1.6D CR - Skoda's Most Efficient Octy.

My 1.9 diesel is just about run in at 143,600 miles. I can normally get 60-65 mpg on my drive to work but on a decent run I have achieved 71mpg. It was a very gentle drive down mainly A-roads i must add. If your not in a rush you can get the mpg. My dads PD110 can get 70mpg quite easily on long runs after a remap to suit his driving style. He has said that his town mpg has suffered due to the remap but not enough to worry about.

I'd like to see you change gear in an average of 8-10 milliseconds.

DSG drops the clutch of the next preselected gear in 8-10 milliseconds. That probably doesnt count the time to release the previous gear clutch or the safety margin between clutch selection.

It takes well over 100 ms to change a gear, its just that it preselects, which is OK if it predicted correctly.....

Lots of marketing drivel to confuse/inspire the uneducated.

But by all accounts a good box, provided they dont break.

Edited by skodakid

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsr viewpost.gif

Where does the 80,000 come from ? It seems very low.

D

I think that may mean life as in ownership before trade-in. Mine still had the "new-car" smell at 80,000.

Yes, the Lease is for 80k/4 years.

Thanks all, looks like the 1.6CR is a possibility :thumbup:

That's a reassuring review, I'm due to change my car in the next 3-4 months, and have started thinking about the replacement.

Due to company rules, I'm faced with losing my PD140 for either a 1.6CR Greenline or a 1.9PD with a choice of specs (probably Elegance again) - or maybe a Superb Greenline...

Was a bit worried about the loss in power, which is useful for single carriageway overtaking on my long commute - but it sounds like its not far off, if you work it hard.

I replaced my company Octy II 1.9Tdi in January '09 with a Superb II 'S' 1.9Tdi. Spec for spec, the Superb is better equipped than my Ambiente Octy as I added as optional extras cruise, Bolero multi CD, maxidot, fog lights, rear sun blinds and leather three spoke steering wheel. The leasing rates for the Superb are very competitive and the spec level is now almost the same as an Octy Elegance, but with a substantially bigger passenger compartment, slightly bigger boot and importantly, standard ESP and curtain airbags.

My Superb was remapped at around 3,000 miles and the result is a more flexible engine and better economy. I drive 30k miles a year and am regularly achieving 700 miles to a tankful, equating to approx 54-55mpg.

Nonetheless, my next company car will prpbably be an Octy 1.6CR Elegance as the BIK tax rate of 13% compared to the Superb's 21% will save me almost £20 a month in tax, or £960 over the 48 month lifecycle. The improved fuel economy of the 1.6CR should also save me/my employer approx £875 (PD= 55mpg against CR= 60mpg) over the 48 month lifecycle of the car.

My 1.9 diesel is just about run in at 143,600 miles. I can normally get 60-65 mpg on my drive to work but on a decent run I have achieved 71mpg. It was a very gentle drive down mainly A-roads i must add. If your not in a rush you can get the mpg. My dads PD110 can get 70mpg quite easily on long runs after a remap to suit his driving style. He has said that his town mpg has suffered due to the remap but not enough to worry about.

Is your 60-65mpg based on the MFD or actual consumption (full to empty, then full again)? I would suspect the latter.

DSG drops the clutch of the next preselected gear in 8-10 milliseconds. That probably doesnt count the time to release the previous gear clutch or the safety margin between clutch selection.

It takes well over 100 ms to change a gear, its just that it preselects, which is OK if it predicted correctly.....

Lots of marketing drivel to confuse/inspire the uneducated.

But by all accounts a good box, provided they dont break.

There is a comprehensive article on DSG here

Direct-Shift Gearbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says that upshifts take 8ms which is the time the wheels are unpowered

Silkysteve, I can't match your mpg (46 mpg is my personal best so far on dense stop-start traffic), but I share your enthousiasm for the engine. Indeed, very silent and a lot of Laufkultur as the Germans put it. More than enough power for me, and always a smile on my face...

Getting over 60mpg now. Takes some getting used to but not sure if the gear change indicator really works......Done 1500 miles and it is starting to be more responsive.

I did one brim to brim test that indicated an average of 50 mpg over around 600 miles compared to the maxi-dot indicated 51 mpg, although the maxi dot was over a longer period, so it's not that scientific. I'll have to do a few more tests first. The indicated 51 mpg was over all kinds of driving including heavy stop-start traffic and all the bad weather we've been having. In contrast, this Sunday I made trip from my place near Bristol to Bournemouth, Southampton and back home on mainly motorways and A-roads showed an average of 60 mpg on the maxi-dot, so it looks as if things are losening up a bit, but I'm guessing it still has a way to go.

I trash the tits off of my 1.9 PD and regularly get an indicated 55 mpg, ranges between 51 and 60 depending on what I am doing. On long motorway journeys when using cruise control the live reading can be much higher - I don't tend to look at the live reading when not using cruise control as it is just too erratic, and often just shows "---"

I think there is a certain balance between smaller engine and better mpg, as you rev higher with a smaller engine to get the same effect. I'm not convinced there is much out there that beats the 1.9.

Went for a trip this week-end, 4 adults and luggage and 2 MTB's at the tail, driving 120 km/h constantly and heavy side-wind. Did 5.9l/100km, i.e. 47.87 mpg (trip computer indicating 47 mpg)

Is that good? I think so.

I'll go for another trip soon, and than I'll stick to 110 km/h, with no bikes attached and only 2 adults. See what that gives...

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a trip this week-end, 4 adults and luggage and 2 MTB's at the tail, driving 120 km/h constantly and heavy side-wind. Did 5.9l/100km, i.e. 47.87 mpg (trip computer indicating 47 mpg)

Is that good? I think so.

I'll go for another trip soon, and than I'll stick to 110 km/h, with no bikes attached and only 2 adults. See what that gives...

When calculating my mpg, realised I made a mistake! 5.9 l/100 km is 39.86 mpg... In the mean time, I learned not to look at the trip computer regarding mpg.

Now went for another trip, as promised, driving 110 km/h constantly, no bikes attached and 2 adults inside. There was heavy side-wind (and head-wind the last 50 km, 4-5 beaufort), though. Got 44.376 mpg, hoped to get 47-48 mpg. How in hell do some get over 60 mpg? I try not to annoy other people on the a-roads, driving too slow. Or I'll have to stay amongst the trucks... but then, why bother having a car with 105 bhp and an aircon? I have no greenline, what could make some difference. Is that the experience of other 1.6 cr owners, or is mine a thirsty one?

broere,

You were right the first time. 5.9L/100KM = 47.88 miles per gallon.

Your second calculation was a conversion into American gallons which are smaller than UK imperial gallons.

1 Litre = 0.26417205 US Gallons or 1 US Gallon = 3.785 Litres

1 Litre = 0.219969157 UK Gallons or 1 UK Gallon = 4.546 Litres

The figures we use in the UK are the UK Gallons which will give a larger mpg as there are more litres in the UK gallon.

I'm guessing if you are using the same formula to get 44.376mpg, your actual UK mpg would be 53.293 mpg, higher than your hoped for 47-48 mpg.

With your breaking in period and driving at 90-100kmph, you will be a lot closer to that 60mpg, probably closer to 70mpg under perfect conditions.

Hope this helps.

broere,

You were right the first time. 5.9L/100KM = 47.88 miles per gallon.

Your second calculation was a conversion into American gallons which are smaller than UK imperial gallons.

1 Litre = 0.26417205 US Gallons or 1 US Gallon = 3.785 Litres

1 Litre = 0.219969157 UK Gallons or 1 UK Gallon = 4.546 Litres

The figures we use in the UK are the UK Gallons which will give a larger mpg as there are more litres in the UK gallon.

I'm guessing if you are using the same formula to get 44.376mpg, your actual UK mpg would be 53.293 mpg, higher than your hoped for 47-48 mpg.

With your breaking in period and driving at 90-100kmph, you will be a lot closer to that 60mpg, probably closer to 70mpg under perfect conditions.

Hope this helps.

Indeed, my son just explained to me what mistake I had made. (US Gallons and UK Gallons were mixed up. Stupid me!) Maths never were my cup of tea, you know! And when re-calculating it all over again, I see that my new results confirm what you had already figured out. Thanks for that. Indeed, I achieved 5.3l/100km, meaning 53.2 mpg. And perhaps, having done some more miles (or kilometers...) my mpg will even improve!

No probs broere,

glad to help.

I was very tempted to go for this engine myself, but I make too many short trips for a diesel, so went for the next best thing, the 1.4TSi.

Hope you reach your figure soon bud.

The trick to getting excellent fuel economy is to realise that while the engine won't pull like a train away from 1000 rpm if you floor it (It's bad for the engine to floor it at this rpm anyway), it will hold the car at it's current speed with very little throttle surprisingly well, so just use the highest gear that keeps the engine over 1000 rpm to keep rolling at constant speed on level road and drop a gears or two if you want acceleration. I changed to diesel around April this year and have been slowly converting my driving style to accommodate this ever since - the weekend before last I got my PD 105 to 72.3 mpg (Indicated) over a 1 hr drive including small country roads, A road, motorway and a few traffic light stops and urban traffic. That was an exceptional run though, normally its more like mid to high 50's for mpg and the trip takes probably 5-10 minutes less...

psycholist, you mention that it's bad for the engine to floor it at 1000 rpm. Is it any good for the engine to keep it going at these low revs? Can the oil in the engine to its job at these revs? Personally, I don't go under 1300 rpm, as I have the feeling the engine is not at its ease below it.

Or is the engine developed to go at these low revs?

Provided you're not putting the engine under load the engine feels fine though. The point is that when you're not looking for any acceleration you don't need to have the eingine movng any faster than the minimum. I'd like someone in the know to comment on the oil pressure alright though...

• 3 weeks later...

During this cold weather my MPG has dropped drastically to about 45 MPG which is very annoying for me as I normally get about 60-65 MPG and pride myself on eeking out the most I can from a tank of fuel. I think I have some kind of disorder when it comes to MPG. I keep trying to better my father but can't get close. He averages about 70 on long runs which is all he does. He has had a remap to obtain the best MPG for his type of driving which has reduced town efficency but made good improvements on motorway driving. He ain't no boy racer so BHP didn't come into it. Torque was increased though to enable low rev cruising.

During this cold weather my MPG has dropped drastically

Strange. Before the roads started getting icy I was getting about 50-55 mpg, because I was driving to work at about 80... but recently I have had over 60mpg because I have been doing 50.

Maybe it's a leak as it is a big drop. I can't get up to 60 on my way to work on perfect road conditions, very twisty country lanes. Can't say I dont try on occasions though. It has started to pick up again now it's not quite so harsh but won't be able to tell for sure till I next fill up. Maybe it's my temp sensor or thermostat as my car never got above 1/4 on the guage last week.