Advice required...

Now the hunt begins as the dealer I visited today only had one and wouldnt budge on price!.

It's probably still a sellers market right now and may stay that way until the scrappage scheme peters out through lack of qualifying trade-ins. If you're in a hurry to order rather than buy, the dealers have month-end targets to meet, so more likely to haggle then.

IIRC in normal trading the best time is the month before the plate changes, assuming you don't 'need' the latest plate.

Looking at the brochure for the Facelift Octavia, the figures for the capacity of the load area are-

Hatch Rear seat up 585 ltrs Rear seat down 1455 ltrs

Estate Rear seat up 605 ltrs Rear seat down 1655 ltrs

So for £850 extra you only gain 200 litres in the estate

I was thinking of the estate but went for the hatch partly on price but also my dealer made an interesting observation, they probably sell more Octavis estates but not on the VRS. He said customers for this type of car are more concerned with looks and as such when it comes to selling seconhand ones there is not much difference in prices.

If you look at Autotrader there are twice as many VRS hatches for sale as estates

Looking at the brochure for the Facelift Octavia, the figures for the capacity of the load area are-

Hatch Rear seat up 585 ltrs Rear seat down 1455 ltrs

Estate Rear seat up 605 ltrs Rear seat down 1655 ltrs

So for £850 extra you only gain 200 litres in the estate

I was thinking of the estate but went for the hatch partly on price but also my dealer made an interesting observation, they probably sell more Octavis estates but not on the VRS. He said customers for this type of car are more concerned with looks and as such when it comes to selling seconhand ones there is not much difference in prices.

If you look at Autotrader there are twice as many VRS hatches for sale as estates

Agreed there are twice as many but they are still relatively scarce and 'should' retain there value well. I think actually, I love my cars to much to venture to estate:D

Sorry to the mods for mentioning my car for sale, just read the rules there:O

It's probably still a sellers market right now and may stay that way until the scrappage scheme peters out through lack of qualifying trade-ins. If you're in a hurry to order rather than buy, the dealers have month-end targets to meet, so more likely to haggle then.

IIRC in normal trading the best time is the month before the plate changes, assuming you don't 'need' the latest plate.

Looking for 07, 57ish onwards but not new. :) As low mileage as possible

Sorry if I'm repeating other posts, I haven't had time to read through properly, but here's my 2 pennies worth anyway -

I have 2 boys, 5 & 2 and a 7 year old beagle and of cousre the mighty swmbo, when we visit the in-laws the tribe makes the trek including 2 sets of golf clubs and generally swmbo's shopping goodies for the reurn trip, the octy estate eats it all up, although the hatch has the same floor plan the volume is greater.....not forgetting the estate looks better, IMHO. :D

one thing I will mention that no one else has - rear visibility out of the vRS estate is MUCH better than from the vRS Hatch. Try them both out and you'll see what I mean.;)

Have to admit you're right there.

• 2 weeks later...

Now considering a Mazda 6 2.2d Sport 183ps.....Mmmm cant make up my mind. I really like the vrs but the missus isnt sold on it. So also considering the DIVORCE option! Seriously the Mazda 6 is really nice and has quite a few more gadgets with it to. + currently drive a white Mazda 3 2.0d Sport and its really nice, although the private sale markets soooo slow the now! Giving it a bit longer before I take a hit at the stealers.

Any thoughts people???

I have the hatchback, and I have 3 kids, take a pram everywhere and still room in the boot for shopping etc.

Plenty big enough IMHO

Absolutely no need for an estate, unless you really want one

Cheers

Damo

The estate is only 20 litres larger than the hatchback.

I ran a Octy II hatch for 4 years and never wished for the estate. The only real advantage of the estate (in Elegance spec) is the flat loading bay enabling heavy/bulky objects to be slid into the boot more easily than overcoming the step in the hatch and lower spec estate versions. I believe there is an optional false floor which retro fits into all Octavias. The apce underneath can be used for hiding valuables and such like.

A downside of the hatch and estate versions is the fact the rear seat backs merely tilt fowards, rather than the seat base hinging forwards to create a flat loading area.

The boot shape of both hatch and estate is very practical and makes it easy to accommodate suitcases, prams etc.

Some folks prefer the look of the estate, however, personally, I preferred the hatch.

Now considering a Mazda 6 2.2d Sport 183ps.....Mmmm cant make up my mind. I really like the vrs but the missus isnt sold on it. So also considering the DIVORCE option! Seriously the Mazda 6 is really nice and has quite a few more gadgets with it to. + currently drive a white Mazda 3 2.0d Sport and its really nice, although the private sale markets soooo slow the now! Giving it a bit longer before I take a hit at the stealers.

