trade in price issues

ok - we are trying to trade the superb in (sorry !) as we need a larger (more seats) vehicle. I am getting varying offers from the disappointing to the down right ridiculous. interstingly i found out that one of the issues is the car does not appear in glass' guide ??? I checked online and sure enough glass do not list the car. as this is the bible many traders use then they are struggling to value it. they are simply phoning their auction guy and getting a stupidly low bidwhy is it not listed - its been out for 12 months + now. ?it does list on parkers car guide but this is not really used by the trade Also had an interesting bid from BCA (british car auctions). I thought they would recommend a very low reserve but is was £500 more than VW offered as a trade in and to be fair to VW they did offer a sensible price.

Edited by jcblincs
typos

I had the same issue with my fiesta ST 500 with stage 2 mountune. No one would buy it cos they couldn't value it. I ended up that desperate I accepted a ridiculous offer from my work and bought my fabia way over priced :(

Hang in for the right offer. I wish I did but was in financial difficulty and it had to go

Our Corolla 2005 1.4D with MMT gearbox doesn't appear either, even the online sites say "no valuation available for this vehicle". Kind of bullies you into a private sale or keeping it :(

but a superb elegance 1.8T DSG is hardly obscure !!! if parkers list it then where do they get there trade in data from ?

went to my local skoda dealer today and they are looking into giving me a price to buy it. hopefully will come back tomorrow with an offer.

but a superb elegance 1.8T DSG is hardly obscure !!! if parkers list it then where do they get there trade in data from ?

went to my local skoda dealer today and they are looking into giving me a price to buy it. hopefully will come back tomorrow with an offer.

Jonathon

Your car has an excellent spec but the main problem is that its petrol

There are 90 Superb II's on Autotrader and only 5 petrol. the other issue is its a private sale and so you can not take a part exchange or offer finance

If 2 months ago you would take my 2006 Focus ST off me for the same price a dealer offered me on a new Octavia VRS, I would have taken the deal.

For me a DSG Superb Elegance in Satin Blue and Ivory leather would have just clinched it over a VRS

What prices are you getting?

The car's still in it's first 12 months, which is the biggest drop. Can be as much as 33%.

its worse than that. it depends if you base the calculations on list price or the price that i paid. if you go for what i paid then the drop to what the local skoda dealer offered me was 40%. makes the trade in offer VW gave last week look really good at only 34% drop. (£1500 more in real terms). problem with that is that we are likely to be getting a ford smax and i just laughed at the dealer when they gave me their trade in price !!I think I am going to be blighted by these issues as we live in a silly time where derv rules. never understood why low mileage users simpy jump on the bandwagon and buy diesel. I suppose they might LIKE them but can never understand why anyone would turn down a 1.8TSi as its a cracking engine !!!back to the drawing board perhaps, or maybe take a deep breath and accept the drop.

never understood why low mileage users simpy jump on the bandwagon and buy diesel. I suppose they might LIKE them but can never understand why anyone would turn down a 1.8TSi as its a cracking engine

Quite possibly for that reason, before i changed over to diesel powered cars i had (mostly) always had big engined petrol cars as i loved the power delivery and drivability of a decent sized 2.5L straight 6 engine.

The 110 and 130 TDi's however to me are even better - with the added bonus of another 10+ MPG, lower insurance, lower RFL etc ..............

Horses for courses i know, but i for one will not be returning to petrol power in the foreseeable future.

Good luck with the sale, but i feel you are selling at the wrong time so will inevitably have to take a huge hit of depreciation if you really want it gone.

Quite possibly for that reason, before i changed over to diesel powered cars i had (mostly) always had big engined petrol cars as i loved the power delivery and drivability of a decent sized 2.5L straight 6 engine.

The 110 and 130 TDi's however to me are even better - with the added bonus of another 10+ MPG, lower insurance, lower RFL etc ..............

Horses for courses i know, but i for one will not be returning to petrol power in the foreseeable future.

Good luck with the sale, but i feel you are selling at the wrong time so will inevitably have to take a huge hit of depreciation if you really want it gone.

