Winter Tyres

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winter tyres fitted for the first time this year and so cannot compare, but my Conti TS830 did well on snow and also on wet and dry.

They came second after Goodyears on a test by the swiss touring club.

There can't be many people out there who know what driving an old landrover feels like, Lady E!!! :S
I drove a Mk1 home when it's owner was too wellied after his leaving do. Never driven one before. The gear gate seemed to be asymmetrical, long 1st and 4th (or 2nd and 3rd) and a quarter turn of 'nothing' on the wheel (I'd also had a drink or 2 too).

sorry was mytyres.co.uk (thought I said that in first post, DOH!) :giggle:

Oh incidentally anyone heard any hard and fast rules about how I should store the summer tyres? Someone was telling me that having them hanging up on hooks in the garage (as I have) is "wrong" and they should be stacked horizontally.

Anyone know?

Why not just run the Nokian WR all year? They are capable of this (designed for it, actually, ever noticed the words "all weather plus" moulded on the side?), as long as you're not bothered about high performance in the summer then you'll be fine, I reckon!

Edited by riph72

Oh incidentally anyone heard any hard and fast rules about how I should store the summer tyres? Someone was telling me that having them hanging up on hooks in the garage (as I have) is "wrong" and they should be stacked horizontally.

Anyone know?

If they are on the wheel, inflate them and you can stack them on a tyre store thingamy or sit them as if they were on a wheel.

If they are off the wheel then I think you should stack them as if they were on the wheel side by side.

Why not just run the Nokian WR all year? They are capable of this (designed for it, actually, ever noticed the words "all weather plus" moulded on the side?), as long as you're not bothered about high performance in the summer then you'll be fine, I reckon!

To be fair the WR can be run all year, but are not really designed for this. All weather plus means you can run them on snow, or ice or wet or dry trarmac.

They are still a winter tyre.

Anyone know?

My local tyre fitter gave me the following advise; on rim then laid flat one on top of the other, need to keep them out of direct sunlight and ventilated so they don't sweat. His view was that storing them on rim in the as fitted position could flat spot them over time.

So I've put a square of thick ply on the floor with a 2cm slot cut to the middle to allow air in underneath and placed a light cotton dust sheet over the top of the stack.

Prepared the wheels for storage by removing stones etc. from the tread then cleaning and drying the wheels and checking pressures.

TP

To be fair the WR can be run all year, but are not really designed for this. All weather plus means you can run them on snow, or ice or wet or dry trarmac.

They are still a winter tyre.

I know it's generally accepted that they lean towards "winter" in their design, but are you sure that Nokian didn't consider summer usage during the WR's design? I'm sure they didn't just fluke it and happen across a tyre design that happened to work acceptably in summer too?

When I talk of tyre design, obviously I am considering the rubber compound as well as the tread pattern.

As you know, they are sold as all-season (i.e. not winter) in North America, and Nokian have personally recommended them to me for all-season use in the UK! (I know "they would say that", but if I have a crash during a hot summer because I'm on unsuitable tyres, they could be risking a lawsuit if they gave bad advice here!!)

I know it's generally accepted that they lean towards "winter" in their design, but are you sure that Nokian didn't consider summer usage during the WR's design? I'm sure they didn't just fluke it and happen across a tyre design that happened to work acceptably in summer too?

When I talk of tyre design, obviously I am considering the rubber compound as well as the tread pattern.

As you know, they are sold as all-season (i.e. not winter) in North America, and Nokian have personally recommended them to me for all-season use in the UK! (I know "they would say that", but if I have a crash during a hot summer because I'm on unsuitable tyres, they could be risking a lawsuit if they gave bad advice here!!)

Bearing in mind that they could potentially be run all year round, what speed rating are they? IIRC, they're most likely to be V rated, as opposed to Y rated tyres that we all use in the summer.

The reason I ask, is that come MOT time, the tester has a look at your tyres and sees V rated tyres on there instead of Y rated ones. Does he then fail your car for having the wrong speed rating on? Sounds petty, but could important for those of us who are thinking of running these tyres all year round and have a car approaching 3 years old or older.

I was told by somebody at nokian, they were a winter tyre, but they would be fine during the summer, albeit not ideal, as they were designed to run on dry tarmac conditions during the winter.

As you know I ran them through the summer and it's not an issue, although obviously wear is that little bit faster than with summer tyres on.

I was told by somebody at nokian, they were a winter tyre, but they would be fine during the summer, albeit not ideal, as they were designed to run on dry tarmac conditions during the winter.

As you know I ran them through the summer and it's not an issue, although obviously wear is that little bit faster than with summer tyres on.

well they do say "all weather " on mine so I guess they would be fine. However they are on black steel wheels and since Skoda charged me for the lovely alloy wheels on the L&K I will be putting the Bridgestone tyres on when Spring comes. A lot of people seem to have got into a mindset that when this snow goes away the winter will be over. Round here at least we can see snow all the way through to April so I'm not daft enough to think there will be no more snow, In fact the BBC are forecasting heavy snow for Saturday.

My local tyre fitter gave me the following advise; on rim then laid flat one on top of the other, need to keep them out of direct sunlight and ventilated so they don't sweat. His view was that storing them on rim in the as fitted position could flat spot them over time.