Any thoughts people???

My final choice also came down to the 2.2d 183ps 6 or the CR vRS DSG. After I added the options I wanted to the vRS (Xenons, heated seats, Lights assist, rear parking sensors, bluetooth), there was no real difference in spec (just folding mirrors I think on the Mazda). I went for the vRS because (1) I could find a better deal (2) I think the vRS has a more classical style about it - I think the Mazda was very trendy but could easily lose it's appeal with me quite quickly. Just my opinion though. :-)

A downside of the hatch and estate versions is the fact the rear seat backs merely tilt fowards' date=' rather than the seat base hinging forwards to create a flat loading area.

[/quote']

Umm, my rear seat squabs lift up and forwards, out the way, to allow the seat backs to sit pretty flat.......

Re. the original question. The Octavia and the 6 are both highly regarded as great cars that are off most people's radar for no good reason. You'll not go wrong with either. I'd suggest the one you can get cheapest with the extras/spec you want is the one to get.

Probably best get the one your wife is happy with too!:)

Niall

Mazda are the most "european" of the japanese manufacturers in that their interiors are generally pretty good and thery understand what makes the great British car buying public tick. That said the 6 really is an insipid drive - competent but boring as hell and unmistakably Japanese. If it was my hard earned money (which it was a couple of months ago) I would (did) go for the Octy because it is in effect a Golf GT TDi with a big boot. It shares a lot of components with Audi / VW for a lot less wonga (SWMBO's Mum works for Caffyn's and they say "four rings on the bonnet, four grand on the price"!) and has a pretty loyal following for good reason. I like Skoda's ethos and I like their build quality and style. The fact it had the 170CR engine alone was enough to make me buy it, the fact it had so much character as well made that decision even easier.

Buy the Octy...........and remember, you're the one who has to drive it not the missus !!!

I ordered the estate becasue i wanted to able to just chuck stuff in the back and on the roof. I dont even have any kids or pets.

Just Hobies.

I liked the low load lip of the estate and bigger opening. Also like roof bars when it comes to putting stuff on the roof.

I am swapping from a Z4 so much beleive if you are going to have a practicle car if needs to be as big as possible.

I have just bitten the bullet and ordered a diesel Vrs Octavia estate in race blue.

My reasons were that I have a two year old daughter and one on the way and also I work in health and safety and carry around large insruments for testing. Currently driving a Saab 9-3 Vector saloon so my back will be pleased with the easy loading now!

• 2 weeks later...

Well... after much consideration, forecourt walking, pram testing, facts, figures and of course everyones advice and thoughts we have purchased an 07 Octy VRS TDi Hatch in race blue, 1 lady owner and only 12,500 miles on the clock for a bargain price (in my opinion) of £12,100:D

I will report back on my thoughts of practicality in the near future. Baby due in 6 weeks!! Arrggghh...oh how time goes bye quickly.:eek:

Collect the car as soon as the DVLA transfer my plate... approx two weeks. Countdown begins

Edited by kerrbryan
Missed a bit!

• 1 month later...

I'm (hopefully) in the market for a vRS early in the new year, and am in a similar boat the OP (albeit minus the dog!) was so have read this thread with interest. I'm amazed how much cr@p we have to cart around for our 11 month old, and the Polo GT we have at the moment just isn't cutting it!! :no:

The lower loading lip of the estate sounds good as my wife suffers back problems and I think that would be quite significant. Can anyone tell me the exact (or thereabouts..) difference in boot sill heights for the hatch and the estate? There aren't many estates for sale and could do with a steer on whether the difference is significant enough to make one worth waiting for..?

I can say that after 11days of fatherhood that the octy hatch more than fits its purpose for bootspace and am so glad I didnt go for the V50 or mazda6. It puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. The dog jumps in and out no probs, with plenty of space for her to move about/look out etc (a boxer, so not a small dog either). We have a fairly big pram as well, a three wheel number with detachable carry cot/car seat, all fits in. :thumbup:

With regard to the estate versus hatch debate, I'm only a few days Octavia owner, but I've had estates for years, and a smaller hatch. One of the things I like about the Octavia estate is that it does have a lip.

I've never understood why motoring writers and others praised the totally flat load space. If you've lifted something off the ground or carried it there, what difference will a small lip make? With a flat to the bumper loading floor there is nothing to stop the bottle of wine rolling out and smashing when you open the tailgate after the Aldi or Tesco run.