Real world terms yours is a better buy than a diesel Jon, lets look at the differences between your 1.8 p and a 2.0 d. MPG - The D shades it by about 4 mpg on the urban iirc, so that over an average of 8k miles pa is roughly a saving of £178, I use that as an example of a low mileage user trotting about town, so even trebled up it's still only just over £500 pa saving. Reliable, I don't think there's anything in it there tbh, but! and it is a big but the D when it goes wrong will have a dpf and a diesel pump to worry about that the P doesn't. . Opinion's?

Y'know, a year or so back I would've been right there with you. I had a Golf GT-TDI and it was fine, nice and torquey, got about 45-50mpg and life was good. Then it started having problems and I decided to change cars.

Couldn't afford to put much cash towards what I'd get for selling it, so I was looking for something in the 4k price range. Not much I know, but I've always been a believer that you can get a good motor for that kind of money.

After looking at diesels for months on end and finding nothing but aged motors that would probably be on the brink of DMF failure and turbo problems, I came to the conclusion that unless you're able to buy a good low mileage diesel *and* do enough miles to warrant it, you're better off with petrol. And in the 4k bracket unless I went for something last-generation before all this DMF malarkey, I'd probably have been just buying myself a load of problems and one big headache. Basically, I see old cheap TDI's as quite a risky buy these days. So in the end I went for a Mk1 Octy vRS and I'm soo happy with it. I do about 60 miles a day, so yes it costs me about a tenner in fuel each day but because of the purchase price I'm not having to make £200-£300 loan payments each month just to save me 50 quid on fuel. False economy, if you will.

Besides, the Octy is pretty rapid, gets 35mpg on my commute and 40+ on a run, and although not without issues it doesn't have the TDI achilles heels either.

its worse than that. it depends if you base the calculations on list price or the price that i paid. if you go for what i paid then the drop to what the local skoda dealer offered me was 40%.

Ouch! Think is though, expensive list prices always take a big drop. Owning for a year then moving on isnt for the faint hearted as you've found out. Do you really need more than 5 seats?

Ouch! Think is though, expensive list prices always take a big drop. Owning for a year then moving on isnt for the faint hearted as you've found out. Do you really need more than 5 seats?

nope. but we could do with 5 seats and not 4.5 !!! try sitting in the middle of two kiddies seats in the back of a superb for more than 10 mins !!the superb is actually not that wide in the back - certainly narrower than our old shape A6.the thing is if i wait longer to make the depreciation "feel" less in real terms we will simply loose more money as its value is only going to go down. agreed it will be at a lesser rate over time but that doesnt make much difference really !

Real world terms yours is a better buy than a diesel Jon, lets look at the differences between your 1.8 p and a 2.0 d. MPG - The D shades it by about 4 mpg on the urban iirc, so that over an average of 8k miles pa is roughly a saving of £178, I use that as an example of a low mileage user trotting about town, so even trebled up it's still only just over £500 pa saving. Reliable, I don't think there's anything in it there tbh, but! and it is a big but the D when it goes wrong will have a dpf and a diesel pump to worry about that the P doesn't. . Opinion's?

Real world terms seems to be showing that the market for a petrol isn't there. You put up a good logical argument for the petrol, but supply and demand shows more people will go for a diesel.

I'm currently shopping for a new Superb for delivery in the new year and you can actually get 27% off the list price on particular petrol models if you go to the right broker. On that basis, the prices you are being offered sound pretty good actually. I was offered a VERY highly specced up 3.6 4x4 DSG (cancelled fleet order) for £22,800 which is almost £9000 under list for this perticular car and if you look on drive the deal they can get you 15% off almost any Skoda at the moment, and there is a good spec petrol VRS with £4K off if you can buy before the end of this month. The drop in value might seem horrendous, but they could actually be giving you a very decent deal.

I'm currently shopping for a new Superb for delivery in the new year and you can actually get 27% off the list price on particular petrol models if you go to the right broker. On that basis, the prices you are being offered sound pretty good actually. I was offered a VERY highly specced up 3.6 4x4 DSG (cancelled fleet order) for £22,800 which is almost £9000 under list for this perticular car and if you look on drive the deal they can get you 15% off almost any Skoda at the moment, and there is a good spec petrol VRS with £4K off if you can buy before the end of this month. The drop in value might seem horrendous, but they could actually be giving you a very decent deal.

Unfortunately you'd probably spend £9000 on fuel during the first month's ownership !

