Phillips x treme headlight bulbs

pg220

I am thinking of fitting these lamps to my FL VRS, when I get it,

I didn't go for xenons as most of my driving is in built up areas with ample street lighting and done in daylight hours. Therefor I couldn't justify the expense. These seem like a reasonably cost effective improvement (I know they will be nothing like Xenons)

Few questions please

Are they any good.

Are they difficult to fit

Do they cause any problems with electrics / fuses on FL VRS

Thanks

Answers below:

I am thinking of fitting these lamps to my FL VRS, when I get it,

I didn't go for xenons as most of my driving is in built up areas with ample street lighting and done in daylight hours. Therefor I couldn't justify the expense. These seem like a reasonably cost effective improvement (I know they will be nothing like Xenons)

Few questions please

Are they any good.

They are good..voted the best in Autoexpress, whiter but still show that yellowish tinge. IMO Ring Max 100% are marginally better ,but its very very close

The light module has to be removed..not difficult at all

They are 55w, so no problem at all

Thanks

Answers below:

I run these in my Fabia , they are better , I have been flashed a couple of times as people think I have my full beam on

But no they are great , I get through a few bulbs , as I am on 180k miles now

Always replace with them now , as I have tried a few others , but always go back to them

Sarah

Are they any good.

Thanks

1) Yes, but they don't last very long at all and if you do high mileage go for the 50% bulbs instead.

2) IT's a bulb, so as long as you can work out how to get your lights out (see manual) it's not hard.

3) They didn't on a MK II, so I doubt they will on the FL.

I've recently bought a pair of the Philips X-Treme bulbs after having another dipped bulb expire (3 in 28k miles). I should however add, I do use DRL's which undoubtedly reduces the bulbs life.

The new bulbs are an improvement over the original bulbs. however, I'll be interested in their life expectancy.

If you search online you can buy a pair of these bulbs for just over £20.00.

I've recently bought a pair of the Philips X-Treme bulbs after having another dipped bulb expire (3 in 28k miles). I should however add, I do use DRL's which undoubtedly reduces the bulbs life.

The new bulbs are an improvement over the original bulbs. however, I'll be interested in their life expectancy.

If you search online you can buy a pair of these bulbs for just over £20.00.

My VRS has auto lights which i tend to leave them to their own devices. With the FL VRS having LED DRL this shouldn't affect the headlights life expectancy should it?

My VRS has auto lights which i tend to leave them to their own devices. With the FL VRS having LED DRL this shouldn't affect the headlights life expectancy should it?

I've noticed that the light sensor appears to be a bit keener in the FL than on my last vRS so have set the 'auto' lights switch to manual and rely on the LED DRLs for a while longer

There is an option to have the headlights on as DRLs, i.e. whenever the ignition is on the headlights are on. The FL vRS has LEDs for this purpose.

Well, I have to be honest: I used all kinds of bulbs (Osram Nightbreaker in H7 and H1 shape, Osram Silverstar, Tesla Cheapies from Lidl and standard ones) and I really must say, I never had the impression that any of them stood out of the rest in terms of brightness or lighting distance...... In my Octavia I am back to the cheap Lidls and they are absolutely ok. And they only cost me 10 Euros, with them being available only once a year I bought 3 sets of them.

The only thing I would avoid are those crappy Xenon-Blue bulbs as they are coloured and a lot of the light gets filtered out. Drive them during rainy days and you can just as well leave the headlights turned off ;-)

Edited by Octavia1Z

I put a set of these in a year ago, and they are still going strong. We drive with lights on during daylight too, and I've done about 20k Km with them, and they're still going strong. This also includes extreme low temperatures, which is reputed to be a killer of bulbs. Performance is super when compared to the bulbs that came with it.

Does anyone else find that the dipped beam has a rather inconsistent spread and leaves dark areas at the sides which is particularly annoying when negotiating right hand bends on narrow roads. Such is the contrast in illumination that it seems as if part of the beam is being blocked. I dont think it is a bulb issue but more a feature of the reflector system within the headlight unit.

By contrast the dipped beams in our other vehicles have a much more even spread.

Ive put brighter bulbs in but the dim areas remain.

Any comments / solutions ?

Edited by Jules59

Does anyone else find that the dipped beam has a rather inconsistent spread and leaves dark areas at the sides which is particularly annoying when negotiating right hand bends on narrow roads.

Yes, same "feature" here, although of course mine are "dark areas for left hand bends". I thought all headlamps were set up this way to prevent dazzle for oncoming drivers. But maybe it's more pronounced in the Octavia.

Does anyone else find that the dipped beam has a rather inconsistent spread and leaves dark areas at the sides which is particularly annoying when negotiating right hand bends on narrow roads.

Yep, same with me. I have got a dark spot in high beam which is a little disturbing....but you can't do anything about it...at least changing bulbs does not fix this....

As for the above Xenon Kit mentioned: NoGo.....illegal (at least here in Germany] and usually of bad quality....

Edited by Octavia1Z

Yes, same "feature" here, although of course mine are "dark areas for left hand bends". I thought all headlamps were set up this way to prevent dazzle for oncoming drivers. But maybe it's more pronounced in the Octavia.

Oops my mistake - wasnt concentrating - I meant to say the problem is on main beam not dipped beam. The dipped beam is in fact quiet evenly spread over the limited area it is designed to cover. Its the main beam which annoys me - with 2 dark areas at about 2 and 11 o'clock above the area prviously lit by the dipped beam. And because you are looking into bright reflected light its hard to "see into" these dark areas on either side.

I'll have to take some pics to illustrate what I mean - its not easy to decsribe. But it sure irritates me.

No complaints from me of them. Easy enough to fit, just pop the complete light fitting out and do it in the comfort of the living room.

Not quite so easy to fit on the TDi; something is right in the way preventing decent access on the drivers side. Can't remember what but remember it being more of a pain then when I changed them on my TFSI.

I use the Phillips x treme and rate them highly.

• 1 year later...

sorry to bump an old thread, but can anyone advice how to actually get the bulb out of its holder? I went to fit uprated bulbs today, but just cant see how the old bulb actually comes out, yes I have the light unit out!

sorry dude, its not that kinda fitting anymore!

with a bit of fiddling, I managed to get the bulbs out and refitted, I guess I should have taken a quick snap, I had a lot of trouble getting the drivers side light reseated properly, although passengers slid straight in!