressure washer to hose the car when washing it - hope the lack of membrane doesn't cause me any problems. :rolleyes:

But the bass is bangin' ! :D