iPhone Comapatability with Octavia Elegance 2010

I know this must already be answered somewhere but i cant seem to see it, but

Ive ordered a new Octavia 2.0 Elegance, and was choosing the option of multi function steering wheel for radio and telephone including bluetooth and wanted to know WILL it work , with an iPhone 3GS.

its not lised in the compatible phones list but IS IT ?

I know this must already be answered somewhere but i cant seem to see it, but

Ive ordered a new Octavia 2.0 Elegance, and was choosing the option of multi function steering wheel for radio and telephone including bluetooth and wanted to know WILL it work , with an iPhone 3GS.

its not lised in the compatible phones list but IS IT ?

From what I understand it will not work.

The BT in the Octavia is GSMIII and uses the rSAP protocol to connect to your phone via Bluetooth. The 3GS does not support rSAP.

The system in the car is brilliant, in effect its a full installed phone kit and external aerial.

I made sure my phone, Nokia 5800, had rSAP before I ordered the BT kit on the car

Hey Ryan, am in the same boat, researched this quite a bit. Hopefully can save you some time searching!

If you've got an iphone (inc 3gs), it doesn't seem to be worth going for the factory bluetooth option because although it is an absolutely *top notch* bit of kit (for example, the skoda bluetooth kit will typically use less battery on your phone than a normal bluetooth kit because of RSAP), the iphone doesn't support RSAP (remote sim access protocol) so it can't work together.

is there anything retrofit i can do to get the radio to connect to my iphone

The best option seems to be a "fiscon basic plus" kit at between £350 - £400 self fit (quite easy with step by step guides on the net). This integrates with your Maxidot display, and i believe also your bolero / columbus stereo too!

There is another option from the skoda dealer which is a standalone bluetooth kit (doesn't integrate with stereo or anything) but is designed to look factory fitted on your roof. See the accessories brochure on the skoda website. This doesn't seem to offer anything over a parrot BT kit for example, and it's fairly pricey for what it is.

Hope this helps,

Mute

I can confirm, based on my experiences, that the Octavia factory-fit BT phone kit will not with the iPhone.

Apple don't have the rSAP application on the handset. You can search for and see the iPhone but it will not pair.

I have a parrot system in my VRS pre FL. No issues with my iphone. My GFs Dad has a passat estate with one of VW's bluetooth kits. Its a nice unit that has a flat LCD colour screen about the size of a credit card. I believe it was £250 fitted inc vat at our local VW main dealer.

I think the MFSW is worth having so that you can then get the Fiscon kit which has a good review. The factory kit has a good review from everybody who has it working.

The iphone I believe will not do anything useful with the factory kit. The Ipod part of it might work through the MDI connector but the car kit will neither make nor receive calls.

does the factory fit bluetooth work at all with he iphone, and if so what does and doesnt work

The latest Skoda bluetooth kit is the GSM III which requires the rsap protocol which the iPhone does not have therefore, the iPhone will NOT work with the latest bluetooth kit.

The people who have factory fit kits working with the iPhone have the older GSM II module

Yes you can but from my point of view the problem is that you would first have to pay for the factory kit even though it doesnt seem to be what you want and then you would have to pay for the older module. I think you can get the old module for about £250, not sure if they are plug and play replaceable with the factory kit but they probably are.

and the fiscon kit, does it fully work with he radio, and iphone, access contacts, send txts, make callls from radio etc,

and does it charge the phone, and does it play music etc

do you NEED anything extra fitted at teh factory to get it done

and the fiscon kit, does it fully work with he radio, and iphone, access contacts, send txts, make callls from radio etc,

and does it charge the phone, and does it play music etc

do you NEED anything extra fitted at teh factory to get it done

Doesn't do texts, but to be honest, very few phones allow it these days and you shouldn't be texting when driving anyway. It doesn't charge the phone as there is no cradle with the kit, but if you have MDI then I think that will charge it.

Yes, it will play music, but you need to change tracks on the iPhone as it seems to ignore the industry standard commands that the fiscon sends to skip or go back tracks (works fine on works Nokia and my mates HTC something or other...)

It downloads the address book fine and yes, you can use the touchscreen on the Bolero or Columbus to dial numbers etc.

I took a slightly different approach. I have an iPhone 3GS and my Octavia is a company car. Fitting the Fiscon unit isn't an option for me so I got a TomTom iPhone cradle together with a Brodit ProClip dashboard mount, a Brodit TomTom tilt swivel mount and a Brodit MoveClip mini to allow me to take off the mount and move it to my wife's car easily.

The cradle has its own GPS chip in it and is also a great handsfree kit too. The sound quality is excellent. Whilst it isn't as good as being integrated into the car, it is the next best thing IMO. I don't play music from the iPhone since I have an MDI fitted with an iPod that lives in my glovebox. The cradle does have an aux out if required.

