Windscreen condensation an observation

My other car also suffers from excessive condensation on the windscreen although the A/C clears it much more efficiently than in the Octy. One damp misty night I accidentally left a window slightly open, next morning no condensation.

Got me thinking is the problem with Octys because they are too well sealed?

Not advocating we leave the windows open but is there another way to increase the ventilation? Perhaps taking the pollen filter out which must effectively seal the cabin when the fan is not running? Anyone know if the Climitronic is auto set for recirc. when the engine is off?

Thoughts or other anecdotal evidence?

Yeah, condensation is only going to be an issue if the interior of the car's damp in the first place. A lot of people recommend turning the air con off a few miles from home to make sure the evaporator's dried out before you park the car. I believe this isn't actually possible with the Climatronic in the Octy without modifying it, but switching to 'ECO' should do the trick...

Once all the door seals were sorted out on the Leon (another VAG car, of course!) the windows still seemed to mist up more than they should.

I checked the pollen filter, and found it to be damp. A new filter was put in, and the problem is now solved.

For the sake of a few quid, it might be worth checking it out.

Mike

I seem to be having the same problems,where exactly is the pollen filter please?

Go to the front passenger footwell, and remove the foam trim from underneath the dashboard. There's 2 plastic screws holding this in.

Look for a rectangular plastic plate, slide the locking tab sideways, and remove, then reach inside and pull out the pollen filter. If it is damp, it will smell much nicer when replaced as well.

Also, a little tip for you all. When replacing the filter, put a magic tree air freshener on the side nearest to the centre of the car. All the air coming into the car will then bring in the smell of the air freshener. ;) I introduced Simbo to this trick, and I'm sure he'll endorse it well!

Mike

Thanks i'll have ago at the weekend.

Point taken, but the cause of misting up is damp in the car, and using a special anti-mist cloth isn't going to cure the moisture in the car. All it will do is stop the moisture condensing on the screen. The only sure way of sorting it out is to eliminate the cause of the damp in the first place

Mike

Yeah, sorry should of put that it still needs curing but this will help make the screen really clean plus if its got this anti-misting thing in it.

Changed my pollen filter approx 2500 miles ago, cleaned the front window, but still get loads of condensation on inside in the morning.

Takes an age, can be up to15 mins to clear (I am a stickler for not wiping the inside as it leaves it smeary).

Am gonna put an air freshener in it - I like that idea!!

Mark

I just put it down to the time of year. It's especially true when the weather doesn't know what to do. Cold-mild-cold-very cold-mild etc. etc.

Getting in with damp shoes, coats and that won't help either. A small moisture trap can help too. Homebase do small ones that fit the cup holders.

Hmm still left wondering why the pollen filter gets damp? In an old jetta I had the same problem and used to blame it on condensation from the aircon. Not sure where it gets dumped, maybe that can get into the pollen filter?

checked mine - lots of debris in it which i cleared out. it wasn't damp so i refitted it with a couple of sheets of bounce tumbledryer freshener in it which works well smellwise :)

Putting bounce sheets under the floor mats makes the car smell nice as well great if you buy one thats been smoked in

Had to laugh at the Octy's well sealed comment , Skodas used to be renowned for poor seals the joke was "How to the test the seals on a Skoda ?? "They put a cat in the car if its still there in the morning it passes"

Bearing in mind issues with the Fabia door seals and the window seals on the Octy its a reputation well deserved

Hold on a mo.....surely this is a rugged manly forum, we can't be talking about Bounce (other fluffy girlie smelly stuff is available) :rofl:

whats next...scatter cushions :giggle:

Funny you should say that :S

You've not gone and created a range of Skoda scatter cushions?

Good thread apart from the thought ot pink scatter cushions

I have been quoted £40.00 by my Skoda dealer to replace the Pollen Filter? Is that about right as it seems a tad expensive to me?

Edited by Plymouth Red

£40!!!! Get the filter and diy it it's dead easy, the filter is about £8

I have just replaced my pollen filter and the most difficult part was putting the felt panel back in place under the passenger glovebox. I'm 66 years old and have an arthritic spine so it can't be that difficult!!

What really annoyed me this week is that when I get in the car after it's stood all day outsie of work is that within a minute or so, it's steamed up but before I get in, it's fine. Looks like I'll have to investigate as others have suggested.

I have just replaced my pollen filter and the most difficult part was putting the felt panel back in place under the passenger glovebox. I'm 66 years old and have an arthritic spine so it can't be that difficult!!

Looks like a DIY job then :thumbup:

Just done it and so easy but like JuanOlpharte (love the user name by the way) took me longer to get the felt panel back more than anything else.

It was a mess and to be honest not even sure if it has ever been changed since new! It was literally full of dead insects, mouldy leaves, other bits of debris and was a bit damp too which may (or may not) account for the condesation on the windows.

Thanks to this thread my wallet £30.00 better off ;)

Edited by Plymouth Red

I too was quoted 40 quid for a pollen filter replacement when I had it in for service at two years. They forgot to mention the need for brake fluid replacement. :dull:

I got them to replace the brake fluid for 50 since its not an easy DIY job and replaced the air, pollen, and fuel filter myself - 40 pounds at Euro Parts.

In this terrible weather I too have suffered with condensation and ice inside the car. I have followed all of the suggestions on this forum, my rear washer pipe had blown off so that was fixed still condensed. I changed the dry pollen filter still condensed, I checked the carpets they were all dry, out of desperation I even left a dehumidifier in the car overnight, no water collected and still codensated, I do not know if this was a good idea in hindsight!!. One thing i did do that worked, well it has for the last week, was to readjust the door catches, all catches were moved in by 1.5 to 2mm, doors are a little more difficult to close but no condensation so far. I hope this is of some use to someone.......FYI if you place a piece of masking tape by the outside and bottom edges of the catch you can effectively "measure" the movement and if you don't like it you can restore the original settings. I remember my old mini's where to seal the elements out you really had to slam the doors shut....ahh teenage years sooooo long ago.