Winter Tyres

I've confused M+S with "snowflake on a mountain" in earlier posts, which hasn't helped emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

It is a bit confusing, but Winter road tyres are what cars want if you are using the road. M and S with snowflakes are probably better than standard tyres, but are not as good as winter tyres……………that’s unless you actually go off-road of course.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So with my Sports Suspension, if I get myself some cheap 16" alloys, what size (other than 16") tyres would you recommend, so that I don't have problems with clearances?

What tyres do you have fitted?

I'd recommend Michelin Primacy HP's. Although classed as a summer tyre, I've had no issues with grip at all on the ice and snow.

I've confused M+S with "snowflake on a mountain" in earlier posts, which hasn't helped :giggle:

Hope this link helps My link

Currently running the Yeti on Nokian's, no hesitation recommending them. Note; Yeti needs load index of 94, I think the Octavia is OK on 91.

Tyres from mytyres, rim's from dealer and fitting local tyre fitter £30. Another Note; mytyres can supply tyres and rims already built up but I found that to be more expensive.

4211093788_d3d0959843_b.jpg

TP

It is a bit confusing, but Winter road tyres are what cars want if you are using the road. M and S with snowflakes are probably better than standard tyres, but are not as good as winter tyres……………that’s unless you actually go off-road of course.

A tyre with the snowflake (as in the snowflake on a mountain, right?) is a winter tyre? That's the point of the symbol?!

A tyre with the snowflake (as in the snowflake on a mountain, right?) is a winter tyre? That's the point of the symbol?!

Sorry, the point I was making, ws Winter road tyres are what you want for driving on the road. The tyre is optimised for just that. M&S have other compromises. There is an article reprinted on the tyreman site stating that in testing M&S winter tyres take around twice as long to stop under braking on ice as opposed to road Winter tyres.

Sorry, the point I was making, ws Winter road tyres are what you want for driving on the road. The tyre is optimised for just that. M&S have other compromises. There is an article reprinted on the tyreman site stating that in testing M&S winter tyres take around twice as long to stop under braking on ice as opposed to road Winter tyres.

You appear to be making the same mistake now as I did earlier; confusing M+S with the "snowflake/mountain" symbol. They are two different things.

I agree with what you say about winter road tyres being the right choice. But a tyre with the "snowflake/mountain" symbol IS a winter tyre. The same is not true of a M+S tyre as you correctly point out.

You appear to be making the same mistake now as I did earlier; confusing M+S with the "snowflake/mountain" symbol. They are two different things.

I agree with what you say about winter road tyres being the right choice. But a tyre with the "snowflake/mountain" symbol IS a winter tyre. The same is not true of a M+S tyre as you correctly point out.

I think you are probably right.emoticon-0148-yes.gif I thought I was replying to a M&S comment, but on reflection and a quick look at previous posts, I can’t see it. Must have made that mistake, sorry.

They don't do them in the size that I need.

I need 225/45/17 91.

Try some Wintrac Extremes. They're not an outright snow tyre (more of an all winter tyre) but are getting some rave reviews over on seatcupra.net.

................ M+S with the "snowflake/mountain" symbol...............

Ah this is the bit that threw me. I read it as one item!! Feel better now emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Edited by Lady Elanore

The what happens with temp is above 7C to the winter rubber? In the deep south of england only in mid Dec it was 11/12C and raining hard.... You can't go around swapping rubber all the day.

James.

Well the Nokian WR are just fine ;)

Although I've not run mine through a summer yet, the research I did indicated this too. As has been pointed out, the Nokian WR is sold as all-season in North America, but this is just marketing, it's the same tyre as sold in Europe!

To answer the question, historically the problem with using winter rubber in summer is that it's too soft and wears quickly. The Nokian WR has a wear rating of 420 though, better than many summer tyres out there. The rubber they use is clearly more durable due to it's make-up, but you probably pay more for this.

The compromise I guess is don't expect razor-sharp cornering on them in the summer... you gotta compromise somewhere. But I drive like an old woman these days :giggle:

From what I originally read on the WR, they are leaning towards a winter design, but are reasonably good in summer too.

I left mine on all year this time as I have access to a second car for the 9 months a year when it is above 7C oop North. I only run the Sedici once every week or so to keep the battery topped up and with this low mileage the tyres have been absolutely fine (I do have the original tyres in a garage). The downside is the rubber is very pliable in warmer weather and the handling is very vague to say the least, not unsafe, but rather it feels a bit like driving an old Landover, a bit. When I change cars I hope to go down to just one and will try to buy a second set of wheel and winter tyres for use when the weather turns cold.

I'm down in Gloucesetershire and have had my Avon's on since December. Yes on occasion it has been above 7 Deg C but for the bulk of the time it has been below.

I feel given the mileage that I do it is an important safety upgrade at this time of yeasr - They go on in December and off in Feb / March. I did the same when I ran a Vito and got about 40k from a set. Standard michelin primacys I got around 60k from a set so they do wear a bit more.

There can't be many people out there who know what driving an old landrover feels like, Lady E!!! :S

Tom

There can't be many people out there who know what driving an old landrover feels like, Lady E!!! emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Tom

Oi!!!! they last a long time, so lots of relatively young people can have a play in them too. Mind you a LWB series III that we had at work was truly awful to drive. It had the turning circle of the Ark Royal lashed to an iceberg

What tyres do you have fitted?

I'd recommend Michelin Primacy HP's. Although classed as a summer tyre, I've had no issues with grip at all on the ice and snow.

Sorry for the delay in answering; Bridgestone Potenza RE050's.

I've decided to order some Autosocks as a stop gap measure, I can't afford to layout nearly £1k on wheels, tyres + F&B'ing, I'll see if I can order do it over the next few months so that I'm prepared for next year!

Edited by Indiana Jones

Sorry for the delay in answering; Bridgestone Potenza RE050's.

I've decided to order some Autosocks as a stop gap measure, I can't afford to layout nearly £1k on wheels, tyres + F&B'ing, I'll see if I can order do it over the next few months so that I'm prepared for next year!

eh? £1k?? I got 4 x nokian WRs on steel wheels incl delivery for £450. They came balanced and I just jacked up the car and swapped them over. Job done and drove along a road that hadn't been ploughed for three weeks - you'd have thought I was on tarmac the way it handled! :thumbup:

eh? £1k?? I got 4 x nokian WRs on steel wheels incl delivery for £450. They came balanced and I just jacked up the car and swapped them over. Job done and drove along a road that hadn't been ploughed for three weeks - you'd have thought I was on tarmac the way it handled! :thumbup:

Where, Where? I might be able to afford that!

Where, Where? I might be able to afford that!

sorry was mytyres.co.uk (thought I said that in first post, DOH!) :giggle:

Oh incidentally anyone heard any hard and fast rules about how I should store the summer tyres? Someone was telling me that having them hanging up on hooks in the garage (as I have) is "wrong" and they should be stacked horizontally.

Anyone know?

Edited by domhnall