DPF Issue Sorted At Fraction Of The Cost PD 170

Anyone know if there is there a mod to remove the DPF and re-program the 2.0l PD 140 in the Scout?

Well here goes.... The Scout has a 2.0 8v TDI. It has a 1646 garrette turbo.

What all this means is that it shares the same turbo as the 1.9 105 tdi that does not have a DPF, so i n theory this down pipe will fit, thus removing dpf.

The engine in the scout is a bmm, superchips used this basic engine the race caddy van they ran a few years ago and know how to delete the dpf stuff. The ecu is not siemens like the pd170 its a bocsh which I believe is easier to map, I guess by now a number of other tuners could also do the delete.

But i have to ask why one would want to do it.... The dpf only seems to be an issue on the 170 pd tdi. When I had my much missed scout I drove a very short distance to work every day and never had any dpf issues. You might I guess get a little increase in mpg, but i would guess that the gains would not be anything like that of the 170.

The 2.0 8v Tdi has a very small turbo and even with the dpf delete I would not have thought you get much more over a good remap with the dpf still in place.

For me I'd be tempted to get a hybrid 150 turbo and a custom down pipe. The 150 turbo will fit as its from the old 1.9 8v 150 tdi, ie they share the same 8v head, but has 3 stud flange on the exhaust side rather than a rolled collar, thus the custom down pipe. Although you might be able to get the standard turbo hybrid'd but i guess that the exhaust side might be a bit small?

Anyhow, just a few thoughts ......

I believe the small turbo was used to keep egt up and thus help the dpf....

Edited by thewez

Hi,

in Germany this measure would be illegal, as you would defraud taxes by that. You can't have it legalized because it is not allowed to worsen the exhaust pollution. How is the situation in the UK? It seems to me it is different here because everyone seems to do it and no one seems to complain? Someone doing this in the german forum would be ripped appart ...emoticon-0106-crying.gif

How is the situation in the UK?

Nobody cares in the UK. It is conceivable that the requirements of the annual MOT test may be tightened for diesel emissions in the future though. Even if they do start fully analysing diesel emissions, you've just got to be friends with an MOT tester. :thumbup:

From what I've been told the removal doesn't give as much power over the standard remap as people first thought. In fact if my map hadn't have been restricted at the top end to protect the filter it would have easily made 210bhp anyway.

• 1 month later...

Surely a short piece of pipe made by one of the many custom exhaust makers out there ( Pipewerx piper etc) would be a better bet than destroying the DPF? any one know of anyone who has approached one of these companies?

Surely a short piece of pipe made by one of the many custom exhaust makers out there ( Pipewerx piper etc) would be a better bet than destroying the DPF? any one know of anyone who has approached one of these companies?

Milltek and Supersprint sell them.

Just Out Of Curiosity, I Was Wondering, Has Anybody Else Attempted This Mod, Or A Variation Of It?

If Anyone Has AnyThing To Add , Please Do

Regards

Tom

Hi Tom been a while since you posted this question but had a discussion with a chap today regarding this mod.

He runs a company called pipecraft in basildon essex they make complete custom exhaust systems mainly for V8's. Well i rung him to see feasability of making a replacement downpipe instead of cutting up original DPF whilst he said this is not a problem and completely acheivable he found it a much more cost effective way to modify the original.

He ran through the process that he had done to a Safira diesel and i must say it was the exact process that you have developed.

The customer was delighted with the end result.

Milltek and Supersprint sell them.

Just answered Tom on this question.

Spoke to pipecraft in essex today concerning this and yes totally possible he wanted to see original DPF as to how many additional pipes and sensors would need to added to replacement so impossible to price the job for me, but as a guide i used them to link an exhaust after cats were cut out and i was charged £30 for each of the 2 cats he removed.

I appreciate this is a far easier job than were discussing but ive taken the decision its well worth exploring, Im with you on destroying a perfectly good piece of engineering.

Just answered Tom on this question.

Spoke to pipecraft in essex today concerning this and yes totally possible he wanted to see original DPF as to how many additional pipes and sensors would need to added to replacement so impossible to price the job for me, but as a guide i used them to link an exhaust after cats were cut out and i was charged £30 for each of the 2 cats he removed.

I appreciate this is a far easier job than were discussing but ive taken the decision its well worth exploring, Im with you on destroying a perfectly good piece of engineering.

Seriously, get a price for a pipe off this guy! If he can do them at sensible money I'd be very interested. I'm having shed loads of problems with my remapped Vrs and I am putting it down to the DPF. Well, either that or the turbo is on its way. Which if it is, it needs to give up before the new year. lol

Seriously, get a price for a pipe off this guy! If he can do them at sensible money I'd be very interested. I'm having shed loads of problems with my remapped Vrs and I am putting it down to the DPF. Well, either that or the turbo is on its way. Which if it is, it needs to give up before the new year. lol

Give them a call on 01268 285535 incredibly helpful people.Im still at a very early stage of deciding what to do and im still under manu warranty and considerin my vrs is used as a Private Taxi think the sensible thing to do is for me to wait until warranty expires which is about 6 months away.

considerin my vrs is used as a Private Taxi think the sensible thing to do is for me to wait until warranty expires which is about 6 months away.

