Changing current accounts - which bank do you recommend?

Dr Zoidberg

I'm thinking of changing my current account to a different bank as HSBC got on my nerves yesterday. I Tried to phone to find out which branches have a paying in machine for change and wasted 15 minutes being forced to go through security and then get put on hold , and I never actually got near a real person.

Things I'd like , in no particular order.

A half decent interest rate on the balance (instead of zero!).

UK call centres and the ability to actually speak to someone in a branch if needed.

A counter service on a saturday , as I don't want to have to take a day off work to use the bank.

Any incentives to swap would be good.

Reasonably good financial stability , so nobody obscure who mostly loan to unemployed Americans.

Who would you go with?

I've been with Bank of Scotland for about the last 10 years and never had any problems, online banking is easy to use, statement get e-mailed or posted, my branch is open till 3pm on Saturdays and they give me £5 for free each month to my account if I can pay in over a grand a month.

Not had any problems when phoning either.

Will most likely be Halifax in your part of the country but service/accounts should be the same.

I'm happy with RBS. I've been with them for my personal banking since a child. and I'm with them for my business now too. I can phone up my branch and get through instantly every time and can speak to my prefered member of staff. They've hit me with charges a couple of times and I've called them up to say why I went over my overdraft limit briefly or whatever it was and they just applied common sense and waived the charge. The online banking is good too.

However, not many of their branches are open on Saturdays.

With Natwest for 7 years, not had any problems.

Card reader to set up standing orders etc is annoying, but online banking is generally reliable and easy to use.

Banks are open Saturday mornings.

Savings account rates are pretty dire mind.

I know they are part of HSBC but First Direct have been fantastic for me over the years.

UK call centre (not HSBC's by the way!) who are always very helpful, internet service is also top notch.

Couldnt comment on the counter side of things though as I do everything over the phone/internet. Havent been in a branch for years!

I'm happy with RBS. I've been with them for my personal banking since a child. and I'm with them for my business now too. I can phone up my branch and get through instantly every time and can speak to my prefered member of staff. They've hit me with charges a couple of times and I've called them up to say why I went over my overdraft limit briefly or whatever it was and they just applied common sense and waived the charge. The online banking is good too.

Another vote for RBS ,though I've only got a savings account with them . (Current is with HSBC ).Strangely enough at times phoning up HSBC I have been answered by a Scottish accent as opposed to the usual (excellent ,but non colloquially ) foreign English ,whilst the accent from RBS is always English as my branch is in the midlands and the number used is my local branch .

Online banking good ,telephone banking good .

Another vote for RBS ,though I've only got a savings account with them . (Current is with HSBC ).Strangely enough at times phoning up HSBC I have been answered by a Scottish accent as opposed to the usual (excellent ,but non colloquially ) foreign English ,whilst the accent from RBS is always English as my branch is in the midlands and the number used is my local branch .

Online banking good ,telephone banking good .

I remember when 9 times out of 10 you'd get a Scottish voice when you called HSBC even out of normal hours but its become more and more overseas in recent years. Their new in-branch tactics are ****ing my wife off too but I think I'll stick to HSBC than risk one of the nationalised banks.

I'm with RBS and satisfied too- agree with the above. I've been a customer for 20 years or so. Alex, If Wolverhampton isn't too far for you that branch is open on Sat. It's my branch and the staff are friendly and helpful, as is the telphone banking and mortgage centre.

If I was forced to change it would be Co-op, as they have ethical credentials.

:iagree:

Nationwide are still run for your benefit, so no big profit margin required. Best of all their credit cards are amongst the fairest in the market, esp re overseas charges and forex rates, and order of paying balances (highest to lowest rather than lowest to highest which everyone else does, ie if you withdraw some cash in an emergency on your credit card, it runs interest but if you pay it back into the account the payment goes to that item first, compared to HBoS etc where it goes to the interest free items first!!!!! so you have to clear your statement before you stop getting charged interest even on an interest free offer. rant over

I get really hacked off with the lack of counters and just a swath of machines in HSBC too. If I do move however I'll be looking at the £100 incentive offered by First Direct to switch.

The irony of moving from HSBC to HSBC telephone and internet and getting a ton for my troubles makes me smile.

Nationwide are first class in my experience, very ethical atleast! :)

I've been with LloydsTSB for a few years now and they are pretty good on the whole.

A&L are ok, but a bit stuck in the dark ages, and internet banking is poor.

Halifax are to be avoided, as of yesterday I have no business with them whatsoever, and good riddance!

Unfortunately HSBC are one of better banks. I've never heard anything bad about First Direct, and they were offering £100 for opening an account and if you're not happy another £100 to leave them.

Whatever you do just avoid the Santander group