How can I stop skidding down hill?

This all depends on what car you are in and what you are following etc. I had a horrible moment in my old Volvo V70 in the Alps as 1st gear was long and the speed just kept coming. Obstacles were coming fast and the brakes indeed just made it worse. All I could do was drive into a snow bank and slow that way. If like the V70 you have a 4 speed auto with long 1st gear, then you will go much faster than a Mini with a short 1st gear, which is lighter. ABS surprised me when it was totally ineffective on the Ice, and as has been said just lost control of the vehicle.

Engine braking is preferable on ice. ABS brakes are very good. Some Yeti have an off road setting which allows more slippage or conditions like snow, allowing a ramp to be built up in front of he wheels. Cars with ABS are preferable to those with non particularly on ice. The other day I was driving a cheap 4x4 non ABS down a very steep icy hill. Normal ratio was too high for safety because the road was so steep so I engaged low ratio on the transfer box for a crawl. A short way down the car began to pick up speed as the wheels slipped on the iece and the engine turned to idle speed. Quickly I reacted by accelerating the engine to allow the wheel speed to match the road speed. This then restored normal control. On the decent I had to continuously adjust the throttle because no accelerator at all allowed the wheels to slip at times, while at other occasions, no accelerator was possible. Sometimes I use maximum engine braking at others I used the accelerator to match road speed. I maintained steering at all times.

Anyone with off road driving experience would know how to do the same, it is a simple and effective way of maintain control.

Agree with Anthony 1 and others - winter tyres would have helped. Beyond that, as has also already been said, if you lose traction while descending just using the idle revs of the engine, the only way to regain traction is to accelerate (but not too much). This makes it obvious that the first step is to make sure the hill is clear before you start to go down; most drivers are in too much of a rush to do this but it is essential.

Winter tyres would work much better on ice than normal tyres because they us rubber compounds that are much softer and stickier and will remain so even at very low temperatures. Normal tyres actually lose grip at temperatures below 4 C or even 7 C depending on where one reads because the rubber hardens. Also not only do winter tyres have softer compound the countless little sypes spread and grip what little extra available grip that they can find. Do not forget that these tyres have been pioneered in countries where ice is more common than here, So yes they do work better than normal tyres especially on ice.

What ever tyres are fitted one must still respect the conditions of the road.

I have been working none stop for the last 3 weeks in the snow and ice.

The best way to go down hills is to engage 1st and let the car go itself, do not touch the brakes or the clutch, if you feel the car starting to slide very gently blip the accelerator to regain traction, it also helps if you have vredestein all seasons on the front

Winter tyres have lots of little snipes in them which disperse the layer of water between the tyre and the ice which gives them some grip.

Sounds silly but you could try gently pulling up the hand brake as you may find the brakes are locking before the rears do anything. This could spin you arround.

I'm going to get some winter tyres for next year, I already have some M/S knobblies for the rally car, but unfortunately they won't fit the Octy. :'(

If you have a car with ABS, cadence breaking will have little effect, as this is what the ABS system does at a much faster speed, however when becoming a passenger in your own car when you are supposed to be driving, I'd probably try anything aswell. :S

Anyway, I eventually got to the smashed up cars, and waited my turn to go.

That was your mistake..... as you were waiting you would or should of seen the events happening in front of you and given and gone home. Nothing is worth risking killing someone.

Also, if you gonna risk it then its first gear and DONT touch ANY pedals.... ABS is worse than having no ABS in snow/Ice. This is why 4x4's have either low range or a Hill descent control, the later using the ABS but does it that quickly it has a better effect.

Steve