Ford capri 1986 (D) laser

sharkrider

I'm going to look at one of these tomorow, for sale at our local (ind) garage/petrol station..... its in red, mint looking condition, no rust ect.. guy who runs the place must be using it as his 'driver' for now, as we just came out of sainsbury's and he was pulling out of the garage in it heading home, I know he's just got the car in a few days ago.... no dodgy smoke from the exhaust runs straight, no crabbing.. going to see it tomorow...

Q: do any of you know of any major issues with these? looking at it for swmbo, and though it may keep its value if looked after, as there arn't many left now, and it seems mint. Anything specific I should look out for? last time I drove one of these was about 1990!

thanks in advance.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to look at one of these tomorow, for sale at our local (ind) garage/petrol station..... its in red, mint looking condition, no rust ect.. guy who runs the place must be using it as his 'driver' for now, as we just came out of sainsbury's and he was pulling out of the garage in it heading home, I know he's just got the car in a few days ago.... no dodgy smoke from the exhaust runs straight, no crabbing.. going to see it tomorow...

Q: do any of you know of any major issues with these? looking at it for swmbo, and though it may keep its value if looked after, as there arn't many left now, and it seems mint. Anything specific I should look out for? last time I drove one of these was about 1990!

thanks in advance.

Usual Ford Ferrous Beetle issues of Rot around suspension top mounts, battery tray, bulkhead/inner wing joint, inner sills. Engines can be a bit tappety, look for blue smoke, could be valve oil seals when cold, oil control rings when warm, neither cost a massive amount to fix (usually engine out for oil control rings). feel for driveline shunt & juddering on transmission take up from propshaft/rear axle.

For something like this, if it looks right, then go with your gut instinct.

HTH

G

Rust is the main problem on old Fords. The mechanicals are basic and robust, OHC engine is around 100 hp (2 litre) 74 hp (1.6). The 2 litre has a twin choke weber carburettor, the 1.6 a Ford VV. The VV has an automatic choke and the diapragms are prone to failing, causing starting, running and fuel consumption problems. The engine capacity is cast into the block next to the alternator, 16, 20 or 205 if you're lucky. They weren't set up for unleaded, you need to run leaded every 4th tank and retard the ignition timing by a couple of degrees. Timing belt change is every 3 years/36000 miles, the belt is around £10 and just over an hour to do. The bolster on drivers seat can wear, check the sunroof and the wheels are date stamped.

The 1.6s are not quick, years ago when working for Europcar, a colleague in a 1.1 Fiesta beat me away from a set of lights (he had a bit of a rolling start), when I caught him up he boxed me into the slower moving car in front.

no issues other than rust , you can see if its a 1.6 or 2.0 ltr looking at the block , its actually cast into the side, basic engineering on them , its gonna have points in it , remember them.

I had 3 2.8 inj,s , brilliant but scary in the wet.

Rust is the main problem on old Fords. The mechanicals are basic and robust, OHC engine is around 100 hp (2 litre) 74 hp (1.6). The 2 litre has a twin choke weber carburettor, the 1.6 a Ford VV. The VV has an automatic choke and the diapragms are prone to failing, causing starting, running and fuel consumption problems. The engine capacity is cast into the block next to the alternator, 16, 20 or 205 if you're lucky. They weren't set up for unleaded, you need to run leaded every 4th tank and retard the ignition timing by a couple of degrees. Timing belt change is every 3 years/36000 miles, the belt is around £10 and just over an hour to do. The bolster on drivers seat can wear, check the sunroof and the wheels are date stamped.

The 1.6s are not quick, years ago when working for Europcar, a colleague in a 1.1 Fiesta beat me away from a set of lights (he had a bit of a rolling start), when I caught him up he boxed me into the slower moving car in front.

I know its a laser due to colour, reg plate (86), 5 speed box, and alloys...but the tailgate has no engine size on it, so will have to ask if its the 1.6 or 2.0... wondered about the unleaded... will lead substitute addatives work? I'll ask if its been converted to unleaded (hardened valve seats) Bodywork from the outside has no rust at all... I look well under the bonnet at mounts,innerwings ect and climb under for a look and poke around....

Theres no blue smoke, he'd just started it from the garage forecourt when e pulled in front of us, white smoke (steam from cold engine at lights, but completely clear on the move...

Thanks for the other advice in the other posts too... I'll look for driveline judder.....

no issues other than rust , you can see if its a 1.6 or 2.0 ltr looking at the block , its actually cast into the side, basic engineering on them , its gonna have points in it , remember them.

I had 3 2.8 inj,s , brilliant but scary in the wet.

lol.. yeah, most capri's have been backwards through a hedge at some point! our lass wont push it enough for that to happen ;) I kinda like the idea of mechanicals I can work on too... I remember setting up points with feeler guages ect :thumbup: as long as its reliable, and wont let out lass down....

she wont do many miles in it, maybe 7,000 a year.. will I be able to get classic insurance?

Definatly classic insurance , go and have a look on the capri owners club site , i used to run the n/west meet years ago and have a couple of mates with them still.

THe cambelt is worth doing , if its a 1.6 the valves can hit , not on the 2ltr tho , taller block.

What colour is it .

Normally the engine size was on the front wing......I think

Engine size-http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/index.jsp

Just fill in REG ,and make -it'll even tell you how much and when

Can't wait for a picture of it - if you have it!

