Creaking suspension

tez1978

Hello everyone and Happy New Year (better late than never).

As the title says i'm having some problems with creaking suspension.

I HATE ANNOYING NOISES WHEN I'M DRIVING!!

It only seems to have started during the wet cold weather, has anyone else had this problem and how can I fix it?

I went round the underneath of the car with a can of WD-40 on any rubber bushes I could find and it cured it for a day but now it's getting too much and my car sounds like a £200 shi##er that I used to have years ago.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but any help would be very much appreciated.

Tez.

Sorry,I forgot to type the last one!

I too have this creaking sound from the suspension mostly when its wet. I am trying to get it back to the garage and see if anything can be done on the warranty?

I thought it maybe bushes as it does not sound metallic.

If you can try isolate where the creaking is coming from, if its a suspension/ dampner or bush problem then you can test each corner by pushing it down a corner at a time. Another thing as daft as it may sound is check the brakes.

Almost certainly the console bushes, especially if your Fabias are diesels (although they all go in the end...) Get them replaced with the equivalent part from the Ibiza Cupra to stop it happening again, as the standard bushes have big voids that help a little with vibration, but also are the cause of them failing.

HTH

My Fabia II is doing this as well especially in the wet and cold in addition to being accompanied by a metallic clunking noise from the rear over bumps. My Fabia is just over two years old and has done 26k, do they really fail this early?

If so I will ask my dealer if they can fit the alternate Ibiza part, whats the point of replacing them if they are just going to wear again

The console bushes are at the front, so a knocking from the back is not the console bushes. Moreover the Fabia II doesn't have console bushes anyway!

A knocking from the back could be the rear beam bushes (unlikely at 26k) or a faulty shock or loose shock mount, or even exhaust knocking somewhere.

If i get out the car or had a car full and everyone gets out my suspension creeks. Same if i move the car from side to side when parked, this isn't when wet, it's all the time.

My 56 reg started to creak from the rear suspension when I got in or out of it in the first year that I had it. I'm only 10 stone and the heaviest thing that I carry is she who thinks she must be obeyed (marginally heavier than myself). I mentioned it to the dealer when I dropped it in for the first service. and he kept it in for a day. When I picked it up he said that he had greased everything up.

It was O.K. fo a couple of months but then the creaking returned. Unfortunately, I was dependant upon tranport at the time and could not affod to be wihout wheels even for a day.

I menioned it again when I dropped it in for its second service and again it was off the road for a day when everything was greased up.

Deja vu, the creaking returned after another couple of months.

I forgot to drop it in to the dealers before the warranty expired so I just live with it now. I'll just have to remember to "grease everything up" when I p.x. it.

Sounds like it happens to a few people then,

I'm going to find out about these console bushes, I've read a bit about them on here.

My creaking comes from the front and back with no knocking.

Saying that, I have heard a clunk / twang noise from the front suspention twice recently but nothing major.

The creaking is very annoying though as i'm sure other people can hear it on the outside too.

I have this same problem in the damp / snow / wet and not just from the suspension but turning, braking and letting off the accelerator. Is this still the console bushes?

That or droplinks.

I have an 04 fabia with the same creaking suspension.

had a look round the underneath the car for worn parts. none found! will prob try fitting the seat bushs. does anyone no the part no for ordering them?

thanks

I have this same problem in the damp / snow / wet and not just from the suspension but turning, braking and letting off the accelerator. Is this still the console bushes?

This is the same with mine.

Do these droplinks and or bushes need replacing now then or just lubeing up?

Tez

This is the same with mine.

Do these droplinks and or bushes need replacing now then or just lubeing up?

Tez

They last longer if you spray them with PTFE grease, but it must be PTFE based, other grease will attack the rubber. They do wear out over time though. Not unusual for consul bushes to need replacing at 30,000 miles sometimes sooner.

Warmed up Waxoyl or other cavity waxes are good at getting rid of suspension creaks as well. Its the cold weather making the bushes harder than usual. Spray on all your suspension bits.

