Few questions about VRS'

Ahh.

I take it, the ESP would be better?

Jamie

ESP is much better.

If you have ESP then ASR and EDL is part of the system as well. The extra part of the system deals with cornering.

What it does is apply the brakes through the ABS system on one side of the car (I think it only works on the front wheels on a fabia, but I may be wrong) in a turn if it detects the car is not turning as much as the steering effort going in (understeer - front wheels sliding and car ploughing on instread of steering) or is turning too much (oversteer - back end sliding out), and sort of pulls the car around the corner or pushes it back to the turn.

It is a very weird feeling when it kicks in, and can be a life saver. I came across an enormous diesel spill on a motorway roundabout in an Octavia 2.0 TDi elegance with it fitted and it stopped me from ditching it (only just), as it helps the driver's corrections to over and understeer, and reacts far faster than a human can.

It is NOT a replacment for driving skills though, as it is still possible to lose all grip.

Whereas ASR is just a traction control, to stop wheelspin, by reducing the engine power when both drive wheels lose traction. The EDL is not a differential lock at all, it uses the ABS system to apply the brake to the spinning wheel one one wheel spins only. You cannot turn off the EDL, it is on all the time, unless it detects that the brake is overheating, and then it switches off until the brake cools.

I hope that helps:thumbup:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESP is much better.

What it does is apply the brakes through the ABS system on one side of the car (I think it only works on the front wheels on a fabia, but I may be wrong) in a turn if it detects the car is not turning as much as the steering effort going in (understeer - front wheels and car ploughing on instread of steering) or is turning too much (oversteer - back end sliding out), and sort of pulls the car around the corner or pushes it back to the turn.

It is a very weird feeling when it kicks in, and can be a life saver. I came across an enormous diesel spill on a motorway roundabout in an Octavia 2.0 TDi elegance with it fitted and it stopped me from ditching it (only just), as it helps the driver's corrections to over and understeer, and reacts far faster than a human can.

It is NOT a replacment for driving skills though, as it is still possible to lose all grip.

Whereas ASR is just a traction control, to stop wheelspin, by reducing the engine power when both drive wheels lose traction. The EDL is not a differential lock at all, it uses the ABS system to apply the brake to the spinning wheel one one wheel spins only. You cannot turn off the EDL, it is on all the time, unless it detects that the brake is overheating, and then it switches off until the brake cools.

Ahhh i see, thank you! So its pratically, a way of controlling the car..

Where as ASR just controls the wheel traction.

So if u get ESP as an option, u get ASR as a "sub component"

Confusing stuff, least to me =P

Jamie

ESP is much better.

If you have ESP then ASR and EDL is part of the system as well. The extra part of the system deals with cornering.

What it does is apply the brakes through the ABS system on one side of the car (I think it only works on the front wheels on a fabia, but I may be wrong) in a turn if it detects the car is not turning as much as the steering effort going in (understeer - front wheels and car ploughing on instread of steering) or is turning too much (oversteer - back end sliding out), and sort of pulls the car around the corner or pushes it back to the turn.

Doesn't traction control including the VRS's ASR just apply the ABS when sensing wheel spin? Doesn't actually cut engine power, just brakes one wheel so sending more drive to the other...

Doesn't traction control including the VRS's ASR just apply the ABS when sensing wheel spin? Doesn't actually cut engine power, just brakes one wheel so sending more drive to the other...

No that is the EDL, and will only apply it to one wheel, as in those circumstances you still want power to go to the wheel that has traction, and the easy way to do that is fool the diff into evening the power distribution between the wheels rather than feed it to the loose wheel (helpful in corners as one wheel is travelling faster than the other).

If both wheels are losing traction then applying the brakes is just going to get the brakes very hot very quickly, so an easier solution is to reduce the power.

Hope that helps:thumbup:

How does ESP® work?

ESP® is always active. A microcomputer monitors the signals from the ESP® sensors and checks 25 times a second, whether the driver's steering input corresponds to the actual direction in which the vehicle is moving. If the vehicle moves in a different direction ESP® detects the critical situation and reacts immediately – independently of the driver. It uses the vehicle's braking system to "steer" the vehicle back on track. With these selective braking interventions ESP® generates the desired counteracting force, so that the car reacts as the driver intends. ESP® not only initiates braking intervention, but can also intervene on the engine side to accelerate the driven wheels. So, within the limits of physics, the car is kept safely on the desired track.

HTH:thumbup:

For the record, I've got it!

Ordered it with the car in the hope i NEVER need it:thumbup:

How does ESP® work?

HTH:thumbup:

For the record, I've got it!

Ordered it with the car in the hope i NEVER need it:thumbup:

Well you learn something new everyday, I didn't realise that it would also add more power to the driven wheels to try and counteract an oversteer. Just what you would do on a track on a front wheel drive car!

ESP can be turned down with the dash button too, But will still intervene if it all goes mammaries skywards

The ASR component of ESP isnt as abrupt in it's operation compared with a car without ESP. If that makes any sense!

ESP can be turned down with the dash button too, But will still intervene if it all goes mammaries skywards

The ASR component of ESP isnt as abrupt in it's operation compared with a car without ESP. If that makes any sense!

So, it just turns the "sensitivity" down?

Wow, im suprised people have put up with my dumbness :thumbup:

How's the car search going Jamie? Any contenders yet? show us the ads. and someone on Briskoda may the know the history of the car, could be helpful in avoiding a pup.

How's the car search going Jamie? Any contenders yet? show us the ads. and someone on Briskoda may the know the history of the car, could be helpful in avoiding a pup.

Hey mate

I haven't started lookign yet, as I havent deffo got the money, but when I do, ill defoo look for help

Thank you :)

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

Heya again guys

Right, instead of making a new thread to ask these questions I thought I'd just add to this thread.

I was going through reviews of the VRS, and stumbled across this:

2670582925-driving-skoda-fabia-vrs.jpg?x=450&y=419&q=80&sig=1bSLTnoAA3cYHS8PPfYl4Q--

Now, is that CD player/Satnav/whatever it is, standard? Or is it an option? I've looked at a fair number of VRS', and haven't seen that in any of them.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Jamie