Here are a couple of shots taken on my iPhone (which is why it isn't in the cradle):

796086043_Z8PoW-L.jpg

796081359_dT8hE-L.jpg

796086026_hyD99-L.jpg

796086076_SiH4U-L.jpg

Edited by Phil Lee

I have concealed it as best I can whilst keeping it easily removable to swap to another car. Really there's only 4 " of wire visible and that's in the foot well. The upper part of the black line in the foot well is actually the panle gap into which I have fed the spare cable. I think my photo makes it look worse than it actually is. The cradle does allow music to be played through the aux. There's a 3.5mm jack on the cradle which you could connect to the aux in the jumbo box. I don't do this because I have an MDI fitted in my car. As to the GPS, it is definitely better than the built-in GPS and works with all GPS apps, not just TomTom. I've been using it with CamerAlert with good results.

I took a slightly different approach. I have an iPhone 3GS and my Octavia is a company car. Fitting the Fiscon unit isn't an option for me so I got a TomTom iPhone cradle together with a Brodit ProClip dashboard mount, a Brodit TomTom tilt swivel mount and a Brodit MoveClip mini to allow me to take off the mount and move it to my wife's car easily.

The cradle has its own GPS chip in it and is also a great handsfree kit too. The sound quality is excellent. Whilst it isn't as good as being integrated into the car, it is the next best thing IMO. I don't play music from the iPhone since I have an MDI fitted with an iPod that lives in my glovebox. The cradle does have an aux out if required.

Here are a couple of shots taken on my iPhone (which is why it isn't in the cradle):

796086043_Z8PoW-L.jpg

796081359_dT8hE-L.jpg

796086026_hyD99-L.jpg

796086076_SiH4U-L.jpg

That's about as neat and convenient as you could get for a non integrated set up :thumbup: - the Onyx interior would camouflage the cable better of course.

Has anyone fitted an OEM BT GSMII kit to a F/L Octavia with the Bolero unit? If so, is the connection block at the back of the radio the same as on the old unit?

I ask as I have the GSMII kit in my vRS and will probably be replacing the car in a few months with a F/L vRS, but I also have an iPhone, so think I may well take out the BT kit and fit it in the new car.

I've got a mail to Skoda UK asking about a swapping out the GSM III for a GSM II module, but so far no reply.

Not sure what the benefit of GSM III is. Wife has a new Yeti and that has GSM II with sterring wheel controls and it works a treat with her Nokia and my iPhone.

Think I'll be taking my B/T kit out of my current car and fitting it in the new one (assuming I order another vRS).

• 5 months later...

HI Guys,

I also have a 2010 Elegance but with Standard stereo SWING MP3.

Would the Fiscon work for me?

I would like to buy an iPhone cradle/Carkit or something that will allow me to:

-Charge my iPhone in the cradle

-Listen to ipod music trough the car stereo

-Answer the phone calls trough the car stereo (also by tapping the iPhone scrren)

I don't care for agenda import or dialing stuff because i don't have bluethoot or sat-nav fitted

The car is:

Skoda Octavia 2 facelift september 2010

1.4TSI DSG7

Audio is standard SWING MP3

I have multifunctional steering wheel

i have no VAG conector in to the glove box

Is there something on the market that will fit these requirements and don't need me to install a expensive sat nav or drill holes in my dashboard?

Thanks a lot.

Given the cost of the OE Bluetooth gubbins, I bought a Supertooth Voice portable Bluetooth thingy for £45 from Amazon. Its the one which uses a clip on your sunvisor but the device has a couple of magnets so that you can slide it off and charge it up (from the cig lighter) without anyone seeing it. Or slip it into your pocket when you leave the car. Its about the size of an iPhone.

It works absolutely fine and seems to last for ages betwen charges. Its also got a surprising advantage in that I can have it at my desk in the office (where there's zero signal) and park my mobile against the window on the other side of the room where there is. Works brilliantly (and so much easier than moving desk, computer, printer etc).

Disadvantages? Only one: its got a tiny flashing blue light which you can't see in the daylight, but you can at night. Bothers the wife but not me.

Oh, and if you have the OE Bluetooth, I think there's a box under the driver's seat which precludes putting the same box there as under the passenger's seat (£15 and very useful).

dill

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I'm driving a Octavia vRS 2010 equipped with standard Swing radio and Tom Tom Car Kit for iPhone. Currently I use the Aux in connection to play the music from my iPhone's when driving.

I'm thinking about getting the MDI connector retro-fitted, but first I would like to know if any one has tried to connect the Tom Tom iPhone car kit's mini-USB connector to MDI, and succeeded to control the iPhone/iPod via steering wheel?

The current setup works fine for me otherwise, but I would like to get the iPhone playlists controlled via multifunctional steering wheel.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

-Tero