Unfortunately you'd probably spend £9000 on fuel during the first month's ownership !

It's not as bad as you'd think. One of my customers has an R36 Passat and he gets at least 28MPG and he drives like a nutter. I think 30 is feasible on a long run, which is mainly what I'm doing. The Superb 3.6's main problem as I see it is an ex-demo R36 Estate which is the same money, but more powerful and just as well equipped. Probably marginally better resale too.

It's not as bad as you'd think. One of my customers has an R36 Passat and he gets at least 28MPG and he drives like a nutter. I think 30 is feasible on a long run, which is mainly what I'm doing. The Superb 3.6's main problem as I see it is an ex-demo R36 Estate which is the same money, but more powerful and just as well equipped. Probably marginally better resale too.

He's lying mate, a ragged R36 won't show 20mpg let alone nearly 30mpg, might scrape 32mpg if it's set on cruise at 60mph on a clear road for 50 miles, I've heard such wonderful stories on fuel over the years, last V6 I had was a 2.5 and it would return 17mpg about town, iirc the R36 is a much bigger cc? so even allowing for PTWR his figures don't stack up.

Edited by Supurbia

Just traded my Passat PD170 in, full specced up 08 plate 28k on the clock £12,500 fortunatly i only paid that for it myself in feb last year when I could negotiate a bargin price.

Switched to a 2.0TFSi, good deal again and that does between 20mpg round town to 35mpg on a steady motorway cruise

Just traded my Passat PD170 in, full specced up 08 plate 28k on the clock £12,500 fortunatly i only paid that for it myself in feb last year when I could negotiate a bargin price.

Switched to a 2.0TFSi, good deal again and that does between 20mpg round town to 35mpg on a steady motorway cruise

That's fairly shocking on both counts. There are so many high-spec Passats about that they really are worth buttons used. The odd thing is that despite the fact that you see so very few Sat Nav equipped cars on the road (you can tell because they're the ones with antennae), and the MFD3 is still very popular on ebay, the dealers tell you that having the full MFD/Premium kit adds nothing to the value of the car at all. Given that it was a 2K option at the time, I'm pretty horrified. Apparently dark metallic grey is a bad colour for resale too. DSG isn't popular used either because it's rubbish apparently and black sports leather interiors are also bad news.

And yet I'm still getting offered effectively £11K as a trade-in against a new Superb Estate with a big discount on top so I don't feel so bad given that your younger car with lots less use only made £12,500. You did very well to get an 08 for £12,500 last February. I am thinking very hard about a Merc C250 manual though as they are dirt cheap at the moment.

well its gone....sold....and to a fellow briskodian !!!

BurialConstant is now the proud owner of my 1.8TSi DSG. I got a fair price and more that i would have got trade in.

I am now the owner of a mark1 superb which i will drive around in until next year as we havnt decided what to go for next !!

Did the alarm problem ever get resolved ?

I think so, Jon said sorry to next door not inviting them to the wife swap parties he holds, and in turn the neighbour stopped rocking the car in the middle of the night to set it off.

Edited by Supurbia

I think so, Jon said sorry to next door not inviting them to the wife swap parties he holds, and in turn the neighbour stopped rocking the car in the middle of the night to set it off.

:o have you seen my neighbours !!!! not likely !

You did very well to get an 08 for £12,500 last February. I am thinking very hard about a Merc C250 manual though as they are dirt cheap at the moment.

It was originally up for £19,500. Id shown some interest in the car but having payed a similar amount for my vRS I didn't want to spend that amount of money.

Two weeks later they'd reduced it to £15,500.

Salesman: Is the price more to your liking Mr Matthews?

Me: It's getting there but still a bit more than i'd like to pay

Salesman: How much would you pay then

Me: £12,000 (knowing they'd refuse it)

Salesman: I don't think we can let it go for that little

Me: Well go and speak to your manager and find out how little you can let it go for then

Salesman dissapeared, 10 mins later re-appears rather sheepish looking "How does £12,500 sound?"

Bargin :rofl: though if you remember back at that time big cars were not selling, every one want 1 litre city boxes with bare spec. It'd had been the fleet managers car used as a demonstrator and VW's policy is to get rid at 6k, by the time I picked it up it had done nearly 10k so they'd obviously had it sat around a while