Engine problems Yeti 1.2 TSI

thq

I'll likely use/travel to another Skoda dealership in central Scotland.

it's a helluva hike but West End Garage at Uphall are excellent, been dealing with them for 15 years or so now.

MarieK, you and that lovely Snowy are needed over on the  '2wd or 4wd that is the question' post... ;) 

Arnold Clark don't talk to me about them, parents bought a Ford from them a few years ago and it was a real effort to get them to address warrenty issues, in the end had to go through Ford UK to get some action. Fortunately in Kent got two Skoda dealers in a 20 mile radius, so if I do get issues with one can always try the other.

I used to be frequenter of Renault Forums when I had a Grand Scenic. In the Renault section of the Parkers Forum, Arnold Clark  was universally known as "Arnie Sucks".  I'll leave you dear reader, to speculate why........

• 4 months later...

Dear All,

I am new to all of this but have had my 1.2 DSG since April 2010 (so out of warranty!), my wife drove it the other day and it went into safe mode, then failed to start after she switched off and on again a few times. Recovered by the RAC who took into an independent garage who said they can only turn the engine backwards, but not forwards and manually. We have always had a problem with it using a lot of oil and a rattling from the engine. Skoda refusing to say whether it is their fault, it has done 45k, had a new clutch and leads on warranty before. We also raised this within 3 months of buying it (we also raised it rolling back when crawling up a hill at the same time but it wasn't until December 2012 that they recalled for the clutch).

Does anyone have any experience of this as I fail to believe it is just my car that has done this......

HELP!!!!

• 4 months later...

Pleased to report that we finally got a resolution to the trail of faults with my 1.2TSi Yeti.

Skoda UK agreed to put a 5 year warranty / breakdown cover on the car and provided 2 free services as a gesture of goodwill.

Arnold Clark, on the other hand, despite all their errors, offered nothing at all. After much persuasion from Skoda UK they finally relented to looking at a problem with the brakes (the brakes had begun to judder during braking which coincided with the time that the wheel bearings were faulty - Arnold Clark had mis-diagnosed the wheel bearing faults for a long long time whilst the car was driven for thousands of miles on new discs and pads, causing the discs to wear unevenly and thus judder under braking). Arnold Clark fitted new front discs.

Hopefully this ends the sorry tale of problems with this car. The last 10,000 miles have been fault-free - long may that continue.

The moral of the story, if you buy a Skoda keep your fingers crossed you don't get a Friday afternoon one and do not ever go near an Arnold Clark dealership.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was a bit premature in my last response....just had the timing chain/tensioner changed, making this warranty/issue number ~18!

Work was done by West End Garage Edinburgh, efficiently and without quibble. Just as well I have that extended warranty!

Reliable car though? Nope.

• 9 months later...

...and warranty claim 19 - Rear nearside wheel bearing. That's the third wheel bearing (or is the fourth, I've lost count!). I could just about accept that if I'd hammered the car but I could not have driven it any more smoothly. :-(

Reading this kind of topics really scare me...

I decided to buy a Yeti 1.4 TSI (arrival foreseen: late April) leaving a very reliable Renault Modus. Honestly it would be a pain if the Yeti will give me more problems (meaning more than zero) that I had with the Modus.

It's true that for every car the internet is full of very negative and very positive experiences, but I have the impression that for the Yeti (in particular for the petrol ones) internet forums can offer lots of bad experiences...

Reading this kind of topics really scare me...

I decided to buy a Yeti 1.4 TSI (arrival foreseen: late April) leaving a very reliable Renault Modus. Honestly it would be a pain if the Yeti will give me more problems (meaning more than zero) that I had with the Modus.

It's true that for every car the internet is full of very negative and very positive experiences, but I have the impression that for the Yeti (in particular for the petrol ones) internet forums can offer lots of bad experiences...

There are perhaps now more than 250 members here, not all of them have reported "problems", out of how many thousands of owners, therefore the percentage of "problem" cars is minuscule. 

You will find every car forum is the same as NO manufacturer has yet built the perfect car!!

Stop worrying and have a Dubel!!

• Like 1

There are perhaps now more than 250 members here, not all of them have reported "problems", out of how many thousands of owners, therefore the percentage of "problem" cars is minuscule. 

You will find every car forum is the same as NO manufacturer has yet built the perfect car!!

5651 actually- but I agree as one of those who have had unacceptable problems[ paint blisters and water ingress] with both the Yetis I have owned, I can understand why someone would get a bit hot under the collar and perhaps get a bit hyperbolic about it all. Your sense of proportion takes a bit of a hit when you cough up 20k for something which turns out to be less than perfect.

5651 actually- but I agree as one of those who have had unacceptable problems[ paint blisters and water ingress] with both the Yetis I have owned, I can understand why someone would get a bit hot under the collar and perhaps get a bit hyperbolic about it all. Your sense of proportion takes a bit of a hit when you cough up 20k for something which turns out to be less than perfect.

Hmmm!

Where do you get the 5651 figure from? I don't think that is Yeti members of this Forum.

How many are still "active"?

How many Yeti's have been sold in the UK?

Perhaps some of us have a different way of looking at things.

My car has had a few "niggles", including having the doors repainted, but it hasn't put me off considering another one. Perhaps I have a realistic outlook and realise that no-one has ever made a perfect car, no matter how expensive, and what "niggles" I have had have been dealt with by Skoda to my satisfaction.

It is not acceptable to have to paint doors on newish cars or to take a car back because the rain is getting in. Nor is it acceptable for HT leads to melt onto exhaust manifolds etc etc. You would think those sort of things would be ironed out at the development phase. Look at the numbers of problems with the panoramic roof for example

5651 is the members on Briskoda--a large proportion of them are driving around in cars with the same equipment/engines, we are discussing.

If forums like this were not available the manufacturers would get away with murder and many more people would get fobbed off.

It's healthy discussions we're having here.

I have never had a car that leaked water before or had to be painted because of corrosion when 2 years old [and I have owned a Landrover Discovery, but that's another story]!.

VAG/ Skoda need to be better at the job of making cars. Minor faults I can live with. They are complicated things, I know that.

Motoring is expensive enough without having to cough up for a new engine or get a huge bill for respraying body panels when the thing is out of warranty due to lack of time in development by the designers.

I may as well add to this.

35,000 miles and new engine needed, To be replaced under extended warranty. Holed piston on cylinder 3.

I've had the car 11 months and it's always used oil. I must have put 4 litres in during this time. I've done around 10,000 miles during this time..

The JD Power and Driver Power surveys both rank Skoda (and the Yeti) near the top of the table when in comes to reliability. Whilst any problem is... a problem too many, and some people will have had absolute dogs, on balance I think we're better off with Skoda's than almost anything else when it comes to reliability.

• Like 1

People only tend to come to a forum to find out how to sort a problem so there are normally more problem stories than success stories on the Internet as everyone takes what is good for granted.
  • Like 2

I get the impression that some people always see their glasses as half empty.

Mines always half full............. :beer:  :beer:  :happy:

If mines half full it needs filling again  :D

• Like 3