Retro and a bit quirky

Hello folks;

Just aquired a locally supplied car, ex Brookroyds Harrogate.

£325. Only 45,000 miles.

Late '93 Favorit GLXi, in pale metallic blue. [Not sure what they called the colours back then!]Its got 12 months MOT and 4 months tax, drives really well, for its age. New tyres on front, recent full service pre-mot [so they say on the paperwork] Only done about 800 miles a year from circa 2001 - 2008.

Anything I should specially check over?

Only intended as a stop gap since my Felicia died but as the garage owner said, its too good to be just a 1yr and then scrap-it job. Looked after really well by its 1st and short term 2nd owners

Regards

Matt

I did check the sunroof, after last nights snow lying on the car and melting this morning, and there are no leaks. I decided if its sealed up then I wasn't even going to open it. I've owned several classic cars and I'm used to winding down the window for a bit of 'air-con' so not going to touch the roof.

Pictures asap after I've found the digi-cam. Suspect the older daughter has got it somewhere.

I did notice a little rust trail in the inside left corner of the hatchback window, but it appears to have been there a while and I am guessing someone has used sealer to re-seal the corner or whatever, since there is no sign of a wet carpet and there isn't any feel of dampness on the inside of the tailgate. Hopefully someone saw it and caught it, but I will be checking it again a few times no doubt.

I like these older cars from Skoda, indeed I'd love to own a rear engine one at some point. [mind you I'd like to own a 2 stroke SAAB too, one day LOL. My friends dad used to own a Moskovitch in the late 70s, there's a car you don't see now!

Regards

Matt

if it has collant loss it is usually the heater tap on the matrix, just run a finger under it to see if its wet, easy and cheap to fix tho apart from that enjoy it

I used to have problems with the boot rusting and water running into the boot! Best solution is some sealant underneath the rubber, and in the gap between the window and the rubber seal. :thumbup: Apparently the drainage holes get blocked in the rubber and then the metal starts to rust! :(

Right, thanks, I will check the tailgate drain holes just in case, and concentrate on enjoying it.

The digital clock inside seems to be screwy, it just exhibits 2882 all the time, do they commonly go, and are they still available as a spare part I wonder?

Hopefully that isn't the start of a lot of parts needed! Still, its ok, I like these late Perestroika-era designed cars.

Regards

Matt

The digital clock inside seems to be screwy, it just exhibits 2882 all the time, do they commonly go, and are they still available as a spare part I wonder?

Mine did similar. I got another which worked perfectly but then started going iffy too. I decided to leave the clock out and stick a blanking plate there from a lower spec model instead.

:) IMO the Favorit is a brilliant car, the Mk1 was a better drive, but the Mk2 is better built [especially inside] and more resistant to rust than the Mk1 and perhaps surprisingly the Felicia in my experience! Only the GLX models had a digital clock which was mounted in the unusual overhead "thingy" in the roof. TBH the anologue clock is better than the dodgy digital item which didn't often last very long!

Huzzah!!! lol I know what you mean about the Favs being more resistant to rust. My Fav only has 1 or 2 patches compared with my Felicia rusting on 3 wheel arches.

The mk1 is better to drive? I'd have thought they were both the same, the mk2 was 1993/4 when VW bought them?

:yes: The lighter Mk1 Favorit with the higher compression 136 engine and Jikov [Pierburg copy] carburettor and no catalytic converter was surprisingly nippy. The heavier Mk2 Favorit with low compression 135 engine, SPi and a catalyst feels lethargic by comparison. Overall the Mk2 is the better car really, but not as good to drive.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will take some pics of the car at the weekend. Anyone know anything about the colour options, names of them, got a leaflet or brochure? I can't seem to find anything. Will have to check the Bay I guess.

Analogue clock? Is this an electric fitting, that goes in the same place as the digital LCD one, in the roof? Might have to down / up grade if they work better. I saw mention of one on a pdf spares list from JButt I think, but not paying £40 for one if I don't have to!

Had a nice drive last night back from work, Kirkby Stephen to Saltaire, via Sedburgh, Kirby Lonsdale, Ingleton, Settle and Skipton. I never prepare to go on a journey where I need to keep the boot down, and in view of the road conditions it was a decent ride, I was quite impressed.

Regards

Matt

Analogue clock replaces the rev counter (you could simply swap the whole instrument panel I imagine). Out of the two I'd rather have the rev counter :)

Those digital clocks are notoriously unreliable - I've had 5 Favorits, and it didn't work on any of them, 8888 is all they displayed. Complete rubbish.

I'd get a £5 stick on jobby from Halfords and be done with it, or buy a watch ;)

Those digital clocks are notoriously unreliable - I've had 5 Favorits, and it didn't work on any of them, 8888 is all they displayed. Complete rubbish.

I'd get a £5 stick on jobby from Halfords and be done with it, or buy a watch ;)

A digital basic watch is £10 and you can take them with you or about £20 if you get the Casio Illuminator

The only to to find out about the seals is to try it i guess.

Vagcat says rear seal is 3220mm for felicia and 3210mm for favorit. I was sure the glass itself was the same, but I could be wrong. It could be that the glass is the same but the metal aperture it fits into, and hence the seal, is different. I think leaks in the fav one were quite common, so it seems reasonable to assume they redesigned it.