So I've put a square of thick ply on the floor with a 2cm slot cut to the middle to allow air in underneath and placed a light cotton dust sheet over the top of the stack.

Prepared the wheels for storage by removing stones etc. from the tread then cleaning and drying the wheels and checking pressures.

TP

that is a very good tidy way to store them! As far as I understand radial tyres do not tend to get a flat or a set fif kept on the tread/ Cross-ply tyres will however. Some people even claim that cross-ply tyres will even get a flat over night which needs driving out. It is probably as well to be on the safe side.

Bearing in mind that they could potentially be run all year round, what speed rating are they? IIRC, they're most likely to be V rated, as opposed to Y rated tyres that we all use in the summer.

The reason I ask, is that come MOT time, the tester has a look at your tyres and sees V rated tyres on there instead of Y rated ones. Does he then fail your car for having the wrong speed rating on? Sounds petty, but could important for those of us who are thinking of running these tyres all year round and have a car approaching 3 years old or older.

I've passed an MOT with them on so that's now a worry.

That plus V-Rated is good for 149mph so unless your car can go above that as it's top speed you have nothing to worry about anyway.

Y is 186mph and Z 150mph+ and unless modified I don't think any of the skodas pass that as a top speed, although you would need to confirm this for your own car.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Mine are "91 H"...

Ok. I'd assume the wear would be a bit higher than a standard summer tyre, but as has been said before, you've got to compromise somewhere!

I can live with slightly higher rubber use during summer to have a tyre that is pretty safe in all conditions and doesn't need to be changed twice a year.

I've passed an MOT with them on so that's now a worry.

That plus V-Rated is good for 149mph so unless your car can go above that as it's top speed you have nothing to worry about anyway.

Y is 186mph and Z 150mph+ and unless modified I don't think any of the skodas pass that as a top speed, although you would need to confirm this for your own car.

I'm not planning on going over 130mph, so I should be ok. In fact, I rarely get above 75mph these days :giggle:

Can only comment on all seasons tyres. Used Vredestein Quatrac 2 on my Passat. Lasted as long as various summer tyres~14k or so. No overheating evident even at full load running down the autobahn flat out (100mph only) with bikes and camping gear.

Speed/load rating was the same as OE Continentals.

This bit on the Nokiann site: two set's it is. And a can of TyreWeld as don't what to buy 5 winter wheels

Can I drive my friction tyres all year round?

We do not recommend the use of friction tyres throughout the year. Modern friction tyres may wear unnecessarily quickly, particularly on coarse spring roads. The wear may also be uneven due to abnormally rapid wear.

Friction tyres should be mounted in the autumn when the ground freezes and replaced when the summer sun starts to warm the pavements. However, if the tread depth in spring is below 5 mm, you can use the tyre up in spring.

AND

Friction tyres all-year round?

Coarse spring roads can be particularly wearing on all tyres and friction tyres are primarily designed and intended for winter use. Friction tyres that have been unevenly worn by coarse spring roads are no match for good summer tyres. Therefore we do not recommend the use of friction tyres as all-season tyres. Summer tyres are the safest and most economic choice for summer driving.

Edited by james26

For your information "Friction Tyres" are ones without studs in Nokian terms.

Some All-season tyres (eg Vred Quatracs) have the mountain snow flake symbol and cope quite well in Winter. We have Quatrac 2s and they work very well, however they are skinny and small 185/60 14 which may help.

Some All-season tyres (eg Vred Quatracs) have the mountain snow flake symbol and cope quite well in Winter. We have Quatrac 2s and they work very well, however they are skinny and small 185/60 14 which may help.

Ok thanks. Personally I think for me and lots in the 'warmer' south of england who don't spend the whole night on the road in the winter, the all season Quatrac 3 or the Goodyear ones are the way to go. I reckon by Sep this I will need new tyres, it really is too late now but the Quatrac 3 i'm really fancying for my 16" V size, I hope not nosier than the Conti Spot Contact one right now.

James.

Ok thanks. Personally I think for me and lots in the 'warmer' south of england who don't spend the whole night on the road in the winter, the all season Quatrac 3 or the Goodyear ones are the way to go. I reckon by Sep this I will need new tyres, it really is too late now but the Quatrac 3 i'm really fancying for my 16" V size, I hope not nosier than the Conti Spot Contact one right now.

James.

Too late? I hate to shatter your illusions but this is just the start of winter. Remember most years the snow really arrives at the end of January and throughinto February or March. We ain't in Springtime just yet, plenty time to justify new tyres :rofl:

FYI I spoke to Vred about the Quatracs and they told me that while the Quatrac 2/3 have M+S markings, they don't have a snowflake symbol on them. They even sent a chap into the warehouse to check, because I asked.

If anyone who actually purchased these tyres can confirm otherwise I'm more than happy to be corrected, but as I said I asked when I was debating them or the nokians.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Too late? I hate to shatter your illusions but this is just the start of winter. Remember most years the snow really arrives at the end of January and throughinto February or March. We ain't in Springtime just yet, plenty time to justify new tyres :rofl:

there is no snow falling out my door, it's just white rain..... When I called up two places today they said about 4 to 6 weeks for any winter ones right now! So that may end up been 8 weeks, so too late!