Shell Helix Ultra or other

Bigger Asdas are selling Mobil 1 part and full synth for petrol/diesel 4litres for £15.00.... Pretty good oil thats ofter overlooked in favour of Castrol Edge.

They are actually 5 litre bottles :thumbup:.

Our local VW agent, official VW 507 oil for £30.00 per 5 litre (incl Vat) or £12.00 per litre bottle

Motor Factor: Shell Helix Extra Ultra @ £34.50 per 5 litre

A "no brainer" I believe, not having checked Asda as yet, but I can only assume they will be sold out.

Yes it is, says so on the bottle.

IIRC it's made by comma.

Odd because the longlife III, I have got quite clearly says on the bottle that it can be used in those cases.

The only cases you need special oil is the big W engines that insist on VW506.1 0w-30.

TBH I'll use quantum longlife III, or mobile1 or whatever is cheapest at the time.

It only stays in 10k, so it's not an issue anyway.

I certainly wouldn't pay a penny extra for shell over mobil1 esp.

Sorry chap Halfords oil just like Comma oil is not VW APPROVED it "meets the specification of" (big difference) which is why you will never see Comma or Halfords on any VW approved oil list

why do you think it is so cheap?

as for backward compatibility

this is copied from VW website

Time and Distance Service

We recommend this service if you are likely to drive less than 10,000* miles in a year, and if you tend to drive in the following way:

* Mainly city centre driving, short journeys with frequent cold starts

* High engine loading activities, e.g. frequent hill climbs, driving with your vehicle fully loaded and towing

* Uneconomical driving using high rpms with heavy acceleration and heavy braking.

LongLife Service Regime

We recommend this service if you are likely to drive more than 25 miles a day, and if you tend to drive in the following way:

* Regular long distance driving

* Driving at a constant speed with minimum vehicle and engine loading, and minimal towing

* Economical driving

This LongLife regime has been made possible due to the development of new Volkswagen engines with the latest technically advanced longlife oil. These engines use built-in sensors that continually monitor the oil quality, making it possible to enjoy reliable and confident motoring for up to a maximum of 18,000* miles or 24 months (whichever occurs first).

*Please note that all mileages are approximate as the service indicator system uses kilometres as the distance measurement.

507 oils do not automatically supercede 505.01 as the test perameters are different for each

as a rule the good 507.00 oils are backward compatible with 505.01 but needs to be confirmed by each oil manufacturer

Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 is very good but it warns you on the bottle that it's not suitable for 3/4 cylinder PD engines on fixed service intervals without a DPF, if you have a more modern engine it will be fine

best regards

Sorry chap Halfords oil just like Comma oil is not VW APPROVED it "meets the specification of" (big difference) which is why you will never see Comma or Halfords on any VW approved oil list

why do you think it is so cheap?

It's not particularly cheap, especially when you go on trade pricing, where quantum is a lot cheaper and mobile1 is only a couple of £ more.

One could suggest then that the approval scheme and tracer elements added are a very expensive thing, which is why (if as you claim) some companies don't bother.

Does anybody know what oil is used at the factory? Just because "Skoda reommends Shell Helix" is a sticker on my handbook wallet it does not mean Shell Helix is necessarily in the engine from new. Car retailing is a global market and in different parts of the world there could well be different supplier agreements/sponsorship. The factory is likely to have more than one oil supplier to avoid dependency issues. Just like there is an element of pot luck in terms of which tyre manufacturer is used on your particular vehicle I would have thought the same applies to oil.

Surely the key is that the oil is compliant with the approipriate spec for the engine? (VW 504.00 in my case). Having just added some top up oil c. 200ml using Castrol Edge 5W-30 which meets this spec, am I more likely to incur problems than if I had used the equivalent Shell spec product?

I am not brand loyal, not for anything, read the spec, & trust the spec, presuming that the oil or whatever is not too cheap? or from a "buckshee" brand.

As I have commented before I run a 1.9 TDI on tractor oil, from new & her be currently at 226,000 and still going 100%..... however it was Case No 1 tractor oil which met or exceeded the relevent VW spec at that time, and Case was at that time was owned by Tenaco? a big reputable Yankee oil company.

I have also bought 20 litre drums of oil from the couple of local motor factors ..........whichever is on offer & is to spec & from a reasonably recognised brand, Ac Delco?, whatever.

I was also given 5litre of new unused alledgly to spec motor oil, which I have as yet refused to put in my high mile/ perhaps soon to be scrapped Galaxy, I will probably use it to spray the underbody or sommat.