Feels like I'm at some kinda of STI clinic "oh yea I got that probem too, now my penis has fallen off - oh yeah mine too" but I too have this prob, along with the other usual suspects, I think I'm gonna order a full set of powerflex bushes they seem to be roughly the same cost as the Seat jobbies & take to dealer & get them fitted under warranty.

I know that the old bushes will be covered under the warranty but I get the feeling that If I got to the dealer with this all I will get in return is a handful of PTFE & creaky suspension in a months time... sigh..

I have to warn you, my powerflex poly arb bushes creak like a crazy creaky thing.Ali at Unit 18 kindly relubed them up, but 2-3 months later the creaks are back!

Unless by full set you mean the front wishbone bushes... not sure they do the rears? They did crappy push in inserts at one point

Edited by Confused_Cheese

They do do the rears & you are right about the insert's too (PFF85-602 is an Insert for the original bush. It is NOT a replacement bush ) from:http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products/Fabia+%282002-2005%29-230/1.html

I guessed that the powerflex jobbies would be worse being polyurethane but there isnt much choice as most VAG cars suffer from bush problems. Are the Seat cupra bushes the best option?

The problem with the standard bushes is to do with the design rather than the materials. The voids cause the problems, which is why Powerflex sell their 'udders' to fill them. But they're no help if the original bushes are already knackered. The Cupra bushes are solid, so there's no such issue with them. Based on experience, I'd say the standard bushes are fine for the front of the wishbone, so putting Powerflex ones in either position is probably more a matter of preference than anything to do with longevity or 'performance'...

The problem with the standard bushes is to do with the design rather than the materials. The voids cause the problems, which is why Powerflex sell their 'udders' to fill them. But they're no help if the original bushes are already knackered. The Cupra bushes are solid, so there's no such issue with them. Based on experience, I'd say the standard bushes are fine for the front of the wishbone, so putting Powerflex ones in either position is probably more a matter of preference than anything to do with longevity or 'performance'...

Hi

Bit of a newb but can you explain by the term " console bushes " i have an 02 fabia and its creaking like a good un!!

i understand the bit about seat cupar parts but never heard of the term console bushes

Thanks all

The consoles are the lumps of aluminium that VAG use to interface between between a few suspension and engine mounting bits and the car's chassis. These cars have strut suspension at the front and the bottom of these struts are held in place and allowed to move about (on suspension compression or extension) by track control arms - or TCAs, the rear of the TCAs is connected to its console by the TCA having a hexagonal pin and the console having a "rubber" bush with a hexagonal hole in it. Most Fabia, Polo and Ibizas have voided rear TCA bushes fitted - ie bushes that are not solid, the Seat Cupra is fitted with solid "rubber" rear TCA bushes. The voided ones tend to tear the legs or the webs through, this will not happen with the solid ones.

I got the jetwash under the car yesterday and hosed down the rubber bushes (not really closely, didn't want to perrish the rubber) and the creaking stopped.

My car was silent again over bumps and I was really happy with myself.

This morning I reversed off the drive and it creaked........ it didn't stop creaking over bumps and the MANY potholes that have appeared over the last month untill I had driven a few miles and everything (suspension wise) had "warmed up"

At least the car works, maybe I shouldn't be too bothered by it.

BUT I AM!! :@

The consoles are the lumps of aluminium that VAG use to interface between between a few suspension and engine mounting bits and the car's chassis. These cars have strut suspension at the front and the bottom of these struts are held in place and allowed to move about (on suspension compression or extension) by track control arms - or TCAs, the rear of the TCAs is connected to its console by the TCA having a hexagonal pin and the console having a "rubber" bush with a hexagonal hole in it. Most Fabia, Polo and Ibizas have voided rear TCA bushes fitted - ie bushes that are not solid, the Seat Cupra is fitted with solid "rubber" rear TCA bushes. The voided ones tend to tear the legs or the webs through, this will not happen with the solid ones.

thanks

that has helped