You need to be aware that these cars absolutely stink of raw, acrid ucatalysed diesel fumes once you remove the DPF. Not really a problem on the move, but something to consider if you're going to be sat stationary with the engine running a lot.

You need to be aware that these cars absolutely stink of raw, acrid ucatalysed diesel fumes once you remove the DPF. Not really a problem on the move, but something to consider if you're going to be sat stationary with the engine running a lot.

I've had a PD Tdi before without a filter and the smell was something I never noticed.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi all. Sorry to drag this one up again but it's a very informative thread.

Does anyone know if you have to remap to remove the DPF sensors if you install a DPF bypass pipe? I am guessing the sensors are balanced and any difference measured between them needs to fall into a preset range and that + or - too much (including removal of the DPF) could trigger a fault code/dash light.

Anyone know for sure?

Well here goes.... The Scout has a 2.0 8v TDI. It has a 1646 garrette turbo.

What all this means is that it shares the same turbo as the 1.9 105 tdi that does not have a DPF, so i n theory this down pipe will fit, thus removing dpf.

The engine in the scout is a bmm, superchips used this basic engine the race caddy van they ran a few years ago and know how to delete the dpf stuff. The ecu is not siemens like the pd170 its a bocsh which I believe is easier to map, I guess by now a number of other tuners could also do the delete.

But i have to ask why one would want to do it.... The dpf only seems to be an issue on the 170 pd tdi. When I had my much missed scout I drove a very short distance to work every day and never had any dpf issues. You might I guess get a little increase in mpg, but i would guess that the gains would not be anything like that of the 170.

The 2.0 8v Tdi has a very small turbo and even with the dpf delete I would not have thought you get much more over a good remap with the dpf still in place.

For me I'd be tempted to get a hybrid 150 turbo and a custom down pipe. The 150 turbo will fit as its from the old 1.9 8v 150 tdi, ie they share the same 8v head, but has 3 stud flange on the exhaust side rather than a rolled collar, thus the custom down pipe. Although you might be able to get the standard turbo hybrid'd but i guess that the exhaust side might be a bit small?

Anyhow, just a few thoughts ......

I believe the small turbo was used to keep egt up and thus help the dpf....

Basically agree with all your points but it definately makes a noticeable difference on the scout :thumbup:

One point to add, the standard map on the scout is set to gently feed the fuel in when you accelerate hard to reduce the load on the DPF, this makes it feel a bit lethargic at times & if you are rushing up through the gears there is sometimes a flat spot as you re apply the power, a delete & remap gets rid of this.

Downside on the Scout, to get the DPF off you need to remove the transfer box & drop the rack so takes longer & you have the added cost of a re track. Still worth it IMO

Next logical step is a hybrid or bigger turbo but also factor in a clutch as its likely to overload this.

Hi all. Sorry to drag this one up again but it's a very informative thread.

Does anyone know if you have to remap to remove the DPF sensors if you install a DPF bypass pipe? I am guessing the sensors are balanced and any difference measured between them needs to fall into a preset range and that + or - too much (including removal of the DPF) could trigger a fault code/dash light.

Anyone know for sure?

Yes you do have to remap the ECU to remove the DPF functions and most importantly the regeneration functions.

Thanks all.

This one is actually for the Mrs' Polo but, of course, the principle is identical. I'll give Diesel Bob a yell for starters and see where it leads......

• 10 years later...

I know this is quite an old thread but I found it and the advice helped me….to an extent.

I have a 2008 Skoda Octavia VRS PD170 which I bought with a blocked DPF. Various garages had tried regenerates and DPF cleaners but that wasn’t going remove the hard baked in Sulphur or whatever the hard yellowish stuff is that I found blocking the tubes.

I just wanted to update the instructions for the DPF removal as there was more steps on my car.

After point 7

I needed to remove a large aluminium plate which contains the stabilising mount for the engine (13mm, 16mm and 18mm sockets)

Once the engine mount plate is out, there are two aluminium castings which hold the steering rack and the inner side of the lower arms. Undo these (4x 18mm). The steering rack will now drop down and hang off the steering column.

At this stage I undid the anti-roll drop links and removed the anti-roll bar completely

A curved heat shield around the drive shaft needs to be removed (2x 13mm)

Now you can carry on with point 8. I removed all 5 bolts for the DPF mounting which allowed me to remove the bracket as well

When it comes to re-assembly, I would recommend jacking the steering rack up to roughly where it should be as lifting it back in while the lower arms and hubs are fighting you is quite hard on your own.

I would also recommend not tightening any of the bolts on the lower arm castings and the plate which holds the engine mount until everything is back on as it takes a bit of messing about to get everything lined up.

Comment is you need any more advice