Cheers

M

Does anybody know what oil is used at the factory? Just because "Skoda reommends Shell Helix" is a sticker on my handbook wallet it does not mean Shell Helix is necessarily in the engine from new. Car retailing is a global market and in different parts of the world there could well be different supplier agreements/sponsorship. The factory is likely to have more than one oil supplier to avoid dependency issues. Just like there is an element of pot luck in terms of which tyre manufacturer is used on your particular vehicle I would have thought the same applies to oil.

Surely the key is that the oil is compliant with the approipriate spec for the engine? (VW 504.00 in my case). Having just added some top up oil c. 200ml using Castrol Edge 5W-30 which meets this spec, am I more likely to incur problems than if I had used the equivalent Shell spec product?

VW use a few different oils suppliers

Shell supply oil to one of the main enigne plants (can't remember which one but could find out if need be)

Fuchs supply oils to some plants and obviously Castrol will supply to other plants

in short there is no one supplier to VW

I am not brand loyal, not for anything, read the spec, & trust the spec, presuming that the oil or whatever is not too cheap? or from a "buckshee" brand.

As I have commented before I run a 1.9 TDI on tractor oil, from new & her be currently at 226,000 and still going 100%..... however it was Case No 1 tractor oil which met or exceeded the relevent VW spec at that time, and Case was at that time was owned by Tenaco? a big reputable Yankee oil company.

I have also bought 20 litre drums of oil from the couple of local motor factors ..........whichever is on offer & is to spec & from a reasonably recognised brand, Ac Delco?, whatever.

I was also given 5litre of new unused alledgly to spec motor oil, which I have as yet refused to put in my high mile/ perhaps soon to be scrapped Galaxy, I will probably use it to spray the underbody or sommat.

Cheers

M

With the older TDi's you have a bit more artistic licence as to what oil you use

505.00 is an easy spec to find and supercede in your case

with the unit injector engines it's a bit more tricky

VW spec 506.01 tends to be 0w/30 and 507.00 is 5w/30, By the way i went into my local ASDA today,they have sacked MOBIL and have filled the shelves with CASTROL.

In my local independent today and I bought 5l of Pennasol 5-30 synthetic,£30, made in Germany, and has the VW 507.00 marking.

Edited by gregoir

Hi everyone,

Here in Portugal Skoda recomends GALP Longlife III for the new Tdi CR engines.

I donnot entend to leave any oil 30000km.

Could you tell me what oil is recomended for the CR engines in you country

Thanks.

Looking around for prices the GALP oil is the most expensive oil around 5L= 100 €

All others ( Castrol, Shell, BP, Mobil) are 70 €

Take a look at one of this sites sponsors Opie Oils (become a 'member' and you get another 10% off IIRC, it's free to 'join') there prices are around the most competitive (when there are no supermarket special offers on), they will also ship to Portugal, also look on eBay as there are ofted good deals on there.

I have used Fuchs & Mobil1 and highly recommend them both, you are looking for the spec VW507.00 for longlife oil i n a CR (assuming a DPF is fitted in the cars in Portugal, VW506.01 is good enough providing a DPF is NOT fitted)

Take a look at one of this sites sponsors Opie Oils (become a 'member' and you get another 10% off IIRC, it's free to 'join') there prices are around the most competitive (when there are no supermarket special offers on), they will also ship to Portugal, also look on eBay as there are ofted good deals on there.

I have used Fuchs & Mobil1 and highly recommend them both, you are looking for the spec VW507.00 for longlife oil i n a CR (assuming a DPF is fitted in the cars in Portugal, VW506.01 is good enough providing a DPF is NOT fitted)

All models ( VW group) with CR engines do have DPF soo it has to be the 507 spec.

• 5 months later...

I just had my 10k service done on my octavia vrs and I came away with mobil oil, asked the service guy and in his opinion its better than the helix

Mobil is a quality product

Mobil 1 is the top tier obviously with the Super 3000 sitting just below it, both are very good

Shell Helix Ultra is still a very good oil with comparable wear protection with Mobil 1 according to the "Bob is the Oil Guy" forum members who regularly do UOA's (used oil analysis)

We use Mobil Super 3000 Formula V in most of the Skodas in our workshop, with the exception of early PD engines on fixed servicing

Formula V as far as i can tell from comparing tech specs is Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 in a different barrel both are PAO synthetic have the same VW specs, pour points etc