I had a classic policy through Lancaster for my '82, Mk1 Fiesta... was £100 for TPFT, 6000 miles... but it didn't accrue any additional NCD to the 4 years I had as I wanted to insure another car.

This year I used the AA - £113, fully comp for 10K miles a year! Plus they were doing £50 cashback via Quidco. :)

Thanks everyone... it's a red one, all the "laser" transfere type stickers have been removed, just the ford badges remaining, I'll get the reg tomorrow to check it out, I just noticed it was a "D" the last year of production I think, or there may have been a few "E" reg 2.8's........ we'll fetch it along to a local meet if we get it :) I'll post back up tomorrow, after we go look, I'll try and get a pic. :)

lol.. yeah, most capri's have been backwards through a hedge at some point! our lass wont push it enough for that to happen ;) I kinda like the idea of mechanicals I can work on too... I remember setting up points with feeler guages ect :thumbup: as long as its reliable, and wont let out lass down....

she wont do many miles in it, maybe 7,000 a year.. will I be able to get classic insurance?

Don't forget, for a SWMBO car it's got a huge long bonnet :rofl:

My second car was a white 1.6L with a black vinyl roof - was pretty gutless due to the sheer bulk of the car, and certainly not economical for the same reason, but would stand out as something a bit different to the norm :thumbup:

I used to use AON for the insurance on my Capris. My last 3.0s cost £120 per year, unlimited mileage and an agreed value. They're an American company and were always pretty easy to deal with.

Had a couple, a 1.6 sport and a 2.0 laser, Both suffered from a loose rear window, ie you shut the boot and the window popped up from it seal leading to water ingress. If she is used to driving the Punto then the distance between driver and the front of the car and where the front wheels are maybe a problem to start with, no ABS and very lively rear end etc. Probably not an issue as much now but the bumper ends used to get nicked on a very regular basis. Also watch out for dodgy wiring in the engine bay that a muppet as installed in the past for the quad spots and £9.99 stereo.

This myth about them being deadly in the wet is really down to bad driving. I've had seven Capris over the years and the only time they bit back was when I was being an idiot. They were all daily drivers and even the 3.0 litre cars were fine in most conditions. The wife used to use them all the time as we shared our cars. She loved driving them and never once lost the back end, even in winter. I did a few times, but this required the use of lots of right foot and a pretty sharp turn of the steering wheel.

If you get it, then you'll be quite happy and I was never let down by any of the cars, they always got me wherever I was going.

p.s. There are no rose coloured glasses being worn either. :rofl:

Edited by skinnyman

read the block , that'll tell you whats in it , not what should be , i think its under the dizzy

Sort of; the 1.6l can overbore to 1.8, and the 2.0l to 2.1l. What capacity the engine actually is now would be a valid question!

This myth about them being deadly in the wet is really down to bad driving. I've had seven Capris over the years and the only time they bit back was when I was being an idiot. They were all daily drivers and even the 3.0 litre cars were fine in most conditions. The wife used to use them all the time as we shared our cars. She loved driving them and never once lost the back end, even in winter. I did a few times, but this required the use of lots of right foot and a pretty sharp turn of the steering wheel.

If you get it, then you'll be quite happy and I was never let down by any of the cars, they always got me wherever I was going.

p.s. There are no rose coloured glasses being worn either. :rofl:

Totally agree I've had 4 of them including a modified Mk1 and the only time I lost it was *rsing about :giggle: The one thing I would say is if its a 1.6 it will be slow so if it breaks stick a 2ltr in and you have an old school remap. Rust is the main problem.

Totally agree I've had 4 of them including a modified Mk1 and the only time I lost it was *rsing about :giggle: The one thing I would say is if its a 1.6 it will be slow so if it breaks stick a 2ltr in and you have an old school remap. Rust is the main problem.

Glad someone else here agrees. :thumbup: If they were that bad then back in the 70s and 80s, the hedgerows would have been littered with RWD Fords and Vauxhalls every ten yards.

As for rust, I've never owned a classic Ford that doesn't have any.

well, went to see it today, and spoke to guy who owns the garage... he's an enthusiast! He says, going by your age I bet there's bit of nostalga involed! lol... I said yes. He races a 3.0, and boughyt the red one for the shell, as its mint (refurbed 5 years ago, no exterior rust at all, and under the bonnet, all was well, innerwings top mounts ect) it is a 1.6 laser, 75k, all mechanically good. he said he got a 2.0 laser MOT fail, and canabalised that instead, so put the red one up for sale with 12 months MOT.Its a good genuine car... he wanted £1000, which I thought was a bit steep..... irrelavant really though, as swmbo didn't like it. She liked the look, but didn't like the rest! (I tried to warn her no mod cons!)

SOOOOOO we went to border cars for a look round, and (assuming her finance is approved) bought a 54 plate Skoda Fabia 1.9 Comfort! lol....... met blue, very clean 1 owner, service history (no cambelt change but convinced salesman to do the cambelt before we bought) 50,000 miles, and an sdi so engine just about run in :) all electrics, no funny noises on the drive, no wet carpets, back seats look like they have never been used! got a service, cambelt, valet, 12 months mot and 12 months breakdown, and 12 months warrenty into the bargin :thumbup: I'll post some pics up in the fabia section when we get it, hopefully next wed